6-months residency?

To keep abreast of site changes, or to post a question, idea or suggestion for the website.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
jdcoffman
Posts in topic: 4

6-months residency?

Post by jdcoffman »

Hey folks, I've been reading this forum up and down for a few weeks now (I'm signed up for my class this weekend). My one question - which I couldn't find an answer to via search - is... Do I really have to wait 6-months after moving to the Great State to get my CHL? I moved here in September 2011 and have a spotless record. I emailed my instructor for this weekend who said that it wouldn't disqualify me for applying before my 6-months are up (which I suppose would be March).

What do you think?

I ask now as I was filling in my online application and reading through the affidavit which mentions the 6-month residency requirement.

Thanks.

apostate
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 6-months residency?

Post by apostate »

The got rid of the six month requirement a while back. I think it was around the time they started offering nonresident licenses.
Last edited by apostate on Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ELB

Post by ELB »

IIRC, the six-month residency requirement was dropped a couple legislatures ago, which means maybe four years ago or more? I had to wait when I got here in 1998, but don't believe it is on the books now.

This post seems to cover it: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=44259&p=538692&hili ... cy#p538615" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by ELB on Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
USAF 1982-2005

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...read GC 411.173(a)...which says in part "...or if the person relocates to this state with the intent to establish residency in this state."

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Welcome to Texas. :tiphat:
You do not need 6 months residency any more...

Not sure if there's a special box to fill out on the form, and I think the fee is a bit higher... IIRC, you pay the non-resident fee to cover the background check for a non-resident.. but... No waiting is required.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/InternetFo ... CHL-16.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sec. 411.173. NONRESIDENT LICENSE. (a) The department by rule shall establish a procedure for a person who meets the eligibility requirements of this subchapter other than the residency requirement established by Section 411.172(a)(1) to obtain a license under this subchapter if the person is a legal resident of another state or if the person relocates to this state with the intent to establish residency in this state........
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topic author
jdcoffman

Post by jdcoffman »

Thanks for the quick replies guys, I really appreciate it. This forum has been (will be?) a live saver.

I went ahead and filled out the online application and sent it in; did the normal resident application since the non-resident asks for an out of state ID card. It didn't seem appropriate to enter my Texas driver's license information in as an out of state card. The card authenticated just fine within the normal application though.

Got my fingerprints taken last Wednesday, and took my class (100% on written, and 92% on shooting -- although I think a couple of the holes in my target that were quite a ways away from my grouping may not have actually been mine ;) )

I'll let you all know what happens, but I certainly don't expect any trouble.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 6

Post by C-dub »

jdcoffman wrote: although I think a couple of the holes in my target that were quite a ways away from my grouping may not have actually been mine ;) )
I've seen that before. A lady in my first class put a hole or two in the paper of the guy in the next lane during the 3 yard portion. She was advised that she needed to practice a bit more and come back another day for the shooting part.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

What was the vertical separation on those targets? It's one thing for a student to get bad hits on their target. It's something else to hit someone else's target. They're likely to shoot at a mugger and hit a bystander. :shock:
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

JD, what happened? Did you get your license? Was there any trouble with the residency issue?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

tbrown wrote:What was the vertical separation on those targets? It's one thing for a student to get bad hits on their target. It's something else to hit someone else's target. They're likely to shoot at a mugger and hit a bystander. :shock:
I don't remember the distance. I haven't shot at the Bullet Trap since my last renewal about 5y ago.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

speedsix wrote:...read GC 411.173(a)...which says in part "...or if the person relocates to this state with the intent to establish residency in this state."
So, I'm going through the manual because I'm renewing my license next week and this residency thing is bugging me. Doesn't this quote apply to the Non-Resident License? In this section it does say that a-1 was repealed from this sub-chapter. There is nothing in 411.172 about anything being repealed.

Topic author
jdcoffman

Post by jdcoffman »

Hey C-Dub -- I ended up submitting the normal resident application and fee and everything went through just fine. I got my license in about a month after my materials were delivered to DPS.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

jdcoffman wrote:Hey C-Dub -- I ended up submitting the normal resident application and fee and everything went through just fine. I got my license in about a month after my materials were delivered to DPS.
Very good JD. After I posed my question I noticed that you only had 4 posts and then wondered if you were still around to even see my question. Lucky you were here tonight I guess.

Topic author
jdcoffman

Post by jdcoffman »

Thank goodness for those email notifications... although now I've gotten sucked back in and have spent the last 2 hours readings other posts on the forum getting caught up. :lol:

I've only been in Texas for about 5 months now.

Month 2 - I bought my first gun, a Glock 22 .40 (early Christmas gift for myself)
Month 4 - Knowing that my plastic was on the way got myself a Ruger LCP, now carry it as often as I can (work prohibits weapons). When I'm not carrying, it stays in the car.
Month 5 - (Today) bought my first pair of boots

If this trend continues my move to Texas may not end up being as a big a 'cost savings' as I thought it would be (relocated from the east coast where only criminals and LEOs have guns). I've got my eyes on a 9mm next (probably a baby glock), then a 1911 will be my purchase after that. :txflag:

Cheers!

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

jdcoffman wrote:Thank goodness for those email notifications... although now I've gotten sucked back in and have spent the last 2 hours readings other posts on the forum getting caught up. :lol:

I've only been in Texas for about 5 months now.

Month 2 - I bought my first gun, a Glock 22 .40 (early Christmas gift for myself)
Month 4 - Knowing that my plastic was on the way got myself a Ruger LCP, now carry it as often as I can (work prohibits weapons). When I'm not carrying, it stays in the car.
Month 5 - (Today) bought my first pair of boots

If this trend continues my move to Texas may not end up being as a big a 'cost savings' as I thought it would be (relocated from the east coast where only criminals and LEOs have guns). I've got my eyes on a 9mm next (probably a baby glock), then a 1911 will be my purchase after that. :txflag:

Cheers!
Since you already have a G22, I would recommend going with the baby .40 (G27) and not the 9mm. This will give you compatibility with the larger mags that will fit in the G27 and common ammo.

Return to “Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions”