Eye sight and getting older

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

doc540
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Eye sight and getting older

Post by doc540 »

trifocals here

trained myself to say, "head UP" so the front sight is clear in the middle of my trifocal lens

One of the IDPA range masters has heard me say it so many times he says, "Load and make ready...head UP". :mrgreen:
http://www.train2shoot.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Lifetime Member
NRA Instructor
"Shooting more, typing less"

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

All my life I had better vision than almost anyone, better than 20/20. I qualified to fly jets in the Navy, although I did not do so. Some years ago I noticed I could no longer read the Thomas Bro map book in the car at night, and things gradually got worse as the years went by. As my eye doctor said, "now that you need to read the stock tables, you can't!"

One of the shooters at our Bullseye meets here was a ophthalmologist. He suggested clip-on lenses to fit over regular glasses for shooting the pistol matches, Bullseye, IDPA, etc. This helped but there is nothing like being able to see everything you look at.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Trilogy

Post by Trilogy »

Keith B wrote:I wore glasses when I was younger to correct astigmatism, but had 20/15 or better vision. When I got my glasses in 5th grade, my optometrist said 'You will probably wear glasses for this up until you are about 30, then you will not need them. However, at 40 you will start needing reading glasses and around 50 start needing a little help with distance vision.' Well, he was dead on for all three.

So, to answer the question, I use stick-on bifocals on my shooting glasses. Charles has a thread on them here viewtopic.php?f=82&t=14335" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I originally found them at Walgreen's, but they quit carrying them. Walmart has had them the last time I looked in the reading glass area. And they come in strengths from +1 to +3 magnification.

The advantage to them is you can cut them to size and place them at any location you want on the lens. I only use one on my right eye (dominant) placed just below mid-point in the vision line. With both eyes open can keep the front sight and target in proper view.

This is a cheap alternative and works well for me as my arms seem to get shorter all the time. :grumble
I am also in the same place you are. I have always had 20/20 up until about my mid-40's. My eyes have gotten worse and my arms too short. I saw the post by Charles for the stick-on bifocals and needed to give it a try. I had been looking for them at every place tht sells optical readers and could not find them until yesterday. I finally called my optometrist to ask if she know where I could find them and she had them in stock. She sold them to me for $10.00. I'm going to give them a try and see how they work for me. If all goes well I'll keep with them untl i can afford/justify getting a pair of custom glasses for shooting.

Here is their website: http://www.stickonbifocals.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Keep up the research. somewhere on this forum you will find the answer that makes sense for you.
Trilogy
CHL Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor & RSO

Dusty Harry

Post by Dusty Harry »

Good idea about the different lenses Seabear. I just hit the ole' "double nickel" last week, and have struggled with the frustration of ever-widening groups with each passing year since I turned 40. The problem is clearly focusing on the front sight. It was nothing but a blur with bifocals, and in my variable focus contacts, I have, count 'em, TWO front sights to choose from! (hmmm..which is real, which is the mirage?)

Finally got my eye doc (Dr. Angela Blanchard in Cedar Park - she's great!) to write me a script for 'mid-range' lenses that are specifically regulated to be 'on' at 24". For about $100 had a pair of mono vision safety glasses made up that now reside in my range bag. Groups have returned to a size well under the embarrassment threshold inside of 15 yds., since at least I can now clearly see the sight picture. The problem now is seeing the target clearly, but I would rather have that fuzzy than the sights.

Admittedly, not a perfect solution, but a resonable alternative to nothing at all. Now, then comes the issue of what happens should I ever have to draw down for credit... know your realistic limits!
Professional Training, Competition, Risk Avoidance, Situational Awareness, Tactical Mindset, 100,000+ rounds down range - the hardware is the least important part of the equation...

Seabear
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Seabear »

Dusty Harry wrote:Good idea about the different lenses Seabear. I just hit the ole' "double nickel" last week, and have struggled with the frustration of ever-widening groups with each passing year since I turned 40. The problem is clearly focusing on the front sight. It was nothing but a blur with bifocals, and in my variable focus contacts, I have, count 'em, TWO front sights to choose from! (hmmm..which is real, which is the mirage?)

Finally got my eye doc (Dr. Angela Blanchard in Cedar Park - she's great!) to write me a script for 'mid-range' lenses that are specifically regulated to be 'on' at 24". For about $100 had a pair of mono vision safety glasses made up that now reside in my range bag. Groups have returned to a size well under the embarrassment threshold inside of 15 yds., since at least I can now clearly see the sight picture. The problem now is seeing the target clearly, but I would rather have that fuzzy than the sights.

Admittedly, not a perfect solution, but a resonable alternative to nothing at all. Now, then comes the issue of what happens should I ever have to draw down for credit... know your realistic limits!

Sounds like you have both lenses set to 24". obviously that won't work for distance. That is why my dominant eye is set to front sight distance, and the other eye is set for long distance. It works great. Having both set to 24" would be like wearing reading glasses. No worky too good.
Carry safe and carry when and where you can. I'm just sayin'.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”