Some people just want to be a jerk

To keep abreast of site changes, or to post a question, idea or suggestion for the website.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 4

Some people just want to be a jerk

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

It seems that in every election year, as well as years that have a Texas legislation session, we have more people who seem to enjoy making snide and/or insulting comments without directly violating Forum Rules. I've had emails and PMs from Members complaining about this phenomenon and I wish I had an answer for the problem. Most of those comments come from Members with a rich history of doing this and there's no doubt that being able to be a jerk anonymously is a factor.

So, from this point on, anyone who wants to push the envelope and sprinkle snide comments on the Forum without going so far as to break Forum Rules will have to do so using their real names. Their screen name will be changed to their real names, but only after we have enough information to confirm their new screen name. Until then, their registration will be deactivated. So everyone has a choice -- be nice and enjoy anonymity, or be nasty and snide under your own name.

Chas.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Some people just want to be a jerk

Post by WildBill »

:thumbs2:
NRA Endowment Member

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

WildBill wrote::thumbs2:
Jerkism, as it's sometimes called, may not be a matter of choice, it could be a genetic defect?

OldGrumpy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by OldGrumpy »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:It seems that in every election year, as well as years that have a Texas legislation session, we have more people who seem to enjoy making snide and/or insulting comments without directly violating Forum Rules. I've had emails and PMs from Members complaining about this phenomenon and I wish I had an answer for the problem. Most of those comments come from Members with a rich history of doing this and there's no doubt that being able to be a jerk anonymously is a factor.

So, from this point on, anyone who wants to push the envelope and sprinkle snide comments on the Forum without going so far as to break Forum Rules will have to do so using their real names. Their screen name will be changed to their real names, but only after we have enough information to confirm their new screen name. Until then, their registration will be deactivated. So everyone has a choice -- be nice and enjoy anonymity, or be nasty and snide under your own name.

Chas.
:iagree: :txflag: :patriot:
Love God, Family, USA, and Texas
Act justly, love mercy, walk humbly with God - Micah 6:8

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:... we have more people who seem to enjoy making snide and/or insulting comments without directly violating Forum Rules. ...
For all the observations about politically stupid, naive, or offensive statements made by the "OC Bomb-throwers", I've noticed even more rude, snide, insulting and offensive comments coming from a number of people who are throwing stones at the OC crowd. I've found far more anti OC comments to be disgusting than the other offensive pro OC comments.

Last I looked, the "enemy" were the gun-banning idiots out there trying to trample all of our rights. Yet the infighting and ugliness demonstrated by both extremes of the OC spectrum -- pro and anti -- are frankly disappointing.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Jumping Frog wrote: {snip}
Last I looked, the "enemy" were the gun-banning idiots out there trying to trample all of our rights. Yet the infighting and ugliness demonstrated by both extremes of the OC spectrum -- pro and anti -- are frankly disappointing.
"...united we stand, divided we fall..." Somebody said that somewhere, sometime? :headscratch

Jason K
Banned

Post by Jason K »

Jumping Frog wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:... we have more people who seem to enjoy making snide and/or insulting comments without directly violating Forum Rules. ...
For all the observations about politically stupid, naive, or offensive statements made by the "OC Bomb-throwers", I've noticed even more rude, snide, insulting and offensive comments coming from a number of people who are throwing stones at the OC crowd. I've found far more anti OC comments to be disgusting than the other offensive pro OC comments.

I agree. Let's be fair with both sides, here....

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

This post is just a reminder that this policy is still in effect. We just lost a member (banned) because he refused to post his childish insults and rants under his real name. (This is typical of keyboard Rambos who enjoy anonymity, but wouldn't dream of signing their real name to their posts.) Anyone who wants to join him can follow suit. We have great Members and the very few who just can't shake the OpenCarry.org/OCT/OCTC obnoxious attitude will not be tolerated.

Chas.

Jeff B.

Post by Jeff B. »

As guests, we should behave as expected by our host.

In any situation, public or private, good manners and civility go along way towards making all things a great deal easier.

Also, some of us don't have as quick a wit or imaginations as others and guessing our real names wouldn't be real hard.

;-)

Jeff B.
Don’t ever let someone get away with telling you that no one wants to take your guns. - Joe Huffman

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Well done Charles! Thank you. It is indeed refreshing to have an absence of those type individuals who permeate and populate other forums. :tiphat:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

Just for clarification, Charles, if I agree to post under my real name I can be snide and obnoxious and push the envelope?? (I'm just trying to make sure I understand this before I ask for the change.) :biggrinjester:
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

baldeagle wrote:Just for clarification, Charles, if I agree to post under my real name I can be snide and obnoxious and push the envelope?? (I'm just trying to make sure I understand this before I ask for the change.) :biggrinjester:
And the corollary to that, since I have always used my own name, I have been passing up chances to be snide and obnoxious? :reddevil
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

TomsTXCHL
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TomsTXCHL »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:This post is just a reminder that this policy is still in effect. We just lost a member (banned) because he refused to post his childish insults and rants under his real name.
This thread is IMO ineffective without giving examples. Links please, to posts that got people banned...?

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

TomsTXCHL wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:This post is just a reminder that this policy is still in effect. We just lost a member (banned) because he refused to post his childish insults and rants under his real name.
This thread is IMO ineffective without giving examples. Links please, to posts that got people banned...?
We could start with this last actually. If people will read the Forum rules and the guidelines set for discussing OC then Mr. Cotton's post is very clear.

TomsTXCHL
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TomsTXCHL »

carlson1 wrote:
TomsTXCHL wrote:
We could start with this last actually. If people will read the Forum rules and the guidelines set for discussing OC then Mr. Cotton's post is very clear.
Good grief, I am only trying to understand. And you've linked to neither the rules nor the "guidelines set for discussing OC". How hard do you have to make this..

:???:

Return to “Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions”