Recent Scam Attempt via PMs to Members

To keep abreast of site changes, or to post a question, idea or suggestion for the website.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Recent Scam Attempt via PMs to Members

Post by chasfm11 »

Skiprr wrote:
jrs_diesel wrote:As a moderator on a diesel truck website, well done!
Thanks.

We rely on our 17,000+ valued members to alert us to nefarious activity on the board.

I sent Keith a PM as soon as I received the spam PM sent to me. I guess that I never expected them to try a PM route either.

And now I'm out a million bucks. Shucks. I could have used to to pay the bill for the US Treasury scam that hit our home phone answering machine again today. :biggrinjester:
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

I don't know if the board has the capability, but I set up the Stovebolt site so that members are moderated until they've had four posts approved. While under moderation they cannot PM and cannot use a signature. This goes a long way toward cutting down on spammers and scammers. We also approve all applications, so we catch a lot of scammers at that point, but that might be more than you want to take on.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

jrs_diesel
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jrs_diesel »

We manually approve all new members as well. That alone significantly cut down on the amount of spammers. It takes more time, and is not as automated as just validating an email and using CAPTCHA. We also lookup IP addresses, catch more spammers too. A majority of them are in other countries, and that helps us weed them out. Especially with our forums subject matter, Dodge Rams with Cummins diesel engines, not a lot of them were sold overseas. :coolgleamA:
J.R.

Topic author
Skiprr
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Skiprr »

baldeagle wrote:I don't know if the board has the capability, but I set up the Stovebolt site so that members are moderated until they've had four posts approved. While under moderation they cannot PM and cannot use a signature. This goes a long way toward cutting down on spammers and scammers. We also approve all applications, so we catch a lot of scammers at that point, but that might be more than you want to take on.
That capability does exist, but our problem with the option is shear numbers. In the first eight days of this year alone, we've had 135 new members register. The resources required to monitor and approve all initial posts would mean, essentially, a full-time paid position. To get an idea of the scope of this Forum (that Charles thought, when he originally created it on December 22, 2004, might, might garner 200 members ;-) ) just scroll to the bottom of the main page. Over 17,000 members and counting, and over one million posts.

Your few, friendly, neighborhood moderators are ducks. We try to look serene on the surface, but underneath we're paddling as fast as we can. :mrgreen:

We can't read all 76,500 Topics every day. That's why we rely on the best, most law-abiding members in the world to alert us when they see something that shouldn't be here.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

I have said this several times in the past but I think we have some of the best and most diligent Moderators around and I thank you for watching our 6
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Return to “Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions”