New Forum Features

To keep abreast of site changes, or to post a question, idea or suggestion for the website.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 11

New Forum Features

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

You have probably seen some of the new features on the Forum, but others are easy to miss. Some of the new features are:

1. Active topics section. This may or may not stay.
2. Each post in a thread is numbered.
3. Red thread titles when new posts are present (since your last visit).
4. Jump-to-last-post arrow next to member's name.
5. Link to each Member's posts in a thread.
6. Blinking red number for PMs and Notifications.
7. Forum chat (Not yet tested and probably will be used on special occasions).
8. News scroll (used sporadically).

I hope Members find these new features useful.

Chas.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Re: New Forum Features

The red-lettered thread titles should be helpful, but unfortunately, everyone starts out with all titles being red. (You must be logged in for this feature to work.) I spent a lot of time last night opening every thread and toggling through every page in order to "turn off" the red titles. I just noticed the switch to mark all forums as being read. It's just under the date and time you last logged in (right side of page). That would have saved a lot of time!

I'm not sure, but I believe the titles will remain red for multiple visits as long as you have not visited the page(s) with new posts. If I'm correct, this is helpful since the "New Posts" filter clears every time you log out.

Chas.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 3

Post by mojo84 »

Charles,
I do not know if it is my browser on my phone or the forum aoftware but I am unable to use the quote or bold functions. I select the text and when I click on the function the highlight indicating the selected text disappears but the function is not activated.

Otherwise, the other improvements are welcomed.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

mojo84 wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 10:46 am Charles,
I do not know if it is my browser on my phone or the forum aoftware but I am unable to use the quote or bold functions. I select the text and when I click on the function the highlight indicating the selected text disappears but the function is not activated.

Otherwise, the other improvements are welcomed.
I just tested both the bold and italic functions in the Test forum and they are working. I'm using Firefox on a desk top. I almost never use my phone for the Internet, but I'll try that later.

Chas.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

I just added an optional style some folks may like. I'm not going to change the default from prosilver permanently, but I have set it to the new style for two or three days so everyone will see it. Each Member can select the style they prefer, but only after I reset the default style. For now, the new style overrides individual member settings.

To change the style:
1. Click the down arrow next to your name.
2. Select User Control Panel.
3 From the tabs across the top, select Board Preferences;
4. From the My board style, select SE Gamer: Light.

Chas.

ELB
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ELB »

I was editing a post when you turned on the optional style, and not expecting it, when I hit 'submit' I thought I blew up the internet or something.

But I think I like the new style, probably won't change it back.
USAF 1982-2005

Liberty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Liberty »

I really like the backgound,
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

stever1950

Post by stever1950 »

Liberty wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 12:29 pm I really like the backgound,
Yes, that really adds a nice look to it. The overall look is great. Adds a professional look.
Great job Charles :thumbs2:
"Resistance to sudden violence, for the preservation not only of my person, my limbs, and life, but of my property, is an indisputable right of nature which I have never surrendered to the public by the compact of society, and which perhaps, I could not surrender if I would." John Adams

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

This new format does not go full screen on my PC when the full screen button is clicked. Stays the same - reduced screen. (Firefox) Also do see any "My Board" link.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

G26ster wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 1:01 pm This new format does not go full screen on my PC when the full screen button is clicked. Stays the same - reduced screen. (Firefox) Also do see any "My Board" link.
It goes full screen on mine when I log in. Otherwise, it's about 900 pixels. (I didn't know there was a full screen button! :oops: ) It may be this style is causing the problem. I'll be changing the default back to prosilver Monday morning.

Is anyone else having the same problem?

Chas.

warnmar10
Posts in topic: 6

Post by warnmar10 »

Did you ditch bread crumbs on purpose? Is it just me? From this page I have no option to return to the home page short of typing the url again. Not even the sight logo links back home.

warnmar10
Posts in topic: 6

Post by warnmar10 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 1:29 pm
G26ster wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 1:01 pm This new format does not go full screen on my PC when the full screen button is clicked. Stays the same - reduced screen. (Firefox) Also do see any "My Board" link.
It goes full screen on mine when I log in. Otherwise, it's about 900 pixels. (I didn't know there was a full screen button! :oops: ) It may be this style is causing the problem. I'll be changing the default back to prosilver Monday morning.

Chas.
Did you ditch bread crumbs on purpose? Is it just me? From this page I have no option to return to the home page short of typing the url again. Not even the sight logo links back home.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

warnmar10 wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 1:44 pm

Chas.
The breadcrumbs extension for this version didn't work well, so I'm trying to find another. I don't like the fact the logo is not a link either. That's just on this style, so when I change the default back to prosilver, the logo will be a link. Also, the Board Index just below the logo/header is a link to the main page.

Chas.

rtschl

Post by rtschl »

Chas.
Mine did too, but you can change that in Board Preferences and then Edit Display Options. The option at the bottom will fix that: Use maximum width With "yes" the board is able to use the full browser window width.:
Ron
NRA Member

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

rtschl wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 2:35 pm

Chas.
Mine did too, but you can change that in Board Preferences and then Edit Display Options. The option at the bottom will fix that: Use maximum width With "yes" the board is able to use the full browser window width.:
When I changed to "yes" it went to almost full width, but did not help the height. Also no ability to grab the edges with the curser and do it maually.

I'm still looking for the "My Board" link. Can't find it anywhere.

Return to “Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions”