How to ship gun to an out of state gunsmith

FFL's post your location, contact information and transfer fees

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
BCGlocker
Posts in topic: 3

How to ship gun to an out of state gunsmith

Post by BCGlocker »

I want to send my Springfield XDS to an out of state gunsmith for some work. He told me he has a FFL and what is the best way to ship the gun to him?
Texas LTC Instructor
Texas SSO Instructor
USCCA Certified Instructor
Range Master Certified Instructor

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 2

Re: How to ship gun to an out of state gunsmith

Post by Jumping Frog »

You can send directly to him via UPS or FEDEX overnight airfreight. It will cost $75-$80 or so (it has been a long time since I shipped that way, so my prices may be out of date. UPS/FEDEX both require overnight airfreight; 2-day or ground is not acceptable.

Depending on your local FFL and their prices, I have found it cheaper to use a local FFL to do the shipping. An FFL can use USPS and a handgun case fits nicely in the Flat Rate box for $15 in postage. I had an FFL who charged me $25 total to ship out handguns that way. Note that a non-FFL cannot ship via USPS -- it would be illegal.

Of course, if a local FFL wants to charge $100 to ship out a handgun for you, then see option A, above. :lol:

Bud's Gunshop keeps a nice FFL list online that will tell you local FFL's and their transfer costs, if you want a place to start searching for an FFL.
Last edited by Jumping Frog on Sat May 02, 2015 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Since it's a handgun, FedEx or UPS are your options. You're shipping to a licensee so it's perfectly legal.

Note that some box & ship outlets, or even FedEx & UPS branded substations get weird about shipping firearms.

FedEx: http://www.fedex.com/us/freight/rulesta ... icles.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
See section B. ii. (you're shipping to a licensee)

UPS: https://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resou ... earms.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Topic author
BCGlocker

Post by BCGlocker »

Can I ship directly to the out of state FFL/Gunsmith if I only send hime the slide?
Texas LTC Instructor
Texas SSO Instructor

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

If he only needs the slide for the work, definitely go that route. You can ship it like any other accessory or generic widget. No declaration needed.

The frame on the XDS is the controlled part.

Edit: You can also send the entire firearm, that's up to you. But the slide only will be hassle free.

Those previous prices on shipping were probably for rifles. A handgun will be in the mid $20 range - roughly. I don't have UPS worldship on this machine to do a quote.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Scott B. wrote:Those previous prices on shipping were probably for rifles. A handgun will be in the mid $20 range - roughly. I don't have UPS worldship on this machine to do a quote.
Nope.

I just pulled a quote to ship an 11x9x6" box from Houston to Smith & Wesson's address. Those dimensions are a billable weight of 4 lbs.

UPS Next day air saver rate was $78.82.

Remember that UPS and FEDEX will not let you ship firearms via ground. They require overnight.

To the OP, if you do not need to send the entire handgun, then by all means simplify your life and ship only the slide. :thumbs2:
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Topic author
BCGlocker

Post by BCGlocker »

Wow, $78 is radiculous. Is there any option with other smaller carriers such as On Trac or DHL to ship ground?
Texas LTC Instructor
Texas SSO Instructor

Return to “FFL Holders”