Gun purchase question

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
74novaman
Posts in topic: 3

Gun purchase question

Post by 74novaman »

I'm on an iPhone or I'd look this up myself... Can a maryland resident with a mil I'D purchase a long gun in Texas? He's active duty, and moving from Colorado to Mississippi but would like to buy a new rifle while he's visiting. Thanks in advance for your advice!
TANSTAAFL

RottenApple
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Gun purchase question

Post by RottenApple »

74novaman wrote:I'm on an iPhone or I'd look this up myself... Can a maryland resident with a mil I'D purchase a long gun in Texas? He's active duty, and moving from Colorado to Mississippi but would like to buy a new rifle while he's visiting. Thanks in advance for your advice!
Yes. There are no residency requirements for the purchase of a rifle or shotgun. At least none that I'm aware of.

Hoi Polloi
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Hoi Polloi »

74novaman wrote:I'm on an iPhone or I'd look this up myself... Can a maryland resident with a mil I'D purchase a long gun in Texas?
I had to read that several times to understand.

Mother-in-law I'd purchase?
Mother-in-law wanting to purchase a long gun?
Mother-in-law ID... ahhhhh!
military ID

LOL. My internet acronyms are overlapping!
:patriot:
Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you. -St. Augustine
We are reformers in Spring and Summer; in Autumn and Winter we stand by the old;
reformers in the morning, conservers at night. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Topic author
74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

Sorry, phone typing is difficult. Yes, a military identification.
TANSTAAFL

Hoi Polloi

Post by Hoi Polloi »

74novaman wrote:Sorry, phone typing is difficult. Yes, a military identification.
:thumbs2:

It wasn't the typing (which I hate doing on a phone), but the filter I was reading it through that was producing puzzling results.
Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you. -St. Augustine
We are reformers in Spring and Summer; in Autumn and Winter we stand by the old;
reformers in the morning, conservers at night. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ameer

Post by Ameer »

If he's a Maryland resident, he can't legally purchase a rifle from a Texas resident. He may be able to purchase a rifle or shotgun from a FFL in Texas, depending on Maryland laws. For example, it looks like Maryland laws restrict a resident purchase a "regulated firearm" in Maryland or another state. He should be legal to buy a bolt action hunting rifle but an AR is another story.
I believe the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the personal lives of strangers and those who do not.

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

For a non resident of Texas to purchase a long gun they have be a resident of an adjoining State ie. New Mexico, Oklahoma, Arkansas and Louisiana. There may be some exceptions to this but, I am unaware of any. So the answer is No.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

i8godzilla

Post by i8godzilla »

MoJo wrote:For a non resident of Texas to purchase a long gun they have be a resident of an adjoining State ie. New Mexico, Oklahoma, Arkansas and Louisiana. There may be some exceptions to this but, I am unaware of any. So the answer is No.
He may be able to purchase a long gun at AAFES.
No State shall convert a liberty into a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor. -- Murdock v. Pennsylvania
If the State converts a right into a privilege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right with impunity. -- Shuttleworth v. City of Birmingham

apostate

Post by apostate »

MoJo wrote:For a non resident of Texas to purchase a long gun they have be a resident of an adjoining State ie. New Mexico, Oklahoma, Arkansas and Louisiana. There may be some exceptions to this but, I am unaware of any. So the answer is No.
I thought we fixed 46.07 last session. (2009)

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

46.07 deals with Texas residents purchasing firearms in another state. There's nothing about selling to a non-resident in there.
PC §46.07. INTERSTATE PURCHASE. A resident of this state may, if
not otherwise precluded by law, purchase firearms, ammunition,
reloading components, or firearm accessories in another state. This
authorization is enacted in conformance with 18 U.S.C. Section
922(b)(3)(A).
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Topic author
74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

To clarify, he was looking at going to a store, so it would be through an FFL. I wasn't planning on selling him one of my guns
(I hesitate to sell a gun to anyone once I've bought it. "rlol" )
TANSTAAFL

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Pawpaw wrote:46.07 deals with Texas residents purchasing firearms in another state. There's nothing about selling to a non-resident in there.
922(b)(3)(A).
I was thinking the very same thing. Since there's nothing in our laws that say he could not, it depends on Maryland's laws and whether or not they have something similar to our 46.07.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

FNguy

Post by FNguy »

Pawpaw wrote:46.07 deals with Texas residents purchasing firearms in another state. There's nothing about selling to a non-resident in there.
922(b)(3)(A).
What law deals with Texas residents purchasing alcohol in another state? I looked in the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Code and I don't see where it allows me to buy alcohol outside Texas. If I go to New Orleans and buy a hurricane drink at Pat O'Brien's, am I breaking Texas law?

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

FNguy wrote:
922(b)(3)(A).
What law deals with Texas residents purchasing alcohol in another state? I looked in the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Code and I don't see where it allows me to buy alcohol outside Texas. If I go to New Orleans and buy a hurricane drink at Pat O'Brien's, am I breaking Texas law?
Congratulations Captain Obvious! That was exactly my point. :tiphat:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

FNguy wrote:
922(b)(3)(A).

What you are missing is the federal law on firearms. 18 USC 922 (b)(3) forbids anyone from purchasing a firearm in a state other than where they reside. It has an exception for the purchase of a rifle or shotgun if the purchase meets the local state laws. A few years back some people started pushing the interpretation that this stopped Texas residents from buying out of state because it was not specifically authorized in our laws. While I go with the concept that everything is permitted unless it is specifically forbidden, others decided to clear up any possible confusion by putting in a section specifically giving permission. Given that i am neither a lawyer nor a legislator, no one really asked my opinion on this, so the law is as it was written.
Steve Rothstein

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”