Posts disappearing

To keep abreast of site changes, or to post a question, idea or suggestion for the website.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Rvrrat14
Posts in topic: 4

Posts disappearing

Post by Rvrrat14 »

Over the past week I"ve replied/posted more than 3 times, only to discover it does not post to the forum. I see it on my end when I hit submit, but when I return later the the thread, it's not there.

I use an IPad device.

Is there a glitch or are my posts being deleted? Please help/advise.

Thanks!

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Posts disappearing

Post by Skiprr »

Rvrrat14 wrote:Over the past week I"ve replied/posted more than 3 times, only to discover it does not post to the forum. I see it on my end when I hit submit, but when I return later the the thread, it's not there.

I use an IPad device.

Thanks!
None of your posts have been deleted by the server or by moderators. Will investigate, but we're limited to what we can see on the webserver. If the issue is with the originating device or service, we won't be able to help.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

Skiprr wrote:
Rvrrat14 wrote:Over the past week I"ve replied/posted more than 3 times, only to discover it does not post to the forum. I see it on my end when I hit submit, but when I return later the the thread, it's not there.

I use an IPad device.

Thanks!
None of your posts have been deleted by the server or by moderators. Will investigate, but we're limited to what we can see on the webserver. If the issue is with the originating device or service, we won't be able to help.
This has happened to me too, I think it may have something to with more then one person posting on the same thread at the same time.
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

I've noticed that as well. I guess I should take back the bad things I was thinking about the unnamed, unknown, faceless moderators!
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RPBrown »

I have noticed from time to time I will hit submit, then get another screen in which I have to hit submit again (not sure why). If I am in a hurry, I don't catch the second one before I move ahead and it will delete my post,
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

I fact, had to 2nd post the one above and almost didnt catch it
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Topic author
Rvrrat14
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Rvrrat14 »

Well, glad to know I'm not the only one being moderated! LOL!

Thanks MODS for checking into this...

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

Same here; it's happened several times. I've seen some sites that send a PM or email when a post is moderated, something like "your post was deleted because...." I don't know if that can be implemented here, but it would be helpful. Some forum owners don't like to do it because the person replies back with all these "what I meant was....." and drags the moderator into a back-and-forth.
-Ruark

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Ruark wrote:Same here; it's happened several times. I've seen some sites that send a PM or email when a post is moderated, something like "your post was deleted because...." I don't know if that can be implemented here, but it would be helpful. Some forum owners don't like to do it because the person replies back with all these "what I meant was....." and drags the moderator into a back-and-forth.
As others have noted, including Skiprr a Moderator, it does seem to happen from time to time. I've had my posts disappear for no apparent reason.

As for PM's to people who violate Forum Rules, we do send PM's to new Members, but not to people who have been here long enough to know how we operate. We also don't send PM's to repeat offenders. I have little sympathy for people who either don't read the Rules or who think they are above the Rules and I'm not going to increase Moderator workload to explain what a problem Member knows or should know. We delete posts only if they violate Forum Rules, not because we don't like what was posted or for some obscure reason.

Chas.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

I've noticed a big up tick in abbreviated profanity and then some...

Right2Carry
Banned

Post by Right2Carry »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Ruark wrote:Same here; it's happened several times. I've seen some sites that send a PM or email when a post is moderated, something like "your post was deleted because...." I don't know if that can be implemented here, but it would be helpful. Some forum owners don't like to do it because the person replies back with all these "what I meant was....." and drags the moderator into a back-and-forth.
As others have noted, including Skiprr a Moderator, it does seem to happen from time to time. I've had my posts disappear for no apparent reason.

As for PM's to people who violate Forum Rules, we do send PM's to new Members, but not to people who have been here long enough to know how we operate. We also don't send PM's to repeat offenders. I have little sympathy for people who either don't read the Rules or who think they are above the Rules and I'm not going to increase Moderator workload to explain what a problem Member knows or should know. We delete posts only if they violate Forum Rules, not because we don't like what was posted or for some obscure reason.

Chas.
What I have noticed is if someone makes a post while you are responding there will be a second screen that pops up after you hit submit telling you that someone has posted in the thread and you aren't responding to the latest or some verbiage like that. If you don't see that message and hit submit again I don't think your post will be submitted.
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Right2Carry wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Chas.
What I have noticed is if someone makes a post while you are responding there will be a second screen that pops up after you hit submit telling you that someone has posted in the thread and you aren't responding to the latest or some verbiage like that. If you don't see that message and hit submit again I don't think your post will be submitted.
I thought I noticed that too but I wasn't sure so I didn't post it.

Chas.

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

Right2Carry wrote:What I have noticed is if someone makes a post while you are responding there will be a second screen that pops up after you hit submit telling you that someone has posted in the thread and you aren't responding to the latest or some verbiage like that. If you don't see that message and hit submit again I don't think your post will be submitted.
I have seen this often. If I'm composing something more than a couple of paragraphs long, I like to read and reread it to make sure my spelling and grammar is correct as well as reword things that are either poorly worded or I think might offend someone.

You have to click on Submit the second time, or that post goes away.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

Is the time between clicking Reply and clicking Submit greater than 5 minutes?
If at the time of login you did not select 'keep me logged in' and you take more than 5 minutes to compose and post, you may be logged out when you click the submit button.

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

I sometimes see this on my iPad. If you don't see your post appear in the thread after hitting submit, try the back arrow, and submit again. Usually works for me.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Return to “Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions”