2,000 fps 9mm and body armor

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Greybeard
Posts in topic: 1

2,000 fps 9mm and body armor

Post by Greybeard »

I stumbled across this video this morning. Not seen previously. We tested several types of ammo last year in simulated walls of sheetrock. This stuff penetrated the least in it, but ....... " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

BigBangSmallBucks

Re: 2,000 fps 9mm and body armor

Post by BigBangSmallBucks »

Now i want a Tokarev for my nightstand :???:

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

Greybeard wrote:I stumbled across this video this morning. Not seen previously. We tested several types of ammo last year in simulated walls of sheetrock. This stuff penetrated the least in it, but ....... " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is awesome. I carry this very same Liberty round in my EDC SigSauer, mainly because it's such a light round to carry, plus I've heard good things about it. This definitely reaffirms my decision to do so (and makes me want to buy a bunch more, just in case they decide to ban this as well).
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

ShootDontTalk
Posts in topic: 4

Post by ShootDontTalk »

Realizing that no handgun is really an adequate fight stopper, I think I will stick to carrying what has actually been proven to work best - for several reasons:

1) I see no need to be able to defeat body armor under any circumstances. If I'm facing armor, I should have brought my rifle.

2) There are numerous loads that are adequate for self defense here: http://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This data is from a world-renowned expert in wound ballistics. I think I'll trust his judgement.

YMMV
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!
Eli Wallach on concealed carry while taking a bubble bath

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Barnes has made solid copper bullets for years, but they aren't nickle plated. I met the owner of Barnes at a Thunder Ranch class several years ago and he had some very interesting information about the performance of their bullets. I intended to get some for 45 ACP and load them to a reasonable velocity for self-defense and then test them into various media. I haven't done it yet. :banghead:

I like the fact that they are much lighter than lead-based 45 ACP and I think they might be more comfortable for small 1911's like the 3" Kimber Ultra Carry.

Chas.

ShootDontTalk

Post by ShootDontTalk »

Here is a link to a more conventional test of the Liberty round using FBI protocol:

[youtube][/youtube]

This is the 9mm version. You should check some of the other loads tested by this guy. The FBI standard protocol is calibrated ballistic gel and 4 layers of specified denim. The standard for handguns is at least 12 inches and not more than 18 inches of penetration. Tnoutdoors9 does very consistent testing that correlates pretty well to professional lab results that I have seen.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

ShootDontTalk wrote:Here is a link to a more conventional test of the Liberty round using FBI protocol:

[youtube][/youtube]

This is the 9mm version. You should check some of the other loads tested by this guy. The FBI standard protocol is calibrated ballistic gel and 4 layers of specified denim. The standard for handguns is at least 12 inches and not more than 18 inches of penetration. Tnoutdoors9 does very consistent testing that correlates pretty well to professional lab results that I have seen.
That penetration is woefully inadequate for self-defense use.

Chas.

ShootDontTalk

Post by ShootDontTalk »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:That penetration is woefully inadequate for self-defense use.

Chas.
Yes it is. Sadly, there are a lot of "snake oil" salesmen out there. Someone actually sent me a video of a guy "testing" a self defense round using a watermelon. It would be great in the unlikely scenario of a watermelon patch invading your home!

I did a huge amount of research on adequate defense rounds for .380 ACP to carry deep cover. I later discovered that a guy going by the moniker of ShootIngTheBull410 had been doing the same kind of research using calibrated gel. Oddly one of the "new design" solid copper, CNC machined, non-hollow point rounds seemed to offer very good performance, but only over a very narrow range of velocities. Under 800 fps and above 1,000 fps it was just another FMJ. Between those velocities it performed as well as the best performing more traditional design (JHP) rounds.

All of which really means each of us needs to know what our carry rounds are going to do and if they will perform as advertised. That and don't jump at what the "snake oil" men are selling too quickly.

Robert*PPS

Post by Robert*PPS »

I bought some of these when they first came out. They were called "Halo Points". Microsoft didn't appreciate the likeness to their video game, hence the name change. The only FTF I've ever experienced with my pistol happened while shooting these rounds. Up until that point, I was tipping the mag with one of these followed by Federal HSTs. Now, I just load the Federals.

ShootDontTalk

Post by ShootDontTalk »

Robert*PPS wrote:I bought some of these when they first came out. They were called "Halo Points". Microsoft didn't appreciate the likeness to their video game, hence the name change. The only FTF I've ever experienced with my pistol happened while shooting these rounds. Up until that point, I was tipping the mag with one of these followed by Federal HSTs. Now, I just load the Federals.
Federal HST's are excellent choices. I use their 147gr load in my G19 and my wife carries them in her Shield.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”