EDC knife

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 2

Re: EDC knife

Post by Pawpaw »

Take Down Sicko wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:59 pm PawPaw thanks for the link to BladeHQ. I just ordered the Boker Kalashnikov 103 for $39.99. MSRP price is $69.99. Delivery time is 4 to 8 days from Utah. Looks to be a good quality knife for the price. It will replace my old EDC knife Kershaw Thistle i bought at a walmart some 5 years ago. This Kershaw knife is for sale on this web site for only $12.99.
:tiphat:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Take Down Sicko
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Take Down Sicko »

Received my Boker knife from BladeHQ in the mail today.

ammoboy2
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ammoboy2 »

They have left hand versions as well.

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

ammoboy2 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:37 pm They have left hand versions as well.
I’m very tempted to order it, too.
NRA lifetime member

Take Down Sicko
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Take Down Sicko »

KC5AV wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:02 pm
If you do get one i don't think you will be disappointed. They are very nice knives for the price.

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

Just a comment that I've bought a couple of items from Blade HQ in the past, and they were quick to ship with accurate orders and good communication. I remember the last one (last summer) being about $15 less than I'd found at Midway, and standard shipping is free for orders over (I think) $99...though I never trust USPS delivery any more and always upgrade to FedEx or UPS.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

johncanfield

Post by johncanfield »

I was going to order an automatic knife from Blade HQ but as a civilian I couldn't. So I ordered my auto Benchmade (154CM) from House of Blades in the DFW area, love the knife.
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

johncanfield wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:25 pm I was going to order an automatic knife from Blade HQ but as a civilian I couldn't. So I ordered my auto Benchmade (154CM) from House of Blades in the DFW area, love the knife.
I'm just a bit surprised at that since they are legal in many states now.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

equin

Post by equin »

Great thread! I sometimes carry a small, old Case pocket knife like this one:

I sometimes carry a small Cobratec OTF like this one that comes with an emergency car window punch at the end of the handle:

https://cobratecknives.com/collections/ ... 9568296013

I know the Cobratecs are kind of a Microtech knock off, but they’re assembled locally here in my little town of Waxahachie less than a mile from where I live. Good customer service, too. It has a safety feature that keeps the blade from being accidentally fully deployed while in your pocket. I remember them telling me about this, but it had been so long since I had bought it I had forgotten how to re-adjust the blade during such an occasion and thought I had somehow broken it. I walked in, and without asking for a receipt they “fixed” it in less than a second and taught me how to re-adjust it again no questions asked. The guy even remembered selling it me even though it had been some time ago.

I recently came across a series of Gun Talk Media interviews and videos with a guy who trains with knives. For LTC carriers, he advocates getting confortable carrying and using a small fixed blade carried at the weak hand side. He explained that in the event of a handgun retention struggle, the strong hand will be preoccupied with retaining the gun. That leaves the weak hand to deploy a fixed blade (a bit harder and slower to open a folding knife with one hand) to defend with and push the attacker back and away from the holstered handgun during the struggle.

Here’s part one of the series:

https://guntalk.com/news/training/knife ... 020_17_19)

Here’s the first of the video series:

I’m no knife expert and never really thought of using any of my little knives for self-defense, just as a cutting tool when out and about. Thought I’d depend on my firearm and wits for defense if the need arose. But his explanation makes sense to me. I was wondering what y’all thought about it?

I do have some fixed blades I take with me when camping, but they’re too big for my EDC need. When I googled for self-defense fixed blades, I kept coming across the small Kabar TDI knife:

It seems like a good fit as a small, self defense EDC, but doesn’t look like it would be as effective to cut stuff up as a regular drop blade fixed blade. So I ordered an Essee Izusa II:

More expensive and more of a cutting tool than a dedicated self-defense knife like the TDI, but I think it would fit my needs more. It’s 1095 high carbon steel will require more frequent oiling, though, to keep rust at bay, but it should sharpen up more easily.
Ed

LTUME1978

Post by LTUME1978 »

AndyC wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:17 pm I carry a small fixed-blade myself - CRKT Obake Skoshi. Occasionally I'll carry a nice folder in addition to the Obake, but it's my primary based on my experiences during Ed Calderon's Weaponology course. It's also inexpensive and easy to replace.
Andy,

That is a small knife. How do you hold is so that your hand is not on the blade and the handle does not slide up you hand so that you are holding part of the blade?

thatguy

Post by thatguy »

AndyC wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:54 pm Pinch-grip between thumb and forefinger mostly; sometimes I anchor my thumb on the spine of the blade if I want a more powered stroke. It's a very grippy handle, even when wet - in addition to that, the handle is short enough that I can palm the butt-end of it against the inside of my palm which acts as a stopper.
Any recommendations on personal knife training in the Greater Houston area?
In the endless pursuit of perfection, we may achieve excellence.

Texas LTC and School Safety Instructor and NRA Training Counselor

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

Take Down Sicko wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:40 pm
KC5AV wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:02 pm
If you do get one i don't think you will be disappointed. They are very nice knives for the price.
And now they are all out of stock.
NRA lifetime member

Caliber

Post by Caliber »

I took a two-day hands-on Edged Weapons class from Steve Tarani and I recommend this class. I plan on taking his Non-ballistic Weapons class whenever things get back to normal. You can check his schedule on his website. https://stevetarani.com/ By the way, be sure to read his bio!

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”