M&P 9mm Jamming

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Commander
Posts in topic: 5

M&P 9mm Jamming

Post by Commander »

My M&P 9mm has developed a problem of intermittently jamming. Once was during a IDPA competition where it jammed the gun and locked it up. We found the round was damaged once we were able to get it out.

I was able to duplicate problem and took some photos. It seems to jam more on hollowpoints, however it will do the same with FMJ. The round appears to be headed straight inward and jams on the bottom face of the ramp instead of having a slighly upward trajectory and sliding up the ramp. I have cleaned the gun and buffed the ramp with a rotary tool, but still have the issue. I've also tried different magazines as well.

Anybody have any experience with this issue? What is the cure? Is this something a local gunsmith can take care of or is it an issue for Smith and Wesson?

"Happiness is a warm gun" - The Beatles - 1969

Commander

Divided Attention
Posts in topic: 2

Re: M&P 9mm Jamming

Post by Divided Attention »

Are these reloads? Here is why I as, and I am only trying to learn and NO WAY and experte.

The ONLY time I have ever had a feeding or extracting issue with my 9C or JG was with some "lite" loads, worked fine with hubby's 9C, but not his full size. These were wadcutters, and we finally figured out. My new weapons' springs weren't seeming to always allow full reset of everything, and hubbies full size was new, but his 9C was a gently used gun. He also has bigger, stronger hands, and overall the bullets functioned better for him. I could get 1 of 5 to function flawlessly.

The other thing I noticed from your awesome picture is the casing is curled under the projectile.... I have seen this happen with an old case reloading once before too.

Hope you find the answer... it is so not fun when your weapon is having issue. Good luck, and please share.
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; NRA RSO - 2011, NRA Chief RSO - 2014
NRA Pistol Instructor -2013, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor - 2015
Lifetime NRA Member - 2013

Topic author
Commander

Post by Commander »

No I don't reload or use reloads. The Hollowpoints are Speer Gold Dot and the FMJ Is Winchester.

I was able to recreate the problem by just racking the slide a few times until it jammed on one round after
Ejecting several of the exact same round. I did notice that even though other rounds loaded correctly
The pistol cycled roughly.
Last edited by Commander on Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Commander

Lodge2004
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Lodge2004 »

Have had the exact same issue with my Glock 34 a couple of times recently. Don't know the cause. Anxiously waiting to see if someone can diagnose on this thread.

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

Call S&W, they have a lifetime warranty.

williamkevin

Post by williamkevin »

I've got over 5000 through my M&P without a problem. Does this occur with the same magazine, or all of the ones you have? I would suspect this problem first.

DONT TREAD ON ME

Post by DONT TREAD ON ME »

I would look at the magazine itself, spring, and follower and make sure they are not only working properly but aren't damaged either. Sounds like the spring or follower is loose/broke or not positioned correctly.

I AM NOT A GUNSMITH, SIMPLY A THOUGHT and I try not to have those too much it hurts my head :leaving

Topic author
Commander

Post by Commander »

I've tried it with two of the five mags I have and it did it with both. Will try the other three just to see. I just sent an email to S&W customer service to see what they say.

The rounds appear to be pointing slightly upward as they should before inserting the mag into the gun. However once in the gun the rounds are almost parallel to the barrel.

Commander

Divided Attention
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Divided Attention »

Just a heads up... S&W just returned from a 12 day "shut down" - I don't know maybe they have a set, whole shop vacation, but they are running a little behind. I called right before the shutdown on a small issue and they were very prompt with my question, but when I emailed for the mailing label, I finally had to call back 3 days ago and hold for 15 minutes to get through. They were very nice, and I have my label.

Good luck I have no doubt they will make whatever it is right!
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; NRA RSO - 2011, NRA Chief RSO - 2014
NRA Pistol Instructor -2013, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor - 2015
Lifetime NRA Member - 2013

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

Feeding issues that "develop" out of the blue could arise from several core issues. Here are the possibilities that come readily to mind.

Magazine related issues include:
- feed lips that are out of proper alignment - possibly due to striking the ground during reload
- Magazine follower perhaps hanging up a bit inside the mag
- Magazine spring with incorrect tension preventing proper alignment as the cartridge is stripped from the mag

Firearm related issues include:
- Chamber obstruction - not likely for an intermittent problem
- Extractor tension incorrect - preventing the cartridge from sliding up the breech face properly
- Feed ramp - not likely for a problem that developed recently unless the ramp/chamber has recently become damaged
- Magazine catch - if the magazine is not indexed properly in the frame the cartridge may not feed properly

Given that this is an intermittent problem, the first thing I'd do is visually and manually inspect and disassemble the magazines, clean them thoroughly, and then lightly lube them during reassembly. This may solve/prevent the problem without having to send the pistol back to S&W.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

GeekwithaGun

Post by GeekwithaGun »

My M&P 9mm did this when I used a box of Winchester white box. Happened about 5 times, same box of 100 rd WWB. Ans this was after 100's of WWB, Remingon all FMJ, Speer gold dots JHP and Winchester JHP.

Since the last jam (casing was also ripped and curled under), I have not shot WWB and no jams or issues. I suspected the ammo and that particular box.
NRA Life Member

RAM4171
Location: On a dead end dirt road in the deep dark woods of East TEXAS

Post by RAM4171 »

I was there at DFW gun range when it happened to your gun one time. The way the case looked I assumed that it came from the factory like that. I quit buying WWB a while back because it leaves the gun so dirty. It is very possible that it is an ammo issue. I had never in over 30 years seen a gun do that to a cartridge.
Μολὼν λαβέ
Jesus was not politically correct, therefore I refuse to be
To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic-TN

v-rog

Post by v-rog »

a lot of the jamming may be due to limp wrist shooting. This may not be you but I had some issues with my 9c and I was allowing the pistol to move back after a shot and the slide didn't eject the bullet properly.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Remember 31 Connollystraße & Benghazi
Faith Under Fire ISBN# 9780307408815

Topic author
Commander

Post by Commander »

I returned the M&P to Smith and Wesson Customer Service for repair. Two weeks after I sent it off, Fedex delivered it to my door, which I thought was very quick service. Smith said they replaced the barrel and tested it without a problem. As a bonus, i discovered that they shipped it back with a new 17 round mag. I took it to the range and ran 200 rounds through it without a jam so it seems to have been fixed.

Commander

7075-T7

Post by 7075-T7 »

Commander wrote:Image

I have a .44mag round WWB that the brass is folded over on one side from the factory and therefore didn't fit in my Alaskan's cyl. Looks like a winchester issue for both of us.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”