SIG P938 Review - 1st shots

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
hankintexas
Posts in topic: 2

SIG P938 Review - 1st shots

Post by hankintexas »

I had an opportunity last week to purchase a brand new Sig P938. As I own other Sigs,( P226 MK25 and, P227), I was very much looking forward to purchasing another high quality firearm in a smaller and easier to conceal size.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a total SIG guy. I own about 30 other handguns that are not SIGs. I enjoy shooting all of them to one degree or another. From the small pocket pistols, to the full scale Dirty Harry magnums, both revolvers and automatics. I own Colts, Kimbers, Smith and Wesson, Springfield Armory, Rugers, Walthers, a German Luger, Kel-Tec, and several other manufactures. This said, I left the range today shaking my head.....

The 9mm P938 would have been my last Sig if it had been my first one. I can put hundreds of rounds down range with the other Sig Pistols. I was so unimpressed, I had to come home and write this.

My first impression (the first time I picked it up in the store)is that it is a very nice firearm for one so small. It is solid, made well and probably worth the hefty price. Cause we all no that Sig would not make a gun just for the $$ right?

Well, I have been wrong before today and to some, I am probably wrong about today.

I do not think I will be carrying this one for a while.... The range time was more tinkering with the firearm and fighting the most difficult loading magazines I have ever encountered.

Here are my experiences in order.

1. Arrived at the range happy (Lunch Hour)
2. Shot the bull with some great staff at the range
3. Paid for Targets and range
4. Went to the firing line, SMILING and looking forward to loading and shooting a Brand New Sig.
5. Opened box and began loading magazines...... Smile begins to fade
6. After 3 rounds of 9mm in New mag, had to break out the Ulula Loader.... SUPER TIGHT Mag Spring
7. Loaded the 2nd mag...... Same thing needed the loader again.... Still happy though, I'm at the range right?
8. Inserted mag into the mag well, twice. First time it would not seat and lock in
9. Took aim and Squeezed the trigger for the first time..... BANG I'm happy again
10. Ran through the first mag. Released to insert 2nd mag...... (Twice) they don't seat well.....
11. Released slide....., Clunk! What the Heck? Not in Battery, dropped mag, removed round from chamber and began to look the firearm over...
12. Lubed Slide, It was kind of sticking reinserted mag and chambered round.
13. Took Aim and squeezed the trigger...., NOTHING. The trigger was jammed and could not be pulled. Dropped mag, Unloaded and began to inspect. I could not get the trigger squeezed with both hands......
14. I'm figuring this needs to go to the Sig Armorer and go to the front and see if by chance, they have one on staff. THEY DID!
15. I hand the gun to him and he is also surprised and can't get the trigger pulled. He disassembled it and found a piece of plastic had somehow been lodged into the trigger assembly. He removed it and like magic, the trigger works again.
16. Returned to the firing line, loaded the previously loaded mag (TWICE) into the mag well.......
17. Pulled trigger and BANG. The slide is now very stiff.....
18. Re-lubed slide and pulled trigger, Bang, Bang, Bang.....until empty.
19. Loaded mag (Still Super Stiff)
20. Inserted Mag and released slide....... Guess what? MY SMILE HAS COMPLETELY EVAPORATED., Failure to feed from mag
21, Swapped mags, Same thing......
22. Dropped Mag from Mag Well and put the Sig P938 into range bag......., Lunch hour is over. Super Not Happy

I am going to completely disassemble this gun and clean it tonight. I will take it to the range tomorrow and see if I can have a better day with it.

So, in conclusion, this is a lesson learned. I do not care how much you pay for a gun. Never load a brand new gun and strap it to your hip and expect it to preform when needed. Whatever you buy, make time for the range prior to risking your life and depending on a untested firearm.

Sorry for the long post, just venting....
Hank Henry
NRA Instructor / NRA LIFE MEMBER / NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

cmgee67

Re: SIG P938 Review - 1st shots

Post by cmgee67 »

Sorry to hear. I’ve always been intrigued by those little sigs. I hope it works out for you. May send it to Sig and see what they can do?

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Flightmare »

I have a P938 and I have made 2 warranty calls on it.

The first was the magazine catch was causing the mag to occasionally release when shooting. I sent it in for that and had them fix it. I have not seen the issue since.

The second issue was the guide rod snapped. Sig mailed me a replacement that was at my house 2 days after I called it in.

Give them a chance to fix it. I was surprised by how good their customer service was.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

I agree with you about the stiff mag springs, but they will get better (but still pretty stiff) with time. I'm surprised by the rest. Mine is in my pocket right now.

I did have to send mine back to Sig once but I bought it used, so I had to pay. On the up side, for the $150 I paid them, they replaced the sear pin, replaced the barrel, adjusted the sights and shot it for function and accuracy. That price also included shipping both ways.

I'll not be complaining.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

rotor

Post by rotor »

My wife loves her Sig p320 romeo just back from Sig after the trigger recall. Their service was excellent with an 8 day turnaround. I don't know if you ever read GunTests but they are like the Consumer Reports of guns. They give the P938 a D rating.
If you want to find magazines that normal humans can't load look no further than Taurus. Bless Magulu loaders.

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

My wife picked up a P938 BRG. Out of the box it ran flawlessly. The thumb safety was a little stiff but it has loosened up now after I sat one evening and flicked it on and off while watching TV. The mags are a little stiff but since she will not be reloading them during an encounter I see it as a minor inconvenience. We haven't had any problems with the mags seating.

She really shoots it well and it is a great little gun. Sorry you had issues. I bet they will work out and you'll have a great shooter.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

I have a P938 that was bought for my wife. The safety kept hitting her knuckle and cutting it. I tried to change her grip position but she wasn't comfortable so I inherited it. I thoroughly cleaned it before it ever went to the range and have never had a hiccup from it. Well over a thousand rounds down range. Yes, the mag springs were tight but loosened up over time. It is now my BUG
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

1911 Raptor wrote:Never take a new gun to the range without cleaning and lubing first.
Have never cleaned or lubed a Glock or a Springfield prior. Right out of the box both brands run like a champ with no problems. After several mags, usually need a little lube. In fact and in practice, rarely need to clean at all.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Topic author
hankintexas

Post by hankintexas »

Went to another range today with the Wife and Daughter. They each had their carry guns, Walther PK380's and I brought the P938 and my P226 MK25.

Maybe it was the company I was with....... All firearms functioned flawlessly. The P938 mags are still stiff but will seat if inserted hard. I detailed the bajeebees out of it last night and lubricated it heavy. This morning, I wiped away the excess lubricant and put it away until we went to the range. Right now the only issue is shooting left of site about 1" at 15'. I can live with that. I think it is going to be a lot like my Kimbers, The more you shoot them, the better they become.

Much better day!
Hank Henry
NRA Instructor / NRA LIFE MEMBER / NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Bitter Clinger wrote:
1911 Raptor wrote:Never take a new gun to the range without cleaning and lubing first.
Have never cleaned or lubed a Glock or a Springfield prior. Right out of the box both brands run like a champ with no problems. After several mags, usually need a little lube. In fact and in practice, rarely need to clean at all.
:iagree:

My Glocks have all been good to go right out of box.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I think it's still a good idea to clean and lube a new gun first. I look at a cleaning more like an inspection. Has the gun been fired? are there any missing pieces.Anything cracked warped or bent. Is everything functioning and operational? Anything loose?

I never polished nor fluffed and buffed any of my weapons. Just inspect clean and lube. Rugers and Berettas just work. The stuff they put in a new gun can make the works a little gummy.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

I agree with cleaning and inspecting your gun before you ever shoot it as well. The reason I say is I had a gun do something that had the potential an AD if not handled correctly. I had bought a Taurus milienium G2 in 9mm because I heard good reviews and it was on sale. If this gun lived up to the hype I was goin to load it up after testing and keep it in my four wheeler for critter control. I got the gun Home and cleaned it and put it back together and was testing how the trigger felt. I then flipped ON the manual safety to make sure it worked and to my surprise when you pulled the trigger with the safety on you could hear the audible CLICK of the trigger going off. This was very alarming and I contacted Taurus and they even told me they have never seen that happen and to send it in. So I did and I got it back 8 weeks later and the problem was fixed. Due to my lack of trust I sold the gun. While if kept in my four wheeler I would keep the chamber clear and the safety on and there being virtually now chance of it ever goin up until I charged it I still didn’t trust it. I didn’t want to take the chance of it being loaded say at a range and someone somehow picked it up loaded and safety on and pulled the trigger and BOOM something happen. I plan to never let that happen and Everyone around me is gun safe and gun smart and knows never to put the finger on the trigger unless it’s in a safe direction and ready to shoot but accidents can happen even to the most experienced and most careful. Had I not inspected the gun and just shot it and chunked it in a box for farm use I would have never known. So moral of the long story is ALWAYS clean and inspect every aspect of a new gun. All that being said I do carry guns without manual safety’s but the guns with them I want them to function.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”