Thinking of Getting an FFL

FFL's post your location, contact information and transfer fees

Moderator: carlson1

OldCannon
Posts in topic: 10

Re: Thinking of Getting an FFL

Post by OldCannon »

loktite wrote:googlefu shows the current word is that ATF will not be issuing new FFL licenses to home based business, however will be doing renewals for the time being. RSR group is no longer shipping firearms to homebased or "kitchen FFL's" as of 6/21.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/0 ... -shipping/

In deference to the rules of this forum, I must state, unequivocally, these rumors are borne specifically from the southern end of a northbound horse.
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

I should also add: An FFL license is a "shall issue", not a "may issue." If you qualify with all state and local laws for your location, and you pass the ATF background check, you get the license.

loktite
Posts in topic: 2

Post by loktite »

Yeah, that website can equated to the National Enquirer lol. But I do believe the RSR group is no longer selling to home-based low quantity FFL's. I've edited my other post.
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
gljjt
Posts in topic: 3

Post by gljjt »

Scott B. wrote:Be wary of 'facts' posted on that particular web site...and certainly do not take their advice on NFA requirements for marking a lower.

"Not everything you read on the internet is true." ~ Abraham Lincoln, 1868.

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

loktite wrote:Yeah, that website can equated to the National Enquirer lol. But I do believe the RSR group is no longer selling to home-based low quantity FFL's. I've edited my other post.
Yes, confirmed. RSR no longer sells to home based dealers. TONS of other distributors out there. There's definitely a handful of the big distros that don't take you in unless you run a B&M store.

taylormade
Posts in topic: 1

Post by taylormade »

I dont mean to clog up the thread- I can make a new one if need be.

Can anyone make any recommendations on how to talk to your HOA? I have some pretty iron clad verbiage in mine that makes me reluctant to ask for a letter of approval.

Mine states- No trade or business may be conducted in or from any dwelling, lots or homesite except; (a) business activity does not involve visitation to the Dwelling by clients, customers, and suppliers or other business invitees. (b) business activity must be consistent with the residential character of the property and does not constitute a nuisance, a hazard or offensive use.

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

taylormade wrote:I dont mean to clog up the thread- I can make a new one if need be.

Can anyone make any recommendations on how to talk to your HOA? I have some pretty iron clad verbiage in mine that makes me reluctant to ask for a letter of approval.

Mine states- No trade or business may be conducted in or from any dwelling, lots or homesite except; (a) business activity does not involve visitation to the Dwelling by clients, customers, and suppliers or other business invitees. (b) business activity must be consistent with the residential character of the property and does not constitute a nuisance, a hazard or offensive use.
Generally speaking, that's what my HOA's rules said too.

Here's the thing: If you want to get an FFL to sell a boatload of guns, your HOA isn't going to approve. They'd likely do the same if you were selling a boatload of Yeti coolers out of your garage. My FFL is focused on gunsmithing and special services. Low traffic, specialty work. If that's your plan (scope mounting for select customers, etc.), then you can probably get approval. Otherwise, you're likely to be turned down. I got permission from my HOA, but I am strictly forbidden from selling firearms and ammo. That's fine, because I explicitly stated I won't be selling firearms and ammo. I don't run a gun store.

Bottom line: You won't know until you ask :)

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

taylormade wrote:I dont mean to clog up the thread- I can make a new one if need be.

First, do what Old Cannon stated and if they say no go to plan B. Look on Google maps to see if there are any other home based businesses in your neighborhood. I saw several in mine (pest control, IT company etc. If they will not allow you then they should not be allowing anyone else either so try to use that for leverage. Just make sure there are no "favors" being done for other people, that may end up getting your neighbors mad at you though. You can also consider renting a small office, I've seen them as cheap as $100 a month. In the long run you'll be better off not being in a house,many distributors will no longer sell to those without a store front.

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

OldCannon wrote:
loktite wrote:googlefu shows the current word is that ATF will not be issuing new FFL licenses to home based business, however will be doing renewals for the time being. RSR group is no longer shipping firearms to homebased or "kitchen FFL's" as of 6/21.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/0 ... -shipping/

In deference to the rules of this forum, I must state, unequivocally, these rumors are borne specifically from the southern end of a northbound horse.
FYI I am still home based and just got my renewal in the mail.

fasteddie
Posts in topic: 1

Post by fasteddie »

I am home based and just had my interview with the IOI this morning.

Return to “FFL Holders”