Submitting Checklist Online?

To keep abreast of site changes, or to post a question, idea or suggestion for the website.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
JoeMal
Posts in topic: 3

Submitting Checklist Online?

Post by JoeMal »

Hello All-

Took my CHL class yesterday and I'm looking to get the rest of my items sent off to the state. I submitted my APPLICATION online about 3 weeks ago.

I saw on my checklist information that I can submit my other documentation online as well? To include:
-Checklist w/ barcode
-CHL-6 Form
-Passport photos
-CHL-100 Training Form

Is this correct? I can scan these items to my computer and send them online? Does it speed up the process? Here is the link I found:
https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/contact/default.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also...I selected the 'indigent' application that was essentially half-price of the 'standard' application. From what I understand, they want a copy of your 1040 (for whatever reason). I selected this option to save a few bucks as I really don't care if the state knows how much money I make.

After talking with another guy in my class yesterday, he though the indigent application was only for people who are below the poverty line. Is that true? If that is true...how does one correct that issue if you make above poverty level?

Thanks for all your help in advance :tiphat:
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it illegal for sober people to own cars.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Submitting Checklist Online?

Post by WildBill »

JoeMal wrote:Hello All-

Also...I selected the 'indigent' application that was essentially half-price of the 'standard' application. From what I understand, they want a copy of your 1040 (for whatever reason). I selected this option to save a few bucks as I really don't care if the state knows how much money I make.
The reason for wanting a 1040 Form is to show proof of your income. :headscratch

Check out this thread viewtopic.php?f=7&t=45951" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Basically the number is $10,890 for a family of one.
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administra ... eqDocs.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
JoeMal

Post by JoeMal »

WildBill wrote:
JoeMal wrote:Hello All-

The reason for wanting a 1040 Form is to show proof of your income. :headscratch

Check out this thread viewtopic.php?f=7&t=45951" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Basically the number is $10,890 for a family of one.
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administra ... eqDocs.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Makes sense now :banghead: When I completed my app I never saw that breakdown

So you think I can simply submit a check for the difference with my mailed paperwork and they'll figure it out? Or do I need to submit a new app?
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it illegal for sober people to own cars.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

JoeMal wrote:So you think I can simply submit a check for the difference with my mailed paperwork and they'll figure it out? Or do I need to submit a new app?
Probably, but I would give them a call just in case. OR sending them a note with the check. An instructor on the forum will be able to advise you of the best thing to do.

P.S. The state already knows how much money you make. If you ever have gone to the unemployment office, they can pull up your stats in about ten seconds.
NRA Endowment Member

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Lewis Kram wrote:
WildBill wrote:
JoeMal wrote:So you think I can simply submit a check for the difference with my mailed paperwork and they'll figure it out? Or do I need to submit a new app?
Probably, but I would give them a call just in case. OR sending them a note with the check. An instructor on the forum will be able to advise you of the best thing to do.

P.S. The state already knows how much money you make. If you ever have gone to the unemployment office, they can pull up your stats in about ten seconds.
They know your wages reported by employers when the employers pay SUTA taxes. I don't think they can pull up self employment or investment income.
I doubt that Mr. Joe is self-employed or has any investment income. If he did he wouldn't be trying to apply as an indigent person.
NRA Endowment Member

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Lewis Kram wrote:It looks like he chose it because it was half price without knowing what indigent means.
JoeMal wrote:Also...I selected the 'indigent' application that was essentially half-price of the 'standard' application. From what I understand, they want a copy of your 1040 (for whatever reason). I selected this option to save a few bucks as I really don't care if the state knows how much money I make.

After talking with another guy in my class yesterday, he though the indigent application was only for people who are below the poverty line. Is that true? If that is true...how does one correct that issue if you make above poverty level?
Now he knows.
NRA Endowment Member

boba

Post by boba »

I think you should call DPS on Monday and explain your mistake. They should be able to fix it without you forfeiting what you already paid.

Topic author
JoeMal

Post by JoeMal »

Well I called the state today and asked what they thought;

I simply needed to include a letter with my paperwork stating that I am requesting to change my application from 'indigent' to 'standard' and include the other $70 via check or MO.

I did so and my paperwork is in the mail.

Thanks all for helping.

Return to “Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions”