Posts disappearing

To keep abreast of site changes, or to post a question, idea or suggestion for the website.

Moderators: Keith B, Charles L. Cotton, carlson1


Topic author
Rvrrat14
Member
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:05 am
Location: Central Texas Area

Posts disappearing

Postby Rvrrat14 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:43 am

Over the past week I"ve replied/posted more than 3 times, only to discover it does not post to the forum. I see it on my end when I hit submit, but when I return later the the thread, it's not there.

I use an IPad device.

Is there a glitch or are my posts being deleted? Please help/advise.

Thanks!

User avatar

Skiprr
Moderator
Posts: 6458
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:50 pm
Location: Outskirts of Houston

Re: Posts disappearing

Postby Skiprr » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:52 am

Rvrrat14 wrote:Over the past week I"ve replied/posted more than 3 times, only to discover it does not post to the forum. I see it on my end when I hit submit, but when I return later the the thread, it's not there.

I use an IPad device.

Is there a glitch or are my posts being deleted? Please help/advise.

Thanks!

None of your posts have been deleted by the server or by moderators. Will investigate, but we're limited to what we can see on the webserver. If the issue is with the originating device or service, we won't be able to help.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member


Richbirdhunter
Senior Member
Posts: 980
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 7:45 pm
Location: DFW Denton County

Re: Posts disappearing

Postby Richbirdhunter » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:56 am

Skiprr wrote:
Rvrrat14 wrote:Over the past week I"ve replied/posted more than 3 times, only to discover it does not post to the forum. I see it on my end when I hit submit, but when I return later the the thread, it's not there.

I use an IPad device.

Is there a glitch or are my posts being deleted? Please help/advise.

Thanks!

None of your posts have been deleted by the server or by moderators. Will investigate, but we're limited to what we can see on the webserver. If the issue is with the originating device or service, we won't be able to help.


This has happened to me too, I think it may have something to with more then one person posting on the same thread at the same time.
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

User avatar

JALLEN
Senior Member
Posts: 3081
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 4:11 pm
Location: Comal County

Re: Posts disappearing

Postby JALLEN » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:00 am

I've noticed that as well. I guess I should take back the bad things I was thinking about the unnamed, unknown, faceless moderators!
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

User avatar

RPBrown
Senior Member
Posts: 4067
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:56 am
Location: Irving, Texas

Re: Posts disappearing

Postby RPBrown » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:00 am

I have noticed from time to time I will hit submit, then get another screen in which I have to hit submit again (not sure why). If I am in a hurry, I don't catch the second one before I move ahead and it will delete my post,
NRA-Life member
TSRA-Life member
Image

User avatar

RPBrown
Senior Member
Posts: 4067
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:56 am
Location: Irving, Texas

Re: Posts disappearing

Postby RPBrown » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:01 am

I fact, had to 2nd post the one above and almost didnt catch it
NRA-Life member
TSRA-Life member
Image


Topic author
Rvrrat14
Member
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:05 am
Location: Central Texas Area

Re: Posts disappearing

Postby Rvrrat14 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:02 pm

Well, glad to know I'm not the only one being moderated! LOL!

Thanks MODS for checking into this...


Ruark
Senior Member
Posts: 996
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:11 pm

Re: Posts disappearing

Postby Ruark » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:05 pm

Same here; it's happened several times. I've seen some sites that send a PM or email when a post is moderated, something like "your post was deleted because...." I don't know if that can be implemented here, but it would be helpful. Some forum owners don't like to do it because the person replies back with all these "what I meant was....." and drags the moderator into a back-and-forth.
-Ruark

User avatar

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts: 16689
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:31 pm
Location: Friendswood, TX
Contact:

Re: Posts disappearing

Postby Charles L. Cotton » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:05 pm

Ruark wrote:Same here; it's happened several times. I've seen some sites that send a PM or email when a post is moderated, something like "your post was deleted because...." I don't know if that can be implemented here, but it would be helpful. Some forum owners don't like to do it because the person replies back with all these "what I meant was....." and drags the moderator into a back-and-forth.


As others have noted, including Skiprr a Moderator, it does seem to happen from time to time. I've had my posts disappear for no apparent reason.

As for PM's to people who violate Forum Rules, we do send PM's to new Members, but not to people who have been here long enough to know how we operate. We also don't send PM's to repeat offenders. I have little sympathy for people who either don't read the Rules or who think they are above the Rules and I'm not going to increase Moderator workload to explain what a problem Member knows or should know. We delete posts only if they violate Forum Rules, not because we don't like what was posted or for some obscure reason.

Chas.
Image


Abraham
Senior Member
Posts: 7206
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:43 am

Re: Posts disappearing

Postby Abraham » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:09 pm

I've noticed a big up tick in abbreviated profanity and then some...


Right2Carry
Banned
Posts: 1447
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:29 pm
Location: Dallas/Fort Worth Area

Re: Posts disappearing

Postby Right2Carry » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:20 pm

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Ruark wrote:Same here; it's happened several times. I've seen some sites that send a PM or email when a post is moderated, something like "your post was deleted because...." I don't know if that can be implemented here, but it would be helpful. Some forum owners don't like to do it because the person replies back with all these "what I meant was....." and drags the moderator into a back-and-forth.


As others have noted, including Skiprr a Moderator, it does seem to happen from time to time. I've had my posts disappear for no apparent reason.

As for PM's to people who violate Forum Rules, we do send PM's to new Members, but not to people who have been here long enough to know how we operate. We also don't send PM's to repeat offenders. I have little sympathy for people who either don't read the Rules or who think they are above the Rules and I'm not going to increase Moderator workload to explain what a problem Member knows or should know. We delete posts only if they violate Forum Rules, not because we don't like what was posted or for some obscure reason.

Chas.


What I have noticed is if someone makes a post while you are responding there will be a second screen that pops up after you hit submit telling you that someone has posted in the thread and you aren't responding to the latest or some verbiage like that. If you don't see that message and hit submit again I don't think your post will be submitted.
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

User avatar

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts: 16689
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:31 pm
Location: Friendswood, TX
Contact:

Re: Posts disappearing

Postby Charles L. Cotton » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:30 pm

Right2Carry wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Ruark wrote:Same here; it's happened several times. I've seen some sites that send a PM or email when a post is moderated, something like "your post was deleted because...." I don't know if that can be implemented here, but it would be helpful. Some forum owners don't like to do it because the person replies back with all these "what I meant was....." and drags the moderator into a back-and-forth.


As others have noted, including Skiprr a Moderator, it does seem to happen from time to time. I've had my posts disappear for no apparent reason.

As for PM's to people who violate Forum Rules, we do send PM's to new Members, but not to people who have been here long enough to know how we operate. We also don't send PM's to repeat offenders. I have little sympathy for people who either don't read the Rules or who think they are above the Rules and I'm not going to increase Moderator workload to explain what a problem Member knows or should know. We delete posts only if they violate Forum Rules, not because we don't like what was posted or for some obscure reason.

Chas.


What I have noticed is if someone makes a post while you are responding there will be a second screen that pops up after you hit submit telling you that someone has posted in the thread and you aren't responding to the latest or some verbiage like that. If you don't see that message and hit submit again I don't think your post will be submitted.


I thought I noticed that too but I wasn't sure so I didn't post it.

Chas.
Image

User avatar

baldeagle
Senior Member
Posts: 5240
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 8:26 pm
Location: Richardson, TX

Re: Posts disappearing

Postby baldeagle » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:40 pm

Right2Carry wrote:What I have noticed is if someone makes a post while you are responding there will be a second screen that pops up after you hit submit telling you that someone has posted in the thread and you aren't responding to the latest or some verbiage like that. If you don't see that message and hit submit again I don't think your post will be submitted.

I have seen this often. If I'm composing something more than a couple of paragraphs long, I like to read and reread it to make sure my spelling and grammar is correct as well as reword things that are either poorly worded or I think might offend someone.

You have to click on Submit the second time, or that post goes away.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

User avatar

warnmar10
Senior Member
Posts: 389
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:57 am

Re: Posts disappearing

Postby warnmar10 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:56 pm

Is the time between clicking Reply and clicking Submit greater than 5 minutes?
If at the time of login you did not select 'keep me logged in' and you take more than 5 minutes to compose and post, you may be logged out when you click the submit button.

User avatar

oohrah
Senior Member
Posts: 904
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 5:54 pm
Location: McLennan County

Re: Posts disappearing

Postby oohrah » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:58 pm

I sometimes see this on my iPad. If you don't see your post appear in the thread after hitting submit, try the back arrow, and submit again. Usually works for me.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.


Return to “Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest