A Ham Radio Sub-Forum?

To keep abreast of site changes, or to post a question, idea or suggestion for the website.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
joe817
Posts in topic: 2

A Ham Radio Sub-Forum?

Post by joe817 »

How about it? A sub-forum to discuss ham radio related topics? We have a LOT of hams that are members and I think it would be fun to discuss state wide ham topics.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

FL450

Re: A Ham Radio Sub-Forum?

Post by FL450 »

Have not pushed a xmit button in years.
One day I will get back into it
I love the sound smell of jet fuel in the morning.
Fat thumbs + IPhone = errors, please forgive.

mojohn
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mojohn »

I'll subscribe.

John
KF5ZMD

FL450

Post by FL450 »

FL450 wrote:Have not pushed a xmit button in years.
One day I will get back into it
btw- N5KAC. General
I love the sound smell of jet fuel in the morning.
Fat thumbs + IPhone = errors, please forgive.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 4

Post by carlson1 »

I just bought a hand held HAM radio to put in my travel/get home bag in case of emergencys. I know I can talk on it (unless there is an emergency), but I can listen to it and so now I am intrigued and would like to learn more about this. I understand to get a license there is a test involved? How much money (not counting equipment) does it take to get started and can someone give me a few of the benefits for having a license?

Thanks,
Carl

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

carlson1 wrote:I just bought a hand held HAM radio to put in my travel/get home bag in case of emergencys. I know I can talk on it (unless there is an emergency), but I can listen to it and so now I am intrigued and would like to learn more about this. I understand to get a license there is a test involved? How much money (not counting equipment) does it take to get started and can someone give me a few of the benefits for having a license?

Thanks,
Carl
A Technician license will give you full access to the VHF/ UHF Ham bands. A good VHF / UHF Handheld radios can be bought for under $50.00. A Mobile unit will run between $200.00 $400.00 new. Texas is blessed with an intensive network of repeaters and repeater systems. Handhelds can do real well on these systems, and with an external antenna remarkably well in a car or at home. Its really not all that expernsive until you move away from the VHF/UHF bands and more exclusive licenses. These are the bands that people talk around world with. The VHF/UHF is considered local and repeater oriented.

The Technicians test is pretty easy, but it does require some studying. There are lots of practice tests. that will help with confidence before you do the real test.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

mcscanner

Post by mcscanner »

carlson1 wrote:I just bought a hand held HAM radio to put in my travel/get home bag in case of emergencys. I know I can talk on it (unless there is an emergency), but I can listen to it and so now I am intrigued and would like to learn more about this. I understand to get a license there is a test involved? How much money (not counting equipment) does it take to get started and can someone give me a few of the benefits for having a license?

Thanks,
Carl
Finding a club that does classroom work and finishing up with the test is a good start. During the classroom work just about any question you have now will be answered. Goto http://www.w5yi.org/ as they have links to classroom and testing session along with other information. Testing cost $15 and the book from w5yi if that's the one they use is $20.

W5yi book is high level information to get you to have a very basic understanding and pass the test. ARRL has instructional books that go much deeper and if you are not into the hardware and electronics can be mind numbing for some. The real learning begins when you have that license and start actively using the radio. The test is 35 questions from a pool of 462 and you can miss 9 question and still pass. It is pass/fail no grade given.

You will also have privileges (transmitting) in 3 of the HF bands using CW only and one other HF band with RTTY/DATA & phone in addition to the VHF and above mentioned in another post.

73, Mike KE5MC

P.S. What's he talking about in the last paragraph? :shock: Come join us and get your license. It's great fun. :thumbs2:
The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I am going to make this part of my "to do" list for next week. I have enjoyed just listening. I bought a BAOFENG UV-5R VHF/UHF Dual Two Way Ham Radio Transceiver Walkie Talkie New. I also bought an external antenna and it seems to work pretty well.

rp_photo

Post by rp_photo »

I'm what you would call a Ham sympathizer, meaning that I've been involved with CB radio, SWL, BCB and SW DX'ing, and scanners at various times in my life, definitely understand the appeal, and have the same type of "geeky" personality as many Hams.
CHL since 2/2011
Glock 26, S&W 442, Ruger SP101 .357 3",
S&W M&P 40, Remington 870 Express 12 ga 18"

budroux2w

Post by budroux2w »

carlson1 wrote:I am going to make this part of my "to do" list for next week. I have enjoyed just listening. I bought a BAOFENG UV-5R VHF/UHF Dual Two Way Ham Radio Transceiver Walkie Talkie New. I also bought an external antenna and it seems to work pretty well.
I got my ticket just over a year ago after a hunting buddy of mine that's big in the hobby gave me the Gordon West technician book. I read through that, started passing practice tests online so went and did the real test for $15. A week later I had my call sign and was on the air with my HT (handy talkie) and soon found out I needed more power and more radios, so now I have 3 HTs and a mobile unit in the truck.

Liberty is correct in regards to the network across TX and many of the area repeaters are either linked or have the ability to link together in the case of an emergency.

One of the benefits, I like to travel down to the Big Bend area, and anyone that's been there knows cell phone reception is spotty at best. They happen to have a very good repeater system out there so in case of an emergency I at least have some form of communication.
NRA Life Member

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

carlson1 wrote:I am going to make this part of my "to do" list for next week. I have enjoyed just listening. I bought a BAOFENG UV-5R VHF/UHF Dual Two Way Ham Radio Transceiver Walkie Talkie New. I also bought an external antenna and it seems to work pretty well.
Get with these guys and gals Carlson http://www.irvingarc.org/
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Keith B wrote:
Get with these guys and gals Carlson http://www.irvingarc.org/
Thanks Keith.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

budroux2w wrote:
I got my ticket just over a year ago after a hunting buddy of mine that's big in the hobby gave me the Gordon West technician book. I read through that, started passing practice tests online so went and did the real test for $15. A week later I had my call sign and was on the air with my HT (handy talkie) and soon found out I needed more power and more radios, so now I have 3 HTs and a mobile unit in the truck.

Liberty is correct in regards to the network across TX and many of the area repeaters are either linked or have the ability to link together in the case of an emergency.

One of the benefits, I like to travel down to the Big Bend area, and anyone that's been there knows cell phone reception is spotty at best. They happen to have a very good repeater system out there so in case of an emergency I at least have some form of communication.
I was licensed in 1976 and upgraded to Advanced in 1977. 13 WPM as all I could do with the code, so I never went for Extra. I was out of the hobby for over 20 years, and by the time I got interested again because of a post here on the Forum, the code requirement was long gone. I too used Gordon West's Extra book and computer testing program to upgrade to Extra and it was great.

Chas.

MustangGlocker

Post by MustangGlocker »

There is a great linked repeater system in DFW called NCTC North Central Texas Connection that is also sometimes linked with Freedom Link Group that provides coverage west to near Abilene through DFW and out to east and northeast Texas and into Arkansas and Louisiana. We use NCTC a lot at the weather service during severe weather due to the large coverage area. I personally haven't used Freedom Link yet but it combined with NCTC should make for a very nice link.
Patrick
NRA Life Member
Blue Lives Matter

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

http://www.Hamstudy.org has some excellent electronic flashcards that help you study. I started messing with them a couple days ago. They are intuitive as they repeat the questions you missed more often and then repeat the ones you answered correctly less often.

If you are of an auditory learner, this video may be beneficial.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Return to “Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions”