Don't use these terms!!!!

To keep abreast of site changes, or to post a question, idea or suggestion for the website.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Don't use these terms!!!!

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

As most Members know and all should know, we do not allow the use of any insulting or disparaging terms related to homosexuals and/or lesbians. This has been a Forum rule since it was launched almost eleven years ago. I'm happy to say that I cannot recall a single violation of this rule.

Unfortunately, some Members think it is acceptable to use "homophobia," "homophobe," or "homophibic." It most certainly is NOT acceptable. A "phobia" is an unreasonable fear of something and in this case, a fear of homosexuals and/or lesbians. When the above-listed terms are used, they are always intended to be insulting and derogatory toward people who for religious or other reasons, do not support a political agenda. Fear has nothing to do with the opposing views. It is amazing to me that people who would rightfully be livid if we allowed the use of pejorative terms against homosexuals or lesbians have no qualms about doing precisely that to people who disagree with their position on this issue.

In recent weeks, a number of posts have been edited or deleted because of the use of one of the above-listed terms. I'm tired of it and people who use these terms are going to be banned just as would anyone using pejorative terms against homosexuals or lesbians. Using these terms is not only insulting, it invites an argument that is quite likely to escalate. No one is going to use the Forum to promote or oppose a homosexual or lesbian political agenda or lifestyle. Most people have strong opinions one way or the other --- voice them elsewhere.

Chas.

Vol Texan

Re: Don't use these terms!!!!

Post by Vol Texan »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:As most Members know and all should know, we do not allow the use of any insulting or disparaging terms related to homosexuals and/or lesbians. This has been a Forum rule since it was launched almost eleven years ago. I'm happy to say that I cannot recall a single violation of this rule.

Unfortunately, some Members think it is acceptable to use "homophobia," "homophobe," or "homophibic." It most certainly is NOT acceptable. A "phobia" is an unreasonable fear of something and in this case, a fear of homosexuals and/or lesbians. When the above-listed terms are used, they are always intended to be insulting and derogatory toward people who for religious or other reasons, do not support a political agenda. Fear has nothing to do with the opposing views. It is amazing to me that people who would rightfully be livid if we allowed the use of pejorative terms against homosexuals or lesbians have no qualms about doing precisely that to people who disagree with their position on this issue.

In recent weeks, a number of posts have been edited or deleted because of the use of one of the above-listed terms. I'm tired of it and people who use these terms are going to be banned just as would anyone using pejorative terms against homosexuals or lesbians. Using these terms is not only insulting, it invites an argument that is quite likely to escalate. No one is going to use the Forum to promote or oppose a homosexual or lesbian political agenda or lifestyle. Most people have strong opinions one way or the other --- voice them elsewhere.

Chas.
Thank you!

You're right - those are perjorative terms, and nothing less, and they stifle a good conversation. They have no place in civilized debate.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Javier730

Post by Javier730 »

:tiphat:
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

rtschl

Post by rtschl »

Thank you Charles.