Abbreviated profanity

To keep abreast of site changes, or to post a question, idea or suggestion for the website.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 4

Abbreviated profanity

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I've had to edit a number of posts recently that contained abbreviated profanity. STOP NOW! I'm not going to waste time editing them again, I'll just delete the post in total and Moderators are instructed to do the same.

Chas.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Abbreviated profanity

Post by puma guy »

Thanks! Can we assume that includes using alpha+asterisk substitutes?
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

PBratton
Posts in topic: 1

Post by PBratton »

Charles, I agree with your stance. There should be a setting inside of phpBB that allows you to intercept defined words and substitute another word for it.
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

LabRat

Post by LabRat »

PBratton wrote:Charles, I agree with your stance. There should be a setting inside of phpBB that allows you to intercept defined words and substitute another word for it.
Thanks Charles.

PBratton:
I think folks should follow the rules and not use that verbiage. Why should it have to be substituted?
I personally don't want to see that either. The words may not be there, but the profane thought is.

People should be responsible for their actions.

LabRat
This is not legal advice.
People should be able to perform many functions; for others and for themselves. Specialization is for insects. — Robert Heinlein (Severe paraphrase)

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

PBratton wrote:Charles, I agree with your stance. There should be a setting inside of phpBB that allows you to intercept defined words and substitute another word for it.
There is a setting, although it is imperfect. That is why I can post that I have an M.S. degree but not a bull degree.
Last edited by WildBill on Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

puma guy wrote:Thanks! Can we assume that includes using alpha+asterisk substitutes?
Absolutely! Anything that gets the message across is prohibited.

Chas.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by puma guy »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
puma guy wrote:Thanks! Can we assume that includes using alpha+asterisk substitutes?
Absolutely! Anything that gets the message across is prohibited.

Chas.
:thumbs2: :thumbs2:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

Thank you Charles for your stance on this. This is just one small, but significant, part of why this is such a great site.

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

Nice place you have here - thanks for your good judgement.

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

Absolutely agree! I was very embarrassed recently when I referred a young friend to a web site and she was "bombarded" with really obnoxious language just reading a few posts that she thought she was interested in. I have quit that particular site.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Yes, I agree with all of this. For the record, I have occasionally let something get past my own internal censors. I recently had a post edited for using a 3-letter shorthand acronym to describe something which causes "discomfort in the posterior regions". I wasn't trying to be rude, but I typed it without thinking about it. I didn't take it personally when the post was edited. If deleting the post is what will happen going forward, I am OK with that. I am not trying to push the limits or antagonize the management, so there is no harm no foul from my POV.

I do have a question though...... what about the unintentional double-entendre?

I once was dinged for referring to a certain public figure as the latter half of the word "Jackass".....in other words, a donkey/mule-headed fool. In my understanding of the english language, my usage of that word was the same as that used in the Bible in Numbers 22:21 in the KJV - a reference to the animal, not the body part. Is there ever any leeway to account for the entirely appropriate use of language where the moderator in question doesn't use/perceive language the same way as the poster, but no violation was intended?

In other words, are there some situations where a post like I am describing could be edited instead of deleted?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

PBR

Post by PBR »

Hopefully I wasn't one of them, I try to double check my post as sometimes I sort of forget where I'm at when posting.
Houston, Tx.
DPS Received - Jan. 26th
Received Pin# - Feb. 25th
IN HAND!!!!!! June 9th

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

The Annoyed Man wrote:Yes, I agree with all of this. For the record, I have occasionally let something get past my own internal censors. I recently had a post edited for using a 3-letter shorthand acronym to describe something which causes "discomfort in the posterior regions". I wasn't trying to be rude, but I typed it without thinking about it. I didn't take it personally when the post was edited. If deleting the post is what will happen going forward, I am OK with that. I am not trying to push the limits or antagonize the management, so there is no harm no foul from my POV.

I do have a question though...... what about the unintentional double-entendre?

I once was dinged for referring to a certain public figure as the latter half of the word "Jackass".....in other words, a donkey/mule-headed fool. In my understanding of the english language, my usage of that word was the same as that used in the Bible in Numbers 22:21 in the KJV - a reference to the animal, not the body part. Is there ever any leeway to account for the entirely appropriate use of language where the moderator in question doesn't use/perceive language the same way as the poster, but no violation was intended?

In other words, are there some situations where a post like I am describing could be edited instead of deleted?
I agree with you about "jackass" because it is an animal and that's okay. I also agree with "ass" being a shorthand version of "jackass," but it could be short for something else too. That's the problem.

Chas.

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

I guess this is coincidental to one of my negative learning experiences. I used the term jackass in a conversation once and the conversation partner stopped talking, walked of and complained about my verbiage.
According to Meriam Webster and other dictionaries the term "jackass" is classified as vulgar and not profane.
I do not, or at least try to not use that term anymore.
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

RJGold

Post by RJGold »

Good...

I think this is a good stance. This is one of the few places on the internet that I don't hesitate to refer folks to.

I think of it as a work conversation with mixed company. There may be things I'd say a certain way if I was on the deer lease but if I'm having the same conversation prior to a meeting at work and there are males and females present, I have to exercise my brain and find other ways to get my point accross.

Good work Charles!!!
Lo que no puede cambiar, tu que debe aguantar.
Take Care.
RJ

Return to “Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions”