Ham Call Signs In Profile

To keep abreast of site changes, or to post a question, idea or suggestion for the website.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Liberty
Posts in topic: 4

Ham Call Signs In Profile

Post by Liberty »

I know a few Ham radio Operators that are active in this forum, guns, CHL and the 2nd amendment are popular discussions on 2 Meter and 70 CM networks . It would be useful to have a field in our profiles to input our Callsigns. There are probably a lot more ham operators than active ICQ or Yahoo messenger folks on our forum.

Thanks,

Ray .. KF5IZN
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

AJSully421
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Ham Call Signs In Profile

Post by AJSully421 »

FCC license data is public information. If I know your call sign, I know your name and home address.

No thanks.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Topic author
Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I give out my call sign every time I get on my my radio. Having a Ham license and using it puts all that info out to any one who chooses to listen.

Having it available here would be a choice. Several people here are pretty public on who they are .. There are members who use their call sign as their membership name here.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RoyGBiv »

AJSully421 wrote:FCC license data is public information. If I know your call sign, I know your name and home address.

No thanks.
Exactly how I feel about it. Same reason I don't have a free Amateur Radio Operator license plate.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Liberty wrote:I give out my call sign every time I get on my my radio. Having a Ham license and using it puts all that info out to any one who chooses to listen.

Having it available here would be a choice. Several people here are pretty public on who they are .. There are members who use their call sign as their membership name here.
I suspect that those not familiar with HAM don't know (unless they read this thread :mrgreen: ) that this link exists in the public domain.

Talking to friends or on a RACES net is quite different from posting on a gun forum. With Anti's getting bolder, more manipulative of the law and more confrontational generally, I'm not going to make it any easier for folks who disagree with my views on guns to harass me in meatspace.

It's not even a remotely difficult decision. YMMV, of course.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Liberty wrote:I know a few Ham radio Operators that are active in this forum, guns, CHL and the 2nd amendment are popular discussions on 2 Meter and 70 CM networks . It would be useful to have a field in our profiles to input our Callsigns. There are probably a lot more ham operators than active ICQ or Yahoo messenger folks on our forum.

Thanks,

Ray .. KF5IZN
I'm not sure if I can add fields to the profile in phpBB or not. I can in Joomla, but I'll check. I know some are concerned about security, but since I use my real name, people can find me easily.

Chas.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

FWIW, I'm studying for my Technician license right now.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

AJSully421
Posts in topic: 5

Post by AJSully421 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:FWIW, I'm studying for my Technician license right now.
The only way that I have passed my Tech and General are by using the practice tests on QRZ.com. Keep taking the test over and over until you can consistently get a 80%, and you should do fine on the test. It won't teach you what you need to know, but it will help you pass the test.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Excellent! I have a meeting Monday with an entity I can't name about installing an antenna, repeater and other equipment in their building. I'm then going to push forward with setting up AllStar links and having the weekly gun nets I've wanted for a couple of years now.

Chas.

The Annoyed Man

AJSully421 wrote:
The only way that I have passed my Tech and General are by using the practice tests on QRZ.com. Keep taking the test over and over until you can consistently get a 80%, and you should do fine on the test. It won't teach you what you need to know, but it will help you pass the test.
Good info, thanks. I've been studying the questions on https://hamstudy.org/.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

oohrah
Posts in topic: 1

Post by oohrah »

I'm not concerned about someone looking me up. MY life is an open book with the Feds. I'll be happy to discuss the rights of honest citizens with anyone.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

SawdustBytes
Posts in topic: 1

Post by SawdustBytes »

TAM,

When I upgraded to extra a few years ago, I used http://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com. The interactive Q&A allowed me to ace the exam in just two or three weeks. You can try it for free.

Good luck with your studies.

Randy KB5AI

Topic author
Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Tidelands Amateure Radio Society will be having their annual hamfest on SATURDAY, JULY 16, 2016, 8a.m. to 2 p.m. At the Doyle Convention Center, located at 2010 5th Ave. N. in Texas City, They will be doing testing there its $15.00 bucks.
Liberty''s Blog

The Annoyed Man

SawdustBytes wrote:TAM,

When I upgraded to extra a few years ago, I used http://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com. The interactive Q&A allowed me to ace the exam in just two or three weeks. You can try it for free.

Good luck with your studies.

Randy KB5AI
Thanks for the resource.

#TINVOWOOT

joe817

Post by joe817 »

TAM, good luck on the No Code Tech exam. It's a breeze. I went from Novice to Extra in 11 months, and that was when code was required on all exams(except Advanced IIRC...it's been a while) Breezed through Novice, Tech, and General with no problems. Learning the General 13 wpm was a bit of a challenge, but listening to the Gordon West tapes made it a breeze(no, I don't work for Gordon, but I knew him & knew him well). Advanced gave me fits. Had to take the exam 2 times before I passed. Very complicated for me. Rote memorization got me through. I was fortunate enough for THE W5YI VEC to give me a part time job grading papers at his house here. It turned into a full time job, and it was so much fun while it lasted. Gordon & Fred collaborated on many training manuals & tapes, & I was privileged enough to debut them at the Dayton Ham Convention. I'm not in the business anymore, nor am I active, but I miss it. Many, many stories to tell....for another time.

Joe AA5LD
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Return to “Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions”