The Forum will be down for a software upgrade/migration

To keep abreast of site changes, or to post a question, idea or suggestion for the website.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 7

Re: The Forum will be down for a software upgrade/migration

Post by baldeagle »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
WildBill wrote:The page looks different. It only fills about half of the screen, it is centered in the middle.
I've added an extension that should allow Members to change the setting in their User Control Panel to allow full width display on whatever device they are using.

The User Control Panel is under your name in the upper right of the screen. From there, select "Board preferences," then select "Edit display options." Scroll to the bottom of the page and set "Use maximum width" to "yes."

I don't know if this will address the desktop v. mobile version or not.

Chas.
Thank you, Charles. That's much better.

BTW, I went over to the developers board and poked around. It seems that some of the developers think onmouseover dropdown menus are a thing of the past and should no longer be used. There's a big fight going on as to who is right. So maybe the next update will include an option to make the menu onmouseover enabled if you want it that way.

Thanks again for all the hard work. I'm well aware of how you've spend your weekend working on this instead of enjoying life.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

WildBill
Posts in topic: 6

Post by WildBill »

Works for me! Thanks Charles!

I noticed another issue when I switched to full screen.
Some of the videos [video][/video] and [youtube][/youtube] videos show "Invalid BBCode".
When I switch back to the "regular" viewing I can see all of them. Very strange!
NRA Endowment Member

joe817
Posts in topic: 2

Post by joe817 »

When I go to "Quick Links" in the upper left hand corner, then go to "your posts", a little 1/2 circle with an arrow comes up. Click on it and a pop up window comes up that lets you put in a page number to jump to that page of your posts. When I enter a number and press "go" nothing happens. It doesn't jump to that page number you typed in.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

K5GU
Posts in topic: 3

Post by K5GU »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
AndyC wrote:Thank you for the effort - it's really appreciated.

One possible suggestion: I noticed that clicking a link now takes one away from the forum completely and to that other website, instead of just opening another tab automatically for that linked website. Could this be changed?
Andy, I've added the extension to force all links to open in a new tab.

Chas.
And it's working great. Thanks Charles!
Life is good.

SATX-Scrub

Post by SATX-Scrub »

In the past, my opening page had a link for 'new' or 'unread' posts. I no longer see that. Did I miss something?
“He looked like an accountant or a serial-killer type. Definitely one of the service industries.”
― Kinky Friedman, Elvis, Jesus, and Coca-Cola
http://atomicnumber13.blogspot.com/

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

It's under Quick Links now. In the upper left hand corner.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison

SATX-Scrub

Post by SATX-Scrub »

baldeagle wrote:It's under Quick Links now. In the upper left hand corner.
Thank you, sir!!!
“He looked like an accountant or a serial-killer type. Definitely one of the service industries.”
― Kinky Friedman, Elvis, Jesus, and Coca-Cola
http://atomicnumber13.blogspot.com/

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 18

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Russell wrote:Just to be a demanding user: If it's an option to get the "old style" phpBB template back that'd be swell. I prefer that layout to this new one and had that set as my default. :)
I prefer it (Subsilver) too, but it isn't available. I loaded a version of it that is supposed to be almost the same, but it was horrible! Very poor quality rendering and at least some of the new features didn't work.

Chas.

rtschl
Posts in topic: 1

Post by rtschl »

Thanks for the hard work Charles!
Ron
NRA Member

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Charles, In the other thread about the slow downs, it was mentioned how large this sites database has become and how preservation of the history is important. There may be a decent compromise and option that may help. I am not an forum expert so I may be barking up the wrong tree. I've noticed some forums seem to have an archive function. This allows the posts to be archived separate from the primary active database and even though new posts cannot be added, the old posts will still be available to search and view. You may have already considered this but I thought I would mention it just in case.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

I'm not sure why that would be necessary, mojo84. I maintain a board with 750,000 posts (over 1.1 million since inception but 300,000 have been pruned), and it's plenty responsive. I just rebuilt all 750,000 posts today in about an hour and a half after upgrading the server OS. Proper coding and database design will make a database of 1,000,000 posts quite responsive. You'd have to get into the tens of millions before responsiveness would become an issue. It just depends on the software.

Maxwell
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Maxwell »

Hi Charles,

One minor complaint with the new board software. I liked to browse the "active topics" list in the previous version and now it is much more cumbersome.

Like I said, minor, but still an inconvenience.

Max
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

ShootDontTalk

Post by ShootDontTalk »

Just so you know...I use an IPad Air most of the time and run the Mercury browser. The board constantly asks you to log in. To enter a post, log in, type the post, it asks you to log in again, before it returns to the thread it asks you to log in again. Almost every function requires log in before and after.

Obviously this is probably something to do with Mercury because Safari, so far, seems to work okay. I am running the latest OS and Mercury is up to date. No biggie though.
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!
Eli Wallach on concealed carry while taking a bubble bath

Return to “Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions”