Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
mental_midget
Posts in topic: 3

Carry Holsters?

Post by mental_midget »

Hey folks!

I have a couple questions, maybe some of you have answers

While waiting for my LTC, I have bought 2 new pistols. 1 FNH FNS-40 and a Canik TP9SA. The FNH seems to fit a Glock-17 holster well, and was wondering who makes a good conceal holster for a weapon line the FNS-40. The Canik TP9SA came with a paddle holster, but was again wondering who makes a good conceal holster for a TP9SA.

Any help appreciated

I am a big dude, 6'2" 320lbs, if that helps at all while choosing a decent conceal holster.

Also open to any suggestions for OC holsters.

Thank you

flechero
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Carry Holsters?

Post by flechero »

Although I can't recommend a specific holster for either pistol, I will say that a good belt is as important as a good holster.

I buy belts from A&G gunleather these days... but hear Armour belts are just as good. Beyond that, if you buy leather, ask your holster maker about a matching belt. Lots of praise for Beltman, but I have several of his and IMO they are not on par with A&G, although similarly priced.

comp73

Post by comp73 »

You should be able to find a multitude of holster makes that can accommodate your FN, but the Canik is another story. For off the shelf, Comp-tac might be your best bet. They make a kydex fitted for the FN, but they also now have "Q Line" of holsters that are built to fit multiple guns that are around the same size. If you want a custom leather holster, and have a local holster maker, they can prob use you Canik to build the holster. Be prepared to wait a while for this, normally 8-16 weeks.

And I second the need for a good gun belt. The beltman is another one that makes quality belts and can ship quick.
One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. -Thomas Jefferson

omegaman

Post by omegaman »

My personal favorite is DeSantis Mini Scabbard (OWB). I own several. Very comfortable. Don't know if it is available for the models that you have, but you can look on their website to find out.

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Welcome to the Forum.

I'll echo what flechero said about the value of a quality gunbelt. The analogy is spending $2,000 on a rifle, but then only $200 for a scope: you've crippled a high-performing tool with an inferior add-on.

That said, I'd also recommend starting your search with some very basic questions...likely won't completely save you from the "retired holster drawer" that many of us have, but may help. Some may suggest starting with your normal style of dress; that has some merit if your work circumstance requires a particular dress code (e.g., a corporate attorney who wears a suit six days a week). However, I'd tend to start with position of carry first.

Carry on the hip actually has a lot of variances. Start with where you wear your belt and shoulder flexibility. For example, if somewhat high-waisted and have shoulders that may not be as flexible as they could be, you probably won't want to consider a straight-drop holster at the four o'clock position (assuming you're right-handed). Gonna be really tough to get the gun out smoothly.

The potential for moving the holster around on hip-carry before you find your "sweet spot" is one reason to consider a holster that has an adjustable cant. Typically, hip-carry involves positioning the holster between 5:00 and 3:00, with 3:00 being directly to the side of the hip. That's where I prefer to carry; I'm relatively wide-shouldered and have the aforementioned lack of Gumby-like shoulder flexibility.

Another option for on-belt carry is in the appendix position at approximately at 1:00 with a rearward cant. It's generally thinner folks who can get away with this position; also favored by some women because it removes the flair of the hips from the concealment equation, often an issue with hip carry at 3:00 or 4:00. Appendix carry actually has some mechanical and tactical advantages. But it's eschewed by a lot of guys because of the muzzle orientation as well as that, IWB, it doesn't accommodate service-length barrels easily.

Another belt option is small-of-back carry, something I've always argued against: the exact reason appendix carry can offer mechanical and tactical advantages is the reason small-of-back carry is disadvantageous.

A shoulder holster is another option, but it sounds as if you're looking for on-belt carry.

The next determination would be Outside Waistband Carry, or Inside Waistband Carry. For comfort, OWB always rules, but it offers fewer options to dress around the gun if you plan to keep it concealed. I prefer IWB for concealability, and have come to prefer Kydex-leather hybrid holsters for the purpose. All-leather IWB holsters need to be heavily reinforced to keep them from collapsing once the gun is drawn, therefore making safe reholstering very difficult. My EDC is a Comp-Tac MTAC. The leather backing provides the next-to-body-comfort of an all-leather holster, with the rigidity and shape retention of the Kydex shell.

One other tip if you choose IWB. If you don't wear an undershirt now, you'll probably want to consider starting to do so. I've seen some strange, cloth IWB holsters that I'd never even consider, so that means the surface otherwise contacting your body will be leather or some combination of other non-cloth materials...and possibly part of the butt of the gun, depending on gun and holster configuration and where you're carrying. That skin contact is a no-go for me. Never wore undershirts when I was younger, but started doing so when I began carrying IWB; can't leave home without it.

If you have any friends who will let you try their holsters, it's not a bad idea. Doesn't have to be your exact firearm, just one that is similar in size. Especially friends who have that drawer with two dozen retired holsters in it. ;-) You may not find the exact holster you think would suit you, but a weekend visit for pizza and an hour of trying different holsters might at least help you winnow out the styles and types you know you don't want to consider. That could go a long way to preventing you growing your own drawer of retired holsters.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

karder

Post by karder »

I like both Crossbreed and Comp-Tac for off the shelf, but as comp73 noted, there are a lot fewer options for Canik. Black Hills Leather has made a couple of really nice leather holsters for me and they are not terribly expensive.
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

If you are looking for an IWB, take a look at Stealth Gear holsters. I don't own one, YET...but I haven't read a bad review on them either. They use breathable mesh material instead of leather or horse-hide.

Topic author
mental_midget

Post by mental_midget »

Thank you for the responses guys!

My dress code is very casual. Usually jeans and an untucked button down with an undershirt while not at work. While at work usually twill pants and an old T-shirt untucked with an under shirt. Open carry is fine at work, so I am not worried about that aspect of carrying. I'm worried about the concealed carry IWB holsters. I have read up on the Aliengear holsters, but havent seen many reviews.

I have been trying to get the feel for the holsters. I seem more comfortable at the 3 or 4 o'clock postitions, with a forward cant. I am ordering a new belt soon, I figured that is just about as important as the holster.

I wear my pants a little lower and found the 3 to 4 o'clock positions best to conceal.

Thank you for your input everyone.

STEELTRIP1N

Post by STEELTRIP1N »

You might want to take look at N82 TACTICAL HOLSTERS very comfortable.

GlassG19
Posts in topic: 2

Post by GlassG19 »

Ryan wrote:If you are looking for an IWB, take a look at Stealth Gear holsters. I don't own one, YET...but I haven't read a bad review on them either. They use breathable mesh material instead of leather or horse-hide.

I almost bought the Stealth Gear, (little expensive) and just little over a week ago my B-Day present came in mail,, 2 Alien Gear holsters. Both OWB & IWB for less than $75 for the 2,, compared to $100 for just 1 Stealth Gear Holsters. There's several YouTube vid's on the differences on them,,, glad my wife & kids listened to me & got A.G holsters for me. I've been mainly using the IWB hybrid, my recommendation,, BUY the (IWB,OWB) A.G. Holsters, You will Love them. The neoprene they use on the back, super comfortable.
"To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace"- George Washington

GlassG19

Post by GlassG19 »

"To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace"- George Washington

TangoX-ray

Post by TangoX-ray »

I have AlienGear IWB holsters for all of my carry guns. They are pretty comfortable and are very adjustable.
Native Texan :txflag: Philippians 2:3-4

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training." - Archiloches (650 BC)

Topic author
mental_midget

Post by mental_midget »

Thank you guys!

I have been looking at the aliengear holsters, and the fact that they are so adjustable and once the base is in hand, the kydex shells can be switched out is a huge plus for me. I will be seeing if any friends have one I can mess with for a little bit. Now, time to order the belt I suppose!

Thank you for the prompt responses.

TexasVetEOD

Post by TexasVetEOD »

I actually purchased a Stealthgear for my M&P Shield, it is extremely comfortable. I have only been able to wear it around the house, but once I found the right spot for me, I almost forget its there. I chose it over the AG based on all the comparison reviews I read and watch. It was pricey, but it is something I will be using everyday; I didn't want to skimp.

pushpullpete

Post by pushpullpete »

Big +1 on AlienGear. My son bought me the IWB Cloak Tuck 3.0 version, I love the way it fits me & my M&P 40 & will get the shells for some of my other pistols. ymmv

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”