10mm pistol hunting

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

1911 10MM
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 10mm pistol hunting

Post by 1911 10MM »

WTR wrote:The point of killing a deer is to harvest meat, not to provide you a challenge. Use a rifle caliber with an expanding bullet to insure a humane and clean kill.Respect the animal.
I agree completely!

flechero
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flechero »

Shot placement, regardless of the caliber or projectile weight, is what guarantees a quick clean kill. Being an ethical and humane hunter means being a practiced marksmen, and understanding your own limits. (of both you and the gun) Just like in bowhunting, you may need to pass on a 15 yarder, if the correct shot doesn't present itself.

Lena
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Lena »

I used to hunt a lot with a handgun and took many deer with my S&W 27 and 5 screw 44 mag over the years, all a reasonable distance and excellent shot placement worked every time, dad always said never farther than you can hit an oil can 5 of 6 shots, I had markers in trees to show distances on all sides of blind, almost all the 44 shots exit the deer I bagged, not the 357, last trip was a huge hog with a Colt Officers 45 acp with ball, again shot placement was the trick, 357 Sig sure will put a coyote down for sure not like a 44 will though, for a 10 just like any other good round it is shot placement, try the oil can challenge my dad mentioned it will help, don't cheat 5 out of 6 hits is your range, I do not own a 10mm good friend loved them just not my cal.
Stay Safe

flechero
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flechero »

Lena wrote:dad always said never farther than you can hit an oil can 5 of 6 shots,
:iagree:

Sage advice, your father was a wise man! (I bet patience and discipline paid off for him in the field)

Because we all tend to stretch that distance a little bit- I might take it one step further and say that if you don't hit it on the first 6 of 6 rounds, cold, each range visit, you should limit to closer. Here is why- range conditions and no pressure of the animal or 'buck fever' or performance anxiety, etc, usually equal much more precision than when you are in the field. Not to mention awkward positions, shooting from a tree, etc.will typically reduce your accuracy further.

Take Down Sicko

Post by Take Down Sicko »

For me all this means i would have to take my shot at a distance of 3 yards or less with my 44 mag. I could shot it and skin it all with one shot at that distance. "rlol"

Lena

Post by Lena »

44s.JPG
44s.JPG
Many deer taken by my father and I with this old 44, click to enlarge, dad got it in 1956
The 2nd one is it's little brother a 5 screw 44 Spl a real dream to shoot
Attachments
5524.JPG
Last edited by Lena on Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stay Safe

Topic author
ckelly9460
Posts in topic: 5

Post by ckelly9460 »

Lena wrote:
44s.JPG
Many deer taken by my father and I with this old 44, click to enlarge, dad got it in 1956
Beautiful :thumbs2:
Brave Rifles

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

Lena wrote:
44s.JPG
44s.JPG
The 2nd one is it's little brother a 5 screw 44 Spl a real dream to shoot
My .44 Special has half that barrel or less and definitely puts a thump in your palm when fired.

Little Charter Arms 5 shot. With the Crimson Trace grips, should make a BG fill his/her drawers.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

Lena

Post by Lena »

I had a 5 screw 3" 44mag but was an idiot and sold it, it was the only one I have ever seen. I sure would like to have it back.
Stay Safe

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”