Weak Search Engine

To keep abreast of site changes, or to post a question, idea or suggestion for the website.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
TEX
Posts in topic: 1

Weak Search Engine

Post by TEX »

How do I search for Glock 41 with bring up 3,000 entries with the work Glock in them. "Glock 41" does not seem to work, as it does with most other search engines
There will be no peace until they love their children more than they hate us - Golda Meir

rtschl

Re: Weak Search Engine

Post by rtschl »

On Google you can search a specific site. So for searching here:

"Glock 41" site:http://www.texaschlforum.com
Ron
NRA Member

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

rtschl wrote:On Google you can search a specific site. So for searching here:

I had no idea Google could be used like this. Thanks!

Chas.

bmwrdr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bmwrdr »

That and any topic related Google search without the explicit link will return results pointing to the TX CHL forum. Mosst of the content is cached in the search engine database which is updated periodically via robots at the Google sites.
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

bmwrdr wrote:That and any topic related Google search without the explicit link will return results pointing to the TX CHL forum. Mosst of the content is cached in the search engine database which is updated periodically via robots at the Google sites.
You want to clarify that mess of a post?
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

bmwrdr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bmwrdr »

Skiprr wrote:
bmwrdr wrote:That and any topic related Google search without the explicit link will return results pointing to the TX CHL forum. Mosst of the content is cached in the search engine database which is updated periodically via robots at the Google sites.
Just like I said, in addition to an earlier statement about a Google search pointing to the TX CHL forum.
You can use all or any major search engines, enter a search term and add a link to the TX CHL forum.
For example, start a google Search and enter "skippr texaschlforum.com", it will return most or maybe all of your own posts.
My comment relates to the fact you can perform a search without adding a URL, for instance you enter just "bmwrdr" and it will return many more results related to that particular abbreviation which happens to be my username on the TX CHL forum.
That said, any search performed manually will be cached in a search engine. In addition the search engine providers are periodically updating and optimizing their search engines. Those updates are done with automated tools aka robots or crawlers to name just the commonly known tools. This means a search query related to a TX CHL Forumk topic may not query the actual URL because the information may (most likely is) already cached in the search engines database.
I hope this larifies what my 1st coment meant.
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
rtschl wrote:On Google you can search a specific site. So for searching here:

I had no idea Google could be used like this. Thanks!

Chas.
For brevity, you can also use the following syntax...

site:texaschlforum.com Glock 41

if you really want to get fancy.... Putting a "-" (dash or minus sign) in front of the word excludes search results with that term, and using the search term AROUND(x) where x is a number related to the proximity of the two words you are searching..

site:texaschlforum.com Glock AROUND(2) 41

More stuff here: http://lifehacker.com/5739284/the-best- ... t-you-want
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

lildave40

Post by lildave40 »

bmwrdr wrote:
Skiprr wrote:
Just like I said, in addition to an earlier statement about a Google search pointing to the TX CHL forum.
You can use all or any major search engines, enter a search term and add a link to the TX CHL forum.
For example, start a google Search and enter "skippr texaschlforum.com", it will return most or maybe all of your own posts.
My comment relates to the fact you can perform a search without adding a URL, for instance you enter just "bmwrdr" and it will return many more results related to that particular abbreviation which happens to be my username on the TX CHL forum.
That said, any search performed manually will be cached in a search engine. In addition the search engine providers are periodically updating and optimizing their search engines. Those updates are done with automated tools aka robots or crawlers to name just the commonly known tools. This means a search query related to a TX CHL Forumk topic may not query the actual URL because the information may (most likely is) already cached in the search engines database.
I hope this larifies what my 1st coment meant.
I think you went a little more technical then people know. You might want to add you can also # it if anyone #texaschl and dont forget to command prompt netstat netstat-n :lol::

Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

If you want a specific result use quotations ""
If you want to exclude a result use a minus -
If want to add more specificity use a comma ,
If not sure of a name, phrase or word use a wild card *

Example: Actress Jane Seymour but exclude results for Jane Seymour wife of Henry VIII

"Jane Seymour", "actress", -Henry VIII, -King Edward
Example, searching for "an * a day" will bring up results that include "an hour a day," "an apple a day," and "an aspirin a day."
And if you didnt want results to include aspirin "an * a day", -aspirin

http://www.gizmag.com/google-search-functions/34382/
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

92f-fan

Post by 92f-fan »

Charles
You can also add a custom Google search to your forum that leverages Googles engine to only return results from here
optionally you could customize it further to include any of your associated sites in the results.
This helps solve the common 3 o4 4 character SQL search limitations ..
https://support.google.com/customsearch ... 0969?hl=en

;-)

Return to “Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions”