Hunter looking for a partner

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
airborned
Posts in topic: 2

Hunter looking for a partner

Post by airborned »

long story short i am looking for a hunting partner. I live in Galveston and i have nowhere to hunt and deer season is around the corner. There is not a lot of public hunting in and around Houston except for the national forest. I have no idea where to start on how to hunt the National Forrest. i am unsure of property lines or anything about it. i have done research till my head exploded on the subject. So i am looking for a hunting partner who is willing to teach me how to utilize the National Forrest or someone who has a lease they need help with on payments or is looking for someone to lease to. I promise not to be a bum lol i have my own vehicle, guns, bows and a hunting background. I work for Texas Parks and Wildlife Department as a park ranger so i will respect all your property and animals on it. I love to hunt just about anything that's in season from hogs, squirrels,ducks, deer you name it.

I come from Oklahoma where there is nothing but public land and i have found it difficult to find hunting opportunities in Texas weather it is from lack of public land to outrageously priced leases. So what im asking is if there is anyone looking for a hunting buddy who is down for just about anything (as long as its legal) someone looking for help with a lease or looking to lease land send me a PM. I do have a beach house on the island so i can offer all the fishing you want. I am willing to travel 3 or 4 hours for a trip or a lease. Dont make me beg i look pitiful when i beg "rlol"

canvasbck

Re: Hunter looking for a partner

Post by canvasbck »

I used to live in Huntsville where the Crockett National Forest is. My advice, don't hunt there! I heard lots of scary stories about some of the unsafe things happening in there.

Texas has lot's of hunting opportunities, but they are primarily on private leases, some of the leases in East Texas can be very affordable.

South Texas is affordable if your really rich, or willing to sell all your belongings. :roll:

We hunt in the Hill Country, which is kind of in between the two price wise. I have pretty liberal guest privledges and I will be looking for folks to take up there to help us with Whitetail does as well as Axis does. Junction may be a further drive than you were planning.

Before I get inundated with requests to come kill a few does...........veterans and friends will get preferential treatment!
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

TomV

Post by TomV »

The Sam Houston National Forest is just north of Conroe. I didn't think the Davy got as far south as Huntsville, but I could be wrong.

Draw hunts start in July, watch the TPWD website for information http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. It's getting harder to get drawn, but the hunts are generally worth it. There are several near you. Do a search for the draw hunt on the Anahuac NWR. That is real close by to you. It's hard hunting, but you could also do some good scouting and find the deer and pigs. Something most draw hunters cannot (or don't) do. There is also a draw hunt for the Big Thicket NWR.

Purchase a Public Lands permit and get the book. There is some really good pig hunting really close to you. You could also get into duck hunting if you wanted.

I have hunted public land all my life. It's really not as bad as the horror stories make it out to be. I think some of that is people who are just looking to discourage competition. Be willing to walk. A lot. Be willing to put in the time and work to find the animals. They are well educated.

Sorry, I cannot be the hunting buddy you are looking for. I would love to swap hunting time for coastal fishing time, but it's too far for me.

Good luck.
http://www.3atatraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Topic author
airborned

Post by airborned »

I have the book and liceance i guess i need to spend some more time looking in it thanks for the replies im just going to have to try every plot of public land near me to find one i like.

harv418
Posts in topic: 1

Post by harv418 »

I am in the Same Boat. Except my boat has a 12 yr old boy in it as well... the Draw Hunts are fun. and you will see animals. We hunted Big thicket last year, and it was TOUGH to say the least. I intend to hunt Sam Houston this year, as well as draw hunts.

Canvasbck... any chance you need some does killed that a 12 year old can shoot?
Robert Harvey
Friendswood, TX

canvasbck

Post by canvasbck »

harv418 wrote:I am in the Same Boat. Except my boat has a 12 yr old boy in it as well... the Draw Hunts are fun. and you will see animals. We hunted Big thicket last year, and it was TOUGH to say the least. I intend to hunt Sam Houston this year, as well as draw hunts.

Canvasbck... any chance you need some does killed that a 12 year old can shoot?
I wish that I could say yes to that, bit our landowner will not allow minors to pull the trigger.
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

Kiowa Scout

Post by Kiowa Scout »

airborned wrote:long story short i am looking for a hunting partner. I live in Galveston and i have nowhere to hunt and deer season is around the corner. There is not a lot of public hunting in and around Houston except for the national forest. I have no idea where to start on how to hunt the National Forrest. i am unsure of property lines or anything about it. i have done research till my head exploded on the subject. So i am looking for a hunting partner who is willing to teach me how to utilize the National Forrest or someone who has a lease they need help with on payments or is looking for someone to lease to. I promise not to be a bum lol i have my own vehicle, guns, bows and a hunting background. I work for Texas Parks and Wildlife Department as a park ranger so i will respect all your property and animals on it. I love to hunt just about anything that's in season from hogs, squirrels,ducks, deer you name it.

I come from Oklahoma where there is nothing but public land and i have found it difficult to find hunting opportunities in Texas weather it is from lack of public land to outrageously priced leases. So what im asking is if there is anyone looking for a hunting buddy who is down for just about anything (as long as its legal) someone looking for help with a lease or looking to lease land send me a PM. I do have a beach house on the island so i can offer all the fishing you want. I am willing to travel 3 or 4 hours for a trip or a lease. Dont make me beg i look pitiful when i beg "rlol"
Texas Parks and Wildlife has public draw hunts and public hunting through annual hunting permits all over the state at the various Wildlife Management Areas and State Parks. Look online at their website to get more info.

You can also PM me if you like and I will try to give you some help. I am a Hunter's Education instructor and have hunted on several of these public land hunts throughout Texas.
"They all handle the sword and are expert in war; every man has his sword on his thigh, that fear be not excited in the night" Song of Solomon 3:8

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Also look into "draw hunts" on National Wildlife Refuges.

I know Aransas Wildlife Refuge has them.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Whoops, now there's a first come first served application process for deer and feral hog hunts at Aransas. Drawings are a thing of the past.

The refuge is teeming with deer and hogs and mosquitos by the jillions.

How do I know?

I was a resident refuge volunteer for a number of years - my specialty was clearing trails and breathing in mosquitos.

I would live there for 3 months at at time and loved every minute of it.

Charlies.Contingency

Post by Charlies.Contingency »

I'm about in the same boat as far as looking for a place to hunt. I live on land, but there's no deer for miles out here. I've tried a few hunts with the in-laws which ended up scratched, either due to weather, or due to scenarios such as a mountain lion moving in on the lease. I live out of San Antonio, and my wife is not happy about running on an empty freezer this year. I hunt to harvest meat, not for trophy mounts.

If anybody is looking for help clearing does or spikes, I'll come out! I prefer to glass stalk on foot, but I'll settle for blind sitting. If splitting a lease is your game, find one, and let me know, and we can talk about the specifics. I have my own guns, gear, and truck, and I don't mind sharing.
Sent from Iphone: Please IGNORE any grammatical or spelling errors.
ALL of my statements are to be considered opinionated and not factual.

Charlies.Contingency

Post by Charlies.Contingency »

Abraham wrote:Whoops, now there's a first come first served application process for deer and feral hog hunts at Aransas. Drawings are a thing of the past.

The refuge is teeming with deer and hogs and mosquitos by the jillions.

How do I know?

I was a resident refuge volunteer for a number of years - my specialty was clearing trails and breathing in mosquitos.

I would live there for 3 months at at time and loved every minute of it.
I know what you mean, I lived across the bay near rattlesnake point. I used to love going over to to the refuge, but I have never been able to get in on the hunts there. Now I live 2 hours away, and it seems less likely that I will ever get to hunt there. :cryin
Sent from Iphone: Please IGNORE any grammatical or spelling errors.
ALL of my statements are to be considered opinionated and not factual.

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

If anyone else is looking for a hunting partner, especially if they do not mind teaching a little, I have a 16 year old son who would love to take a doe or spike. I would not argue with it myself, but would be more interested in helping him get his first. He has been hunting once, but was unable to get the shot off before the deer moved out of his sight.
Steve Rothstein

TomV

Post by TomV »

Another resource:

http://southernhuntingland.publishpath. ... -for-lease" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.3atatraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”