L1 Fingerprints in Texas only?

To keep abreast of site changes, or to post a question, idea or suggestion for the website.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
JALLEN
Posts in topic: 3

L1 Fingerprints in Texas only?

Post by JALLEN »

When I went online to schedule fingerprints, I saw that L1 does them in California. I believe I had read somewhere, maybe here, that as long as L1 does them, they can be done anywhere. On the L1 site, however, if the prints are for Texas, they only schedule those for locations in Texas.

I suppose it would be no bother to get them done next trip. I usually bring my fingerprints with me on such travels. It might be more convenient if they could be done here, though.

Any insights into this?
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

MoJo
Posts in topic: 2

Re: L1 Fingerprints in Texas only?

Post by MoJo »

Call DPS and ask them.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Crossfire »

If there is a way for L-1 to muck this up, then they will. Trust me. Wait til you get to Texas.

DPS won't start your background check until after they get all paperwork, anyways. And that includes your class completion form.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Topic author
JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

Getting a license as a non-resident isn't as easy as they make out, if you have to go there to get the qualifications.

When I got Utah and Florida permits, I was able to take the required class, take the prints, and photos here.

Can the class be taken only in Texas too, or can an auschlander be empowered to teach it?
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

MoJo
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MoJo »

JALLEN wrote:Getting a license as a non-resident isn't as easy as they make out, if you have to go there to get the qualifications.

When I got Utah and Florida permits, I was able to take the required class, take the prints, and photos here.

Can the class be taken only in Texas too, or can an auschlander be empowered to teach it?
The class must be taken in Texas.

from the FAQs:

71. I am an instructor and I understand that I can teach anywhere in Texas, however, can I hold a class in another state?

No. All concealed handgun courses must be taught in Texas.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

MoJo's correct. So, unless you plan to come on a visit and get your class and fingerprints done while here, your best bet will be to carry on your other license(s) and get scheduled for the class ASAP. This will also be a plus due to not having to change your physical address on the license once you move here. Just don't forget to change it on your Florida and Utah licenses. Additionally, once your Utah is up for renewal, unless you have a license from the state you reside in, you will not be able to renew it.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

bayouhazard

Post by bayouhazard »

Texas will honor almost any license. Even NY and CA licenses are valid in Texas despite the lack of mutual respect.

So, there's not much reason for a NONresident to get a Texas license unless they're moving here, visit often, or make a hobby of collecting licenses from different states. Considering the cost and hoops to jump through, even some Texas residents choose to get a license from a state friendlier to concealed carry licenses.

I say vote with your wallet if the boneheadedness bothers you.

Topic author
JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

Well, I'm moving back as soon as our house here sells. I'll be back in Texas for various family and HS reunion functions, maybe, before the move, so I'll just plan an extra day next trip, or maybe just wait. If it were possible to take care of it from here, I would. I've already paid the fees etc.

Return to “Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions”