Banned IP Addresses While Traveling in EU

To keep abreast of site changes, or to post a question, idea or suggestion for the website.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Glockster
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Banned IP Addresses While Traveling in EU

Post by Glockster »

Goldspurs wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Dad24GreatKids wrote:I was in Europe for a couple of weeks. While there I tried to access the forum but couldn't. I kept getting a message that my IP address was banned. I was not using any VPN or IP spoofing. Can someone explain this?

Thanks.
Were you able to read the Forum but not log in? If so, then it you may have been in an area where the entire IP block is locked out. That only prevents spammers from logging on; it doesn't stop them from reading the Forum. To my knowledge, the only countries we've blocked are China, India, Vietnam and possibly Russia. If you couldn't even read the Forum, then you were being blocked from their side.

Chas.

That's interesting. I couldn't even read the forums when I started getting blocked. I wonder why they would block this forum from a military post. Granted the internet service we have is civilian, it still doesn't make sense.
You're at the mercy of two specific DoD activities who control that. They do from time to time just go ahead and add a block of IPs, based on whatever risk information bubbles to the top that week. I have had to deal with the same things as one of my forums is heavily utilized by DoD folks. It can drive you nuts some days, but it could be as simple as someone on a server that is under the same bigger block of IPs as this site does something and instead of pushing restrictions to the lowest grouping netblock, they just cut out big numbers. I still go through this even though my site is actually on a whitelist within DoD.
NRA Life Member
My State Rep Hubert won't tell me his position on HB560. How about yours?

Glockster

Post by Glockster »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Goldspurs wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Dad24GreatKids wrote:I was in Europe for a couple of weeks. While there I tried to access the forum but couldn't. I kept getting a message that my IP address was banned. I was not using any VPN or IP spoofing. Can someone explain this?

Thanks.
Were you able to read the Forum but not log in? If so, then it you may have been in an area where the entire IP block is locked out. That only prevents spammers from logging on; it doesn't stop them from reading the Forum. To my knowledge, the only countries we've blocked are China, India, Vietnam and possibly Russia. If you couldn't even read the Forum, then you were being blocked from their side.

Chas.

That's interesting. I couldn't even read the forums when I started getting blocked. I wonder why they would block this forum from a military post. Granted the internet service we have is civilian, it still doesn't make sense.
This is the first time I've read that the Forum is blocked on a military base. That's a bit hypocritical. :lol:

Chas.
I'd wager money that it has nothing to do with this site at all. All it takes is for one hacker anywhere to take control of one IP address that just happens to be inside of your same IP block, and they go to shutout mode for bigger blocks of IPs. If any military user wants, they can ask their local authority (the names vary based on service, and where they are located). But they can also contact DISA and ask for them to determine why the IP is blocked, and then you as the site owner can ask for that block to be removed. I go through this a dozen times a year.
NRA Life Member

Glockster

Post by Glockster »

Glockster wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Goldspurs wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Thanks.

Chas.

This is the first time I've read that the Forum is blocked on a military base. That's a bit hypocritical. :lol:

Chas.
I'd wager money that it has nothing to do with this site at all. All it takes is for one hacker anywhere to take control of one IP address that just happens to be inside of your same IP block, and they go to shutout mode for bigger blocks of IPs. If any military user wants, they can ask their local authority (the names vary based on service, and where they are located). But they can also contact DISA and ask for them to determine why the IP is blocked, and then you as the site owner can ask for that block to be removed. I go through this a dozen times a year.
Added: Chas., I just sent you a PM about this.
NRA Life Member

Redneck_Buddha
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

I was actually blocked from this site at the Renaissance in Mumbai. Oddly, it seemed to be from their side. Reason: Weapons and trafficking content.

Return to “Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions”