And you made a poor choice of caliber as well

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: And you made a poor choice of caliber as well

Post by flintknapper »

jimlongley wrote:I'm glad to see my .32NAA didn't make the list.

OTOH, my big clunky .45ACP fits my big paws just right, so there is a benefit to having hands that don't fit into normal gloves and such.

By jimlongley at 2005-12-14

That IS a full size M1991-A1.
:eek6

Did you have a job at one time that required you to handle a lot of "Miracle-Gro"?
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

TDDude

Post by TDDude »

You forgot to mention the winner.

The best round to have......

The most desired gun in the room......
The most coveted round and the most drooled over weapon one could dream for.....

The most effective, man-stopping, BG breaking, noise making, nail driving, ammo eating thing on the planet.....

The gun everybody else in the room would kill for...........

.........is the one you have with you when the shooting starts.
Ray F.
Luke 22:35-38 "Gear up boys, I gotta go and it's gonna get rough." JC
-- Darrell Royal, former UT football coach - "If worms carried pistols, birds wouldn't eat 'em."

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jimlongley »

TDDude wrote:You forgot to mention the winner.

The best round to have......

The most desired gun in the room......
The most coveted round and the most drooled over weapon one could dream for.....

The most effective, man-stopping, BG breaking, noise making, nail driving, ammo eating thing on the planet.....

The gun everybody else in the room would kill for...........

.........is the one you have with you when the shooting starts.
Yup!

And no, I didn't do anything special to get these mitts, and there are times when I would gladly swap with someone with smaller hands. My late wife was a concert level pianist and had smaller hands, but was always jealous of my boogie base and that I could span as far as I could. OTOH, the only thing I ever learned to play was a barroom boogie and a chopsticks with chords. I was always jealous of her Bach two and three part inventions and Goldberg variations, not to mention Rhapsody in Blue.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

boomerang

Post by boomerang »

I'm happy to see you had nothing bad to say about .32 S&W Long.
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

NcongruNt

Post by NcongruNt »

flintknapper wrote:
jimlongley wrote:I'm glad to see my .32NAA didn't make the list.

OTOH, my big clunky .45ACP fits my big paws just right, so there is a benefit to having hands that don't fit into normal gloves and such.

By jimlongley at 2005-12-14

That IS a full size M1991-A1.
:eek6

Did you have a job at one time that required you to handle a lot of "Miracle-Gro"?
Mine are the same way. Here's a pic of me shooting my Hi-Power (same size as a 5" 1911, except with a thicker grip). It always surprises me how small that gun looks in my hands when I look at pictures from the range.

NRA Member
TSRA Member
My Blog: All You Really Need

eagleeye

Post by eagleeye »

You just had to start the hand pics. I have a hard time shooting a gun with a grip safety because by the time I get the safety down I'm afraid I'll shoot my finger.

I just got a M&P9 with the changable grips.. So far it works OK but I need the trigger further out.

O6nop
Posts in topic: 2

Post by O6nop »

What about 45 Long Colt? Pretty versatile as far as available loads. You can obtain or handload everything from light cowboy loads to those that out power the 44 magnum, with the right gun,. It packs an equivalent weight projectile or larger than the 45ACP. Options are single action or double action. The downside- only 6 rounds at a time, and a bit bulky.
I believe there is safety in numbers..
numbers like: 9, .22, .38, .357, .45, .223, 5.56, 7.62, 6.5, .30-06...

Topic author
iratollah

Post by iratollah »

From a poster on another board who got asked the same question:

.45 Colt: This clumsy cartridge is a dinosaur, a holdover from black powder days. It's an accident waiting to happen with modern smokeless powder, and its only reason for existence is that some little cowboys never grow up.
it's socially unacceptable to be ahead of your time.
L'Olam Lo - Never Again

O6nop

Post by O6nop »

iratollah wrote:
.45 Colt: This clumsy cartridge is a dinosaur, a holdover from black powder days. It's an accident waiting to happen with modern smokeless powder, and its only reason for existence is that some little cowboys never grow up.
Yea, that, too! :grumble
I believe there is safety in numbers..
numbers like: 9, .22, .38, .357, .45, .223, 5.56, 7.62, 6.5, .30-06...

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

So, what about .45Super?

:fire

casingpoint

Post by casingpoint »

Well, now. The stage is all set for the 327 MAGNUM. The first modern handgun caliber with any real power designed specifically for use in guns with short barrels. Excellent penetration and adequate expansion. Higher cylinder capacity than the same revolver in a larger caliber. Spot-on accuracy. The legendary dependability of a revolver action.

A seven or eight shot Model 10-K frame clearly would be an SD weapon to be reckoned with. Charter arms is already on first base in this respect with a 2.5 inch snub.

If and when the day comes, the ultimate measure of the caliber's desirability would be it's acceptance by law enforcement as an approved backup weapon to replace the ubiquitous 38 Special. The 327 MAGNUM appears to be a caliber designed from the ground up as an effective self defense round against humans instead of goats, cows, gelatins, wetpacks and waterjugs. Will it sell enough to catch on remains to be seen.

Exactly what the critics said about the 357 SIG and 45 GAP. Both now have strong followings.

But as popular rounds in semi jamomatic law enforcement guns, both could fall to a 12 round N-frame Model 327 Smith duty gun. Would the DPS abandon the 357 SIG if such a gun were available? Twelve for sure versus +/- twelve, maybe. :drool:

http://www.brassfetcher.com/index_files/Page607.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:fire :thumbs2:

casingpoint

Post by casingpoint »

bump

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

casingpoint wrote:Would the DPS abandon the 357 SIG if such a gun were available? Twelve for sure versus +/- twelve, maybe.
Nope. Revolvers will never become the primary service arm for American law enforcement or military personnel. Autoloaders have too many advantages over them, and jamomatics are things of the past unless you encounter a defective weapon or one in need of repair.

On the other hand, revolvers will probably never disappear as backup weapons.

The .45GAP is on the way out. Glock has stopped manufacturing guns for it because of very low demand. It doesn't do anything the .45ACP doesn't do except allow Glock to trim the grip size of their quarter century old design a bit for smaller hands - but other manufacturers have already figured out how to do that in guns chambered for .45ACP.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

casingpoint wrote:Well, now. The stage is all set for the 327 MAGNUM. The first modern handgun caliber with any real power designed specifically for use in guns with short barrels. Excellent penetration and adequate expansion. Higher cylinder capacity than the same revolver in a larger caliber. Spot-on accuracy. The legendary dependability of a revolver action.

A seven or eight shot Model 10-K frame clearly would be an SD weapon to be reckoned with. Charter arms is already on first base in this respect with a 2.5 inch snub.

If and when the day comes, the ultimate measure of the caliber's desirability would be it's acceptance by law enforcement as an approved backup weapon to replace the ubiquitous 38 Special. The 327 MAGNUM appears to be a caliber designed from the ground up as an effective self defense round against humans instead of goats, cows, gelatins, wetpacks and waterjugs. Will it sell enough to catch on remains to be seen.

Exactly what the critics said about the 357 SIG and 45 GAP. Both now have strong followings.

But as popular rounds in semi jamomatic law enforcement guns, both could fall to a 12 round N-frame Model 327 Smith duty gun. Would the DPS abandon the 357 SIG if such a gun were available? Twelve for sure versus +/- twelve, maybe. :drool:

http://www.brassfetcher.com/index_files/Page607.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is a review on the Ruger SP-101 in .327 mag http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-SP101-327.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They have one of these at the local gun shop in the case. I could see it being a pretty nice BUG. :thumbs2:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jimlongley »

Keith B wrote:
casingpoint wrote:Well, now. The stage is all set for the 327 MAGNUM. The first modern handgun caliber with any real power designed specifically for use in guns with short barrels. Excellent penetration and adequate expansion. Higher cylinder capacity than the same revolver in a larger caliber. Spot-on accuracy. The legendary dependability of a revolver action.

Here is a review on the Ruger SP-101 in .327 mag http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-SP101-327.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They have one of these at the local gun shop in the case. I could see it being a pretty nice BUG. :thumbs2:
Is that BT, Keith? I'll have to drop down there and look at it, even if I can't afford it.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”