Appendix IWB carry--or not?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

PackinPig
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Appendix IWB carry--or not?

Post by PackinPig »

As others have said, it is something you will have to try yourself. After getting my LTC I carried in the 4:00-5:00 position but found it hard to draw when seated. I bought a cheap blackhawk aiwb holster on amazon, tried it out, and Instantly fell in love. I started looking around at different holsters and found one made by a youtuber with a pretty good reputation. His channel is LastLineofDefense. I ordered the holster that he makes and now I carry my Glock 19 and a spare Glock 17 mag like the image below. Of course I also wear a Hanks Amish belt with kydex reinforcement built in.

As for "sweeping", I had concerns initially as well. However, like many of us say, guns don't just "go off". So, buy a holster with good trigger protection and practice drawing from concealment (with your handgun empty) often and you'll be fine.

Regarding people at the range, I trust myself a heck of alot more than I trust some yahoo at the range. Plus, while I am "sweeping" myself when appendix carrying, the trigger is completely covered by kydex.
:txflag:
This isn't a Glock 19 but you can see the way the holster is designed. Check out his youtube channel for more and email him if your interested.
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
"Speak softly and carry a big stick."
-Theodore Roosevelt 26th President of the United States

carlson1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by carlson1 »

EastTexasRancher wrote:Rule #2: Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.

You guys here that would write 5,000 word posts on someone at the range "sweeping" you or someone else....point your weapon at what?

To each their own I suppose.
I guess that would mean no shoulder holsters and don't draw while sitting down. :headscratch

aaangel

Post by aaangel »

when i appendix , i carry a da/sa pistol. yes ,yes i know glocks are extremely safe, but i just like that extra comfort level where i have my thumb on the hammer while reholstering. carlson is right, get a nice kydex holster and you're good to go!
'got to Texas ASAIC.

E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 4

Post by E.Marquez »

Ok ok ok ok :smilelol5:
I'll try AIWB again.
Im sitting here at the lap top with a 3.3 XDs .45 in a Crossbreed AIWB holster and I am very uncomfortable. Crossbreed is a brand I trust and carry IWB almost exclusively (when I carry IWB) so I tired the brand for AIWB carry.. when it did not work out I decided it was not for me.. but times change, holster offerings change, I guess its time to try again.

Lots of options have been offed here for makers ..I'll randomly pick two that look to be of a design and quality I might like and see how it goes. :tiphat:
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

EastTexasRancher
Posts in topic: 2

Post by EastTexasRancher »

carlson1 wrote:
EastTexasRancher wrote:Rule #2: Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.

You guys here that would write 5,000 word posts on someone at the range "sweeping" you or someone else....point your weapon at what?

To each their own I suppose.
I guess that would mean no shoulder holsters and don't draw while sitting down. :headscratch
To a point, yes. I am NO fan of horizontal shoulder holsters.

But my point was more rhetorical, half-baked in silliness. Charles pointed out much the same thing using different words, no?

MrMcCullster

Post by MrMcCullster »

I'm in the same boat.

I have a 642 S&W snubbie revolver that I got a pocket holster for, but as time went on and I saw more info about AIWB I got to thinking, could I appendix carry that thing?

I bought a StealthGear USA AIWB holster for it and need to get used to putting it on, reholstering and holstering while the gun is empty. The holster I got has got two 15% angled clips, and when you slide the clips on the belt, it's supposed to tuck in better for concealment. Most of the AIWB holsters I've seen have straight clips. This is going to need some trial and error. I need to try carrying the holster with one angled clip, two straight clips, and then one straight clip to see which one works. I have an IWB holster that I will take off the clips from that and use on the AIWB holster.

I just haven't found a good spot in my front to conceal the 642 with an untucked t-shirt. You can still see the sharp butt of the gun in my t-shirt. Thought it would sit flatter.

I also need to practice bumping my waist out each time I re-holster. This apparently helps so you don't sweep or muzzle your naughty bits. Think about putting both your hands on your hips and driving your front out and arching your back like you're going to stretch. Now instead of stretching, your reholstering and not point your gun inward. I see that a lot for even IWB on the range. They point their gun inward to find the holster in the pants, essentially flagging themselves.

I'd like to get this sorted out soon so I can start using that holster, so it's not eventually thrown in the drawer of unused holsters.

Kenk

Post by Kenk »

I have used an Alessi APX for my S&W 642 for several years. It's very comfortable and conceals well. I'm on the thin side which helps :-) It apparently is available for quite a few different handguns. Here's the URL:
http://www.alessigunholsters.com/apx-1/

I also have two other Alessi holsters and have been very satisfied with them. You may have to wait for a while, but it's worth it.

Ken

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

E.Marquez wrote:Ok ok ok ok :smilelol5:
I'll try AIWB again.
Im sitting here at the lap top with a 3.3 XDs .45 in a Crossbreed AIWB holster and I am very uncomfortable. Crossbreed is a brand I trust and carry IWB almost exclusively (when I carry IWB) so I tired the brand for AIWB carry.. when it did not work out I decided it was not for me.. but times change, holster offerings change, I guess its time to try again.

Lots of options have been offed here for makers ..I'll randomly pick two that look to be of a design and quality I might like and see how it goes. :tiphat:
I have this one for my G26, but they offer a XDS-45 3.3 model: https://www.cyasupply.com/collections/i ... wb-holster. It is reasonably comfortable as far as these things go. It is VERY well made, and you can't beat the price.

I also have one almost exactly like it made by my son to fit my G43.

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

The Annoyed Man wrote: I have this one for my G26, but they offer a XDS-45 3.3 model:
An additional issue for me is, I don't carry "little" guns
The XDs is a BUG, not a primary carry gun. Its been months since the XDs has been out of the safe.

So AIWB will be for me a 3.8, 4, 4.5" barrel .45 cal or sometimes 9mm pistol .. Im going to give it a shot (no pun intended) but Im not holding my breath it will work out.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas

The Annoyed Man

E.Marquez wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote: I have this one for my G26, but they offer a XDS-45 3.3 model:
The XDs is a BUG, not a primary carry gun. Its been months since the XDs has been out of the safe.

So AIWB will be for me a 3.8, 4, 4.5" barrel .45 cal or sometimes 9mm pistol .. Im going to give it a shot (no pun intended) but Im not holding my breath it will work out.
No problem. I misunderstood that it was for the XDS.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
E.Marquez wrote:

No you had that right, as in I have that gun and have tried AIWB and will again now.. But I also want to try with my normal carry guns

The Annoyed Man

E.Marquez wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
E.Marquez wrote:

No you had that right, as in I have that gun and have tried AIWB and will again now.. But I also want to try with my normal carry guns
I can't quite make that happen. I can carry my G26 that way, and also my G43, but I've built a substantial front porch on my toolshed....so to speak...and there's no room for anything bigger up front.

#TINVOWOOT

Nuts

Post by Nuts »

With what I do for work I can only aiwb. But, I did figure out fast that I need to limit the barrel length to under 3.5 inches. Anything longer and it gets uncomfortable.

Don't worry too much about your gun but being noticeable to you. 99% of the people are oblivious.

jkurtz

Post by jkurtz »

I carry AIWB almost exclusively. I find that it offers the best concealment, but that is also dependent on holster selection. Holsters specifically made for AIWB that incorporate claws and wedges work best. I use the Gotham made by Bawidamann (http://bawidamann.com/gotham-x300u-aiwb ... ck-s-w-v2/) with a Glock 19, which on its own isn't that big, but it is relatively bulky with a mag well, Surefire X300U, a comped barrel, and a Trijicon RMR. Despite all the added bulk, the gun disappears even when wearing a size schmedium t-shirt. I find it to be relatively comfortable, but that is pretty subjective and dependent on body type.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”