Should I even waste my time??

To keep abreast of site changes, or to post a question, idea or suggestion for the website.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
curiousTexan
Posts in topic: 3

Should I even waste my time??

Post by curiousTexan »

Thank you in advance!
Last edited by curiousTexan on Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Should I even waste my time??

Post by Crossfire »

If you were convicted of felony grade juvenile deliquent conduct, then you need to be at least 10 years past your conviction, and it appears you are as of Jan 2012.

If you have actually been diagnosed as having bipolar disorder, then that IS a disqualifier. You need to talk with your doctor and find out what has actually been recorded in your medical records.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Topic author
curiousTexan

Post by curiousTexan »

I spoke to him this morning and he said that the diagnosis is bipolar disorder NOS (not otherwise specified). Which I believe means that you have a few of the symptoms but cannot be actually classified as having full blown bipolar disorder.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 1

Post by WildBill »

Can you get your psychiatrist to sign a statement that states:

You are capable of exercising sound judgment with respect to the proper use and storage of a handgun and that the psychiatric disorder or condition is in remission and is not reasonably likely to develop at a future time?

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer or an MD.
NRA Endowment Member

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Personally, I think it is unlikely that your psychiatrist will sign anything that could imply liability: he has already said he "cannot vouch for tomorrow".

You are eligible to get a Florida Non-resident concealed weapons permit, so I would simply take that route.

To be federally disqualified for mental reasons, you have to have been adjudicated -- a legal process. Every other "shall issue" state that I am aware of follows the federal guidelines. In my opinion, Texas is too stringent for disqualifying on a simple diagnosis without any legal process before a judge to determine that you are likely to harm yourself or others.

My opinion, worth what you paid for it.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

I would say get a diagnosis letter from your doctor and call DPS with your question. Either they disqualify you over the phone or let you know if you can apply.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Topic author
curiousTexan

Post by curiousTexan »

Well here is where I am literally stuck. I asked to receive a copy of my chart and got it in the mail yesterday after I posted this. On my first appointment it has me written down for bipolar II and ADHD. The most recent appointment is bipolar disorder NOS. My chart states "Risk of Violence: low", "Impulsivity: minimal", "anxiety: mild", "Suicide/violence Risk: NONE". But I am having a HUGE issue with this chart. There are things in there that are not correct, it is all out of order, and everything that is described mentions absolutely ZERO symptoms for any bipolar issue, just with depression. SO, here is my newest questions. Should I receive a second opinion? Will that opinion override his? If I stick with what I have then I have absolutely zero idea what to legally place as my diagnosis because if I put something and they find something else it will seem like I am lying. I do not know where they will get my medical history from. I read that with the bipolar NOS you are not legally diagnosed bipolar because there are too few symptoms (in my case) to place me in that category, so do I write depression? Ahh this is so stressful. Thank you all for your responses. I do believe that I would be able to go to my doctor and tell him that with everything he has written in my chart that he should have no issue writing me a letter of release but like I said, I have a HUGE issue with this chart. Oh well, I will also try and call the DPS this morning and see what I can find out. Thank you again.

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Crossfire »

Curious - when it comes to cases like yours, DPS will not give you an answer over the phone. This would be reviewed by the medical board, and could take some time. No one here can give you a definitive answer.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Return to “Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions”