Ghost Guns

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

tomneal
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Ghost Guns

Post by tomneal »

I am not really interested in building an 80% receiver. My machining skills are just not up to the task.

I am interested in changing uppers on my AR 15. And/Or changing the slide out on my Glock. It sounds like these new rules would prevent me buying an AR upper or a Glock slide UNLESS I go through an FFL.

ALSO, if I had one of these firearms and took it to a Gun Smith, Pawn Shop, of a Used gun dealer
They would have to add a serial number THEN added it to their Bound Book.

This could be interesting. In a bad way.
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

parabelum
Posts in topic: 3

Post by parabelum »

I wonder if or how that would impact modularity with Sig models (p320,365 etc)?

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

I thought congress made laws, not pResidents and their tyrannical agencies.

Shame on me for thinking.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Chemist45 wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:55 pm Defense Distributed has a small milling machine that will make a 100% lower out of a block of aluminum.
https://ghostgunner.net/zero-percent/

You can't stop the signal.
Does their machine exist? On their web site I can only find an option to place a deposit.

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

parabelum wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:32 pm I wonder if or how that would impact modularity with Sig models (p320,365 etc)?
The serial numbers are on the trigger/internal mechanics of the gun, not the frame of "body".
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Maxwell wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:51 am
parabelum wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:32 pm I wonder if or how that would impact modularity with Sig models (p320,365 etc)?
The serial numbers are on the trigger/internal mechanics of the gun, not the frame of "body".
Ah, correct! Thanks!

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

I built one (actually 3.....it took a while to get it figured out, but only kept one and destroyed my first two abominations) Polymer80 lower. It's serviceable. The issue with regulation is that the CNC technology to build an AR, or any small metallic item, is rapidly becoming widespread. Look at the Model 70 pre-'64, the Model 70 post-'64, the Model 70 Classic and the Remington 700. The Model 70 became the post-'64 because the huge line of machine tools and skilled laborers to man them became too costly. The post-'64 70 and Remington 700 addressed this with design for manufacturability. The Model 70 Classic took advantage of CNC machines becoming cheap enough on an industrial scale to allow for complex receivers and bolts to be milled again.

That process didn't end in 1990 with $500k 6 axis machines the size of a shipping container. The electronics were the secret sauce, and their cost has plummeted. The cost of a sufficiently accurate machining setup has also fallen some, but in aggregate the cost is now a tiny fraction of what it was. The fracture toughness of 3D printing is abysmal, but the idea of a cheap, widely available device that turns a CAD file into a 3D object is now common knowledge.

Security through obscurity has rarely worked, and in the case of firearms, it is currently in the process of failing. People will respond to that change by following their prejudices: some will try to regulate chunks of metal while others will continue to insist that we address the root causes of people killing one another.

Chemist45
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Chemist45 »

I just spoke to the Ghost Gunner people.
The Ghost gunner 3 will turn a 2 by 2 by 8 inch piece of aluminum (Or brass!) into an AR-15 lower.
The GG3 retails for $2500.

philip964
Posts in topic: 5

Post by philip964 »

https://apple.news/AAYZf3QsZQWeUhlF6vYmOxw

National guardsman pleads guilty to making Ghost guns.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”