If someone gave you $2300...

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
AFJailor
Posts in topic: 6

If someone gave you $2300...

Post by AFJailor »

So if someone gave you $2300 dollars (give or take) with the stipulation that it had to be spent on a gov't sized 1911 from Nighthawk, Ed Brown, Les Baer or Wilson, which company/model would you go with?

I just wanted to gather some people's opinions, I got authorized by the wife to just go ahead and get my dream gun in Feb. All my research on a 1911 under $1500 is now out the window and my head hurts with the possabilities. (Plus I am a little bored right now and thought this might entertain me.)

At the moment I am leaning towards either the Wilson CQB or the CQB Elite, depending on what price I can find for the Elite. However, the only weapon from all those manufacturers that I have fired is the Les Baer Concept II. The gun was very accurate and reliable but it just felt a little blocky and awkward in my hands.

My mind has changed a dozen times on what I want and it will probably change a dozen more before it comes time to buy my gun. It's kinda driving me nuts trying to decide on one, but I am pretty sure that whatever the final decision is, I will be happy with it.
USAF
SSgt, Combat Arms
NRA Member
ND CCL Holder
"I've got a firm policy on gun control. If there's a gun around, I want to be the one controlling it." -Clint Eastwood
Μολών λαβέ!
Sadly I lost all my guns in a boating accident in the Gulf of Mexico :(

G.C.Montgomery
Posts in topic: 3

Re: If someone gave you $2200...

Post by G.C.Montgomery »

AFJailor wrote:So if someone gave you $2300 dollars (give or take) with the stipulation that it had to be spent on a gov't sized 1911 from Nighthawk, Ed Brown, Les Baer or Wilson, which company/model would you go with?

I just wanted to gather some people's opinions, I got authorized by the wife to just go ahead and get my dream gun in Feb. All my research on a 1911 under $1500 is now out the window and my head hurts with the possabilities. (Plus I am a little bored right now and thought this might entertain me.)

At the moment I am leaning towards either the Wilson CQB or the CQB Elite, depending on what price I can find for the Elite. However, the only weapon from all those manufacturers that I have fired is the Les Baer Concept II. The gun was very accurate and reliable but it just felt a little blocky and awkward in my hands.
It's hard to go wrong with any of the candidates you've mentioned but if I had my druthers, I'd go with Ed Brown. Why? I can't argue that the quality of any of the companies is superior these days. Still, I met Mr. Brown and his son at the SHOTshow a few years back and had a pleasant conversation with them. The Browns were very helpful even though I wasn't buying anything at the time. Les Baer's attitude seemed to be that even after you bought and paid for the gun, it was still HIS gun. Wilson, well I've seen better personalities, let just leave it at that but generally speaking, his company provides good service. As you may know, the guys who started Nighthawk used to work for Bill Wilson. The more recent work I've seen from them has been on par with all the other builders out there but, early examples were spotty.
When you take the time out of your day to beat someone, it has a much longer lasting effect on their demeanor than simply shooting or tazing them.

G. C. Montgomery, Jr.

Bodacious
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Bodacious »

I would get a Kobra or Kobra carry. Those seem like the most unique of the bunch, to me anyways.

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

I am scared of empty guns and keep mine loaded at all times. The family knows the guns are loaded and treats them with respect. Loaded guns cause few accidents; empty guns kill people every year. -Elmer Keith. 1961

Kalrog
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Kalrog »

I would pick a $2000 1911 and spend the other $300 on something for the wife... so that she would let me do this again. :woohoo :anamatedbanana :cheers2: :hurry:

Shootstir

Post by Shootstir »

"So if someone gave you $2300 dollars (give or take) with the stipulation that it had to be spent on a gov't sized 1911 from Nighthawk, Ed Brown, Les Baer or Wilson, which company/model would you go with?"

Man, oh man! What a dilemma to have. Though I like the companies you mention, I'm a Kimber fan- BIG TIME. I would spend the entire $2,300 on Kimber product and you would get 2 guns instead of just one from the other companies. If you have done adequate research, you will find that Kimber can hold it's own against any of these products where the "X" ring is concerned. (Average Kimber price is $1,000 depending on model.)

Idea: Go to large gun show, offer cash for 2 Kimbers..say $900/each. Save yourself $500. Do something nice for the wife, or if you don't already re-load, buy yourself some basic reloading tools/components and start practicing. You will probably still have money left over.
NRA Lifemember
Kimber Pro Carry
(.45ACP)
CHL circa 1998

"If it comes at you snarling with tooth and claw, it's better to empty the magazine before asking questions."

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

Now, thats a tough one.

But....a mighty good predicament to be in. :smile:
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

ScubaSigGuy

Post by ScubaSigGuy »

My first choice would be a Springfield Professional. I know they weren't on the list but I have one and I like it, so I am biased. The Springfield Customer Service Department is top notch as well.Taking her to the range today as a matter of fact. :grin:

http://www.springfield-armory.com/custom.php

Next would be The Wilson Professional.

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/p_pmp.asp

Whatever you decide congrats and we'll be waiting for a range report.
S.S.G.

"A champion doesn’t become a champion in the ring. He is merely recognized in the ring.The ‘becoming’ happens during his daily routine." Joe Louis

NRA MEMBER

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Kalrog wrote:I would pick a $2000 1911 and spend the other $300 on something for the wife... so that she would let me do this again. :woohoo :anamatedbanana :cheers2: :hurry:
Now here's a veteran husband!

Chas.

G.C.Montgomery
Posts in topic: 3

Post by G.C.Montgomery »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Kalrog wrote:I would pick a $2000 1911 and spend the other $300 on something for the wife... so that she would let me do this again. :woohoo :anamatedbanana :cheers2: :hurry:
Now here's a veteran husband!

Chas.

See, I forgot to even comment on the wife input. But it depends on thw wife. In my case, I'd have to cut that $2300 budget in half, pretty much eliminating all the previously mentioned choices making only a Springfield Armory TRP or Kimber TLE a possibility. Then I'd be expected to take the remaining $1150 to buy some "small" token of love for my wife. And in the end, I still wouldn't be allowed to do it again. :cry: And that's why I maintain the super-secret, ninja-squirrel, slush fund for major purchases like guns or my new camera. Unfortunately, the fund is currently depleted and will remain so until after I've acquired three more lenses for the camera.
When you take the time out of your day to beat someone, it has a much longer lasting effect on their demeanor than simply shooting or tazing them.

G. C. Montgomery, Jr.

Topic author
AFJailor

Post by AFJailor »

I have looked a lot at the Kobra and Kobra carry, the bobtail look/feel is appealing to me. However, I want this to be a gun I can get into IDPA and whatnot with and I think Fullsize is definately the way to go. I like the Kobra fullsize as well, I love the plain slide look and the scales, but I dont know...there is just something about the Wilson CQB that draws my eye.

As far as getting my wife something nice...trust me I havent left her out. She's getting a Dooney and Bourke purse, I'm buying her a big massage/spa package and we are going to buy her a bar and a wine rack and stock them full with whatever she wants. (no we arent acoholics, theres just not much else to do in the frozen north :sad:)

At first she wanted a springfield EMP for a more powerful concealed carry weapon, however, we hardly get to the range now that our second daughter came into our lives. It is pretty hard to find someone to watch two young ones for a few hours...much less find someone I would trust with my girls.
USAF
SSgt, Combat Arms
NRA Member
ND CCL Holder
"I've got a firm policy on gun control. If there's a gun around, I want to be the one controlling it." -Clint Eastwood
Μολών λαβέ!

KinnyLee

Post by KinnyLee »

Without a doubt, Springfield Armory Professional. How can you say no to such beauty. ;-)

You can also have a Springfield Custom Carry with your choice of goodies, and size for about $2000. :grin:

My next choice will be Ed Brown Executive Carry. :cool:

Jungle Work

Post by Jungle Work »

Mr. Wilson or Mr. Baer and I would become good friends.

Jungle Work
From this day to the ending of the world we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother. CURRAHEE

Topic author
AFJailor

Post by AFJailor »

Just talked to the guy at sportingarms.com and he has some pretty sweet prices on Wilson and Les Baer, but when I asked him about Ed Brown he pretty much told me that he doesnt want to sell their products anymore. He said the customer service was just so rude that it made dealing with them not worth it. So maybe I will just stick with the two previously mentioned brands.
USAF
SSgt, Combat Arms
NRA Member
ND CCL Holder
Μολών λαβέ!

Jeremae

Post by Jeremae »

With that budget, I would either go with a Dane Burns or Ed Vandenberg custom built.
Reasonable gun control is hitting your target with the first shot.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”