"Recent Topics" Feature: Stay or go?

To keep abreast of site changes, or to post a question, idea or suggestion for the website.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

How do you feel about the new "Recent Topics" feature added to the top of the Forum?

Poll ended at Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:41 am

Keep it;
43%
Delete it;
26%
I don't care either way.
31%

Total votes: 54

PBratton
Posts in topic: 1

Re: "Recent Topics" Feature: Stay or go?

Post by PBratton »

I'd like to see a New Posts button on the main page.
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

PBratton wrote:I'd like to see a New Posts button on the main page.
I would too, but that's not an option.

Chas.

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

brhalltx wrote:I use the "New posts" feature, so it doesn't make much difference to me, but I did notice a thread in "Recent Topics" that I made sure I'd look for.
+1 I use the "New Posts" feature as my landing page to get to this site. The "Recent Topics" is just an abbreviated version of the "New Posts", or so it appears.

Keep it or lose it, no matter. But if it adds value to anyone, then sure, leave it in.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

RJGold

Post by RJGold »

I use an iPad to access the site 99% of the time. Unless I'm looking for something specific in the index or responding to a notification, I use the Active Topics Quicklink and scroll through the first page of those topics.

The recent topics section doesn't bother me but I haven't used it since it was added.

I voted the "I don't care" option so please do as you suggest and follow the majority when you make your decision.

Thanks for considering the users' opinions in this matter.
Lo que no puede cambiar, tu que debe aguantar.
Take Care.
RJ

sherlock7

Post by sherlock7 »

I prefer it GO.

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

I use the "New Post" link in Quick Links drop down window so don't use it. I would like to see a New Post button that's easier for people to find.

joe817
Posts in topic: 2

Post by joe817 »

When I first used this feature, I thought it was beneficial. Now, I find it a distraction more than anything, as I scroll through and read all the sub forums anyway.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Winchster
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Winchster »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Winchster wrote:Whatever you did made the site usable to me on a mobile device. Short of enabling tapatalk this is the best thing you could do for me to continue to use the site. Thanks
Is this something that happened with the software upgrade, or only after I added the Recent Topics feature? This is the first time I've heard from anyone not being able to see the Forum on a mobile device. It works on my Android devices and I'm pretty sure others are using iPhones, iPads, etc.

Chas.
Actually Charles, I posted this in the wrong thread, as it has nothing to do with the topic of this thread. But to answer your question, it is due to the new mobile sizing. I've always been able to access the site, it was just difficult to navigate a desktop sized forum on a 5" screen.
What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?

Winchster
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Winchster »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Winchster wrote:Whatever you did made the site usable to me on a mobile device. Short of enabling tapatalk this is the best thing you could do for me to continue to use the site. Thanks
Is this something that happened with the software upgrade, or only after I added the Recent Topics feature? This is the first time I've heard from anyone not being able to see the Forum on a mobile device. It works on my Android devices and I'm pretty sure others are using iPhones, iPads, etc.

Chas.
Actually Charles, I posted this in the wrong thread, as it has nothing to do with the topic of this thread. But to answer your question, it is due to the new mobile sizing. I've always been able to access the site, it was just difficult to navigate a desktop sized forum on a 5" screen.
What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

The poll close tomorrow morning and we only have 46 votes. Apparently, the "recent topics" feature is not a big issue for many folks and that's good to know.

Chas.

LikesShinyThings

Post by LikesShinyThings »

I don't particularly care for it, but I know how to scroll my mouse and it takes a microsecond to recognize the area and decide to skip it, so I give the entire issue a rousing "meh". :-)
TSRA Life Member, NRA Benefactor Member, TX CHL

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

I also go straight to "New Posts". I didn't even see "Recent Topics" until I saw this the first time. Stay or go, Doesn't really matter to me.

psijac

Post by psijac »

I like it. Saves me two clicks wish it had the last 7 or even ten posts
07/25/09 - CHL class completed
07/31/09 - Received Pin/Packet sent.
09/23/09 - Plastic in hand!!

Return to “Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions”