Red Flag laws vs report dangerous people

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
TxRVer
Posts in topic: 1

Red Flag laws vs report dangerous people

Post by TxRVer »

I haven't started a thread here in years but have been bothered by the big question of how do you report the crazies like the shooter at Sandy Hook without the pitfalls of Red Flag laws? Where is the fine line?
Charlie

philip964

Re: Red Flag laws vs report dangerous people

Post by philip964 »

TxRVer wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:51 pm I haven't started a thread here in years but have been bothered by the big question of how do you report the crazies like the shooter at Sandy Hook without the pitfalls of Red Flag laws? Where is the fine line?
In CT the sheriff or police chief must approve every gun purchase in writing. Everyone in the town knew the son was lune, and yet the police chief approved every gun purchase the mom made and mom taught him how to shoot and took him shooting. She ended up dying for that decision.

It seems there are plenty of laws already, but no one pays attention.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

TxRVer wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:51 pm I haven't started a thread here in years but have been bothered by the big question of how do you report the crazies like the shooter at Sandy Hook without the pitfalls of Red Flag laws? Where is the fine line?
This is how we do it in Texas. https://www.ammoland.com/2019/01/texas- ... rder-laws/
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

To me, it all comes down to a question of due process. I am in favor of a process that includes a hearing, where the accused is allowed to present evidence, etc. before any weapons are seized. That process must also allow for the timely return of such weapons after a full trial takes place. And, of course, it should also include severe penalties for anyone who is shown to have made false accusations to initiate the process.

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:13 pm To me, it all comes down to a question of due process. I am in favor of a process that includes a hearing, where the accused is allowed to present evidence, etc. before any weapons are seized. That process must also allow for the timely return of such weapons after a full trial takes place. And, of course, it should also include severe penalties for anyone who is shown to have made false accusations to initiate the process.

:iagree: Sounds quite reasonable to me. Of course, most "Red Flag laws" aren't about actual public safety, they're just another excuse to take guns away from people without due process. (That's not pointed at you, soccerdad, merely my thought on the subject.)

Acronym Esq

Post by Acronym Esq »

oljames3 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:19 am This is how we do it in Texas. https://www.ammoland.com/2019/01/texas- ... rder-laws/
Excellent article, oljames!
The Article wrote:Under current Texas law, a person who is determined to be a risk to themself or others is not only removed from where they may access their firearms, but placed into a facility where they will not have access to other dangerous instrumentalities and will receive treatment. The new wave of red flag laws are ... not about protecting against the risks of those who are a potential risk to themselves or others, but about gun confiscation.
I just wanted to resurrect this thread to remind everyone that TEXAS HAS A BAKER ACT. It's much more powerful than a red flag law and it respects rights. Texas Health & Safety 573 and 574 (and 462 for drugs)

acronym 6/6/2022 8:56 AM

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”