Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Kevinf2349
Posts in topic: 1

Bore sighter gimmick or 'must have'?

Post by Kevinf2349 »

Hi y'all

I guess the title says it all really. Is a bore sighter laser a good investment or just a gimmick? I am not sure why I have the urge to get one given that for the most part the Glocks and the Springfield pretty much obliterate the paper where ever you point it but I am Mr Gadget :anamatedbanana and was wondering if this is a 'must have' gadget or not.

Thoughts anyone? :tiphat:
Glock - When a FTF just isn't an option!

04/24/09 - CHL Class
08/17/09 - Plastic in hand!

NRA & TSRA Member

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

"Society doesn't have a gun problem; Society has a society problem"

RECIT
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Bore sighter gimmick or 'must have'?

Post by RECIT »

I have used one several times on an AR15 when installing optics or new sights. It will get you on paper at 100yds, but not fine tuned. I would not buy one for a pistol but helpful for a rifle that you do not want to waist ammo for.
"I am a Free Man, regardless of what set of 'rules' surround me. When I find them tolerable, I tolerate them. When I find them obnoxious, I ignore them. I remain free, because I know and understand that I alone bear full responsibility for everything I do, or chose not to do."

jlangton

Post by jlangton »

IMO-for a pistol,No.
For a rifle,yes.
It's nice to be "on the paper" on the first shot when zeroing a new optic on that high powered rifle. From the shoulder abuse to the ammo cost-just guessing and using many more rounds than necessary sucks.
JL
"The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
-Thomas Jefferson.

6/14/08-CHL Class
10/15/08-Plastic in Hand

longhorn_92

Post by longhorn_92 »

RECIT wrote:I have used one several times on an AR15 when installing optics or new sights. It will get you on paper at 100yds, but not fine tuned. I would not buy one for a pistol but helpful for a rifle that you do not want to waist ammo for.

What is the best laser bore sighter (in your experiences)?...
“If you try to shoot me, I will have to shoot you back, and I promise you I won’t miss!”

NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Member

jlangton

Post by jlangton »

longhorn_92 wrote:
RECIT wrote:I have used one several times on an AR15 when installing optics or new sights. It will get you on paper at 100yds, but not fine tuned. I would not buy one for a pistol but helpful for a rifle that you do not want to waist ammo for.

What is the best laser bore sighter (in your experiences)?...
You didn't ask me,but this is the same design as the one I use.
http://www.opticsplanet.net/bushnell-ma ... 0001c.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Very simple,and it will get you "on paper" on the first shot.
JL
"The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
-Thomas Jefferson.

6/14/08-CHL Class
10/15/08-Plastic in Hand

JasonH

Post by JasonH »

Academy will do it for free, just call beforehand to make sure the guy who does it is there.

I just don't zero in enough optics to warranty me having a nice bore sighter considering I can go around the corner and have it done free.

They do work great though! Will definitely put you on paper.

RECIT

Post by RECIT »

JasonH wrote:Academy will do it for free, just call beforehand to make sure the guy who does it is there.

I just don't zero in enough optics to warranty me having a nice bore sighter considering I can go around the corner and have it done free.

They do work great though! Will definitely put you on paper.

I have used one similar to the link from optics planet. Mine is specific for 5.56 round. It works the same way and bushnell is a reputable brand. For 28 bucks it would be worth it. Mine was closer to 50 I think. I don't know about Academy though...I generally don't trust hourly idiots with my prized possessions. No offense to anyone working for an hourly wage, I just don't get that "how can we help you today" feeling when I go into an Academy. They usually walk the other way if you make eye contact with them.
"I am a Free Man, regardless of what set of 'rules' surround me. When I find them tolerable, I tolerate them. When I find them obnoxious, I ignore them. I remain free, because I know and understand that I alone bear full responsibility for everything I do, or chose not to do."

CompVest

Post by CompVest »

You must have a pretty ratty Academt! All the ones around me have excellent service/help.
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

Lindy

Post by Lindy »

Save your money. If you need to sight in a rifle at 100 yards, set up a target at 25 yards. Sight the optic or sights in so that the point of impact is about three-quarters of an inch below and directly under the point of aim. That distance, which will vary a bit as a function of the sight height over the bore, is created by the mechanical offset between the line of sight of the optic and the line of the bore.

That will get you on paper at 100 yards.
"Amateurs practice until they can do it right. Professionals practice until they cannot do it wrong." -- John Farnam

Stupid

Post by Stupid »

Really no need unless you cannot see through the bore. It does make bore sighting easier; however, there's one time that someone forgot to take that thing off before he pulled the trigger. The injury sustained was not too bad, but the gun was a total loss. If my poor memory still serves me right, that was an M1A springfield.
Please help the wounded store owner who fought off 3 robbers. He doesn't have medical insurance.
http://www.giveforward.com/ramoncastillo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.click2houston.com/news/26249961/detail.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”