Stepped up my game.....

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
JRG
Posts in topic: 6

Stepped up my game.....

Post by JRG »

I have a Glock 48 MOS. Today I purchased 3 Shield Arms mags and had the metal mag catch installed at Brownells in Iowa. So, after putting these mags through their paces, I will have 15 rounds in each instead of the normal Glock 10 rounders. That's what I call stepping up my game.

However, since it is a MOS version, I need some info about RMR's that will fit and work with it. Any ideas? Will I need to also get a plate to install said RMR on the slide? Total novice on RMR's here.

Thanks for your input.
Joe

tk1700
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Stepped up my game.....

Post by tk1700 »

I highly recommend the Holosun 507Kx2. Its a new version of the 507K and will fit the RMSC cut (Glock 48MOS and others) and the Romeo Zero cut. You can purchase it with red or green display. The dot is small, 2 MOA, but it also has a 32 MOA circle that greatly helps in target acquisition. It can be operated dot only, circle only, circle and dot or turned off. Controls are on one side and the battery tray is on the other side. The optic doesn't have be removed from the firearm to change the battery. One of the most important features for a self defense handgun, it has a shake awake feature. When you pick it up or draw the firearm, the optic turns on automatically. It will shut off automatically after 10-15 minutes of inactivity. Battery life is advertised at 50,000 hours, but I change the battery annually. There is also a notch in the rear of the housing that serves as a rear sight. You should be able to find it for under $300.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Annoyed Man »

tk1700 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:38 pm I highly recommend the Holosun 507Kx2. Its a new version of the 507K and will fit the RMSC cut (Glock 48MOS and others) and the Romeo Zero cut. You can purchase it with red or green display. The dot is small, 2 MOA, but it also has a 32 MOA circle that greatly helps in target acquisition. It can be operated dot only, circle only, circle and dot or turned off. Controls are on one side and the battery tray is on the other side. The optic doesn't have be removed from the firearm to change the battery. One of the most important features for a self defense handgun, it has a shake awake feature. When you pick it up or draw the firearm, the optic turns on automatically. It will shut off automatically after 10-15 minutes of inactivity. Battery life is advertised at 50,000 hours, but I change the battery annually. There is also a notch in the rear of the housing that serves as a rear sight. You should be able to find it for under $300.
So when the gun is holstered, but you are just walking around in a normal day, is the optic lit up, or off?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

JRG wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:55 pm I have a Glock 48 MOS. Today I purchased 3 Shield Arms mags and had the metal mag catch installed at Brownells in Iowa. So, after putting these mags through their paces, I will have 15 rounds in each instead of the normal Glock 10 rounders. That's what I call stepping up my game.

However, since it is a MOS version, I need some info about RMR's that will fit and work with it. Any ideas? Will I need to also get a plate to install said RMR on the slide? Total novice on RMR's here.

Thanks for your input.
Joe
I did the same with my G48 and G43. I put a Trigicon RMRcc on them and have had great success.

BigGuy

Post by BigGuy »

I have a Ruger SR9c as my EDC and Duty weapon. (Security) It came with two 10 round magazines and one 17 round mag. I always used the 10 round mag as it was easier to conceal. That was before losing my Job in IT and becoming a Security Officer. Once I started using it on my duty belt, out of habit, I continued to use the 10 round mag with the 17 round mag as a reload.
It finally occurred to me that as I now mainly carry it openly on my duty belt, I need to load the 17 round mag with two 10 round mags as reloads. With one in the chamber, I can make a loud noise 18 times before needing to reload. I suppose that is stepping it up in a way.

extremist

Post by extremist »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:06 pm
tk1700 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:38 pm I highly recommend the Holosun 507Kx2. Its a new version of the 507K and will fit the RMSC cut (Glock 48MOS and others) and the Romeo Zero cut. You can purchase it with red or green display. The dot is small, 2 MOA, but it also has a 32 MOA circle that greatly helps in target acquisition. It can be operated dot only, circle only, circle and dot or turned off. Controls are on one side and the battery tray is on the other side. The optic doesn't have be removed from the firearm to change the battery. One of the most important features for a self defense handgun, it has a shake awake feature. When you pick it up or draw the firearm, the optic turns on automatically. It will shut off automatically after 10-15 minutes of inactivity. Battery life is advertised at 50,000 hours, but I change the battery annually. There is also a notch in the rear of the housing that serves as a rear sight. You should be able to find it for under $300.
So when the gun is holstered, but you are just walking around in a normal day, is the optic lit up, or off?
It's on if you are wearing it. It only goes to sleep in static position. I have the Swampfox Sentinels on my P365s and they will also fit the G48MOS.
TX LTC Instructor, NRA Endowment Life Member, USPSA CRO
NRA Handgun/Rifle/Shotgun/Home Firearm Safety, Chief Range Safety Officer

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

On.. I have a 407k x2 on a G19 that I'm vetting. So far I like it..
Battery life is TBD. Turns off on the nightstand.

First one had to go back to Holosun for replacement. Would not wake without a firm shake. Replacement wakes upon a light vibration.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

BigGuy wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:50 pm I have a Ruger SR9c as my EDC and Duty weapon. (Security) It came with two 10 round magazines and one 17 round mag. I always used the 10 round mag as it was easier to conceal. That was before losing my Job in IT and becoming a Security Officer. Once I started using it on my duty belt, out of habit, I continued to use the 10 round mag with the 17 round mag as a reload.
It finally occurred to me that as I now mainly carry it openly on my duty belt, I need to load the 17 round mag with two 10 round mags as reloads. With one in the chamber, I can make a loud noise 18 times before needing to reload. I suppose that is stepping it up in a way.
[/quote

You could do even better by getting two more 17 round magazines for your duty belt and putting the two ten rounders aside for use in case you ever visit California.

:lol:
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Topic author
JRG

Post by JRG »

extremist wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:33 am
It's on if you are wearing it. It only goes to sleep in static position. I have the Swampfox Sentinels on my P365s and they will also fit the G48MOS.
That's good news. I am going to look at the Swampfox Sentinel.
Thanks.
Joe

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

Good choice on the Glock 48 MOS with the Shield Arm magazines. I picked up a Glock 43X frame off of Gun Broker last year after seeing that Suarez was selling slide packages with an MRD mount. This was before Glock started offering the MOS version. I waited a couple of months for it to be delivered and it arrived just as Glock announced the MOS version of what I overpaid for from Suarez. Granted what I have is a pretty nice package, a Glock 43 sized slide with a threaded barrel and comp mounted at the end, and a Holosun 507C on the top (basically comes out to the size of the 48 slide). I later added the Shield Arm magazine release and have 8 of their magazines. I had some teething problems with the Suarez plate coming loose but finally got that sorted out and I have used it in a class with a 500 round count and no problems.

I'm sold on using red dots now and bought a Glock 45 MOS and bought a milled slide for my Glock 17. All using the Holosun MRD on it. I would stronly recommend using the C&H Precision plates for the MOS. Plenty of info out there that you can Google or look up on YouTube as to why you should. The Holosun has a "shake awake" feature that turns them on when it senses movement to help conserve battery life. I've played around with it leaving it sitting on a table for a while and seems to work as advertised. The models I have on my Glocks also have a solar panel on the top to help take advantage of powering it when used outdoors during the day. Not sure if it's a gimmick or not but figured it couldn't hurt. Based on the 50K hour battery life and solar panel, I just leave it on all the time.

https://chpws.com/
Attachments
PXL_20210805_190609487.jpg

Topic author
JRG

Post by JRG »

Jose_in_Dallas wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:52 pm Good choice on the Glock 48 MOS with the Shield Arm magazines. I picked up a Glock 43X frame off of Gun Broker last year after seeing that Suarez was selling slide packages with an MRD mount. This was before Glock started offering the MOS version. I waited a couple of months for it to be delivered and it arrived just as Glock announced the MOS version of what I overpaid for from Suarez. Granted what I have is a pretty nice package, a Glock 43 sized slide with a threaded barrel and comp mounted at the end, and a Holosun 507C on the top (basically comes out to the size of the 48 slide). I later added the Shield Arm magazine release and have 8 of their magazines. I had some teething problems with the Suarez plate coming loose but finally got that sorted out and I have used it in a class with a 500 round count and no problems.

I'm sold on using red dots now and bought a Glock 45 MOS and bought a milled slide for my Glock 17. All using the Holosun MRD on it. I would stronly recommend using the C&H Precision plates for the MOS. Plenty of info out there that you can Google or look up on YouTube as to why you should. The Holosun has a "shake awake" feature that turns them on when it senses movement to help conserve battery life. I've played around with it leaving it sitting on a table for a while and seems to work as advertised. The models I have on my Glocks also have a solar panel on the top to help take advantage of powering it when used outdoors during the day. Not sure if it's a gimmick or not but figured it couldn't hurt. Based on the 50K hour battery life and solar panel, I just leave it on all the time.

So, does that mean I need one of those plates? Or do I just need it if I get the Holosun? I get so confused so easily.

Joe

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

JRG wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:17 pm
Jose_in_Dallas wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:52 pm Good choice on the Glock 48 MOS with the Shield Arm magazines. I picked up a Glock 43X frame off of Gun Broker last year after seeing that Suarez was selling slide packages with an MRD mount. This was before Glock started offering the MOS version. I waited a couple of months for it to be delivered and it arrived just as Glock announced the MOS version of what I overpaid for from Suarez. Granted what I have is a pretty nice package, a Glock 43 sized slide with a threaded barrel and comp mounted at the end, and a Holosun 507C on the top (basically comes out to the size of the 48 slide). I later added the Shield Arm magazine release and have 8 of their magazines. I had some teething problems with the Suarez plate coming loose but finally got that sorted out and I have used it in a class with a 500 round count and no problems.

So, does that mean I need one of those plates? Or do I just need it if I get the Holosun? I get so confused so easily.

Joe
When you bought the G48 MOS, were there any plates in the gun case? I picked up a G19 MOS a couple months ago and there were 3x plates, screws, & a hex wrench shrink wrapped onto a cardboard backer inside the case.

I mounted a Vortex Viper RDS on mine. The Vortex is alright, but it doesn't have the 'shake awake' feature mentioned above. Another pain with the Vortex is it has lock screws to prevent the zeroing adjustments from drifting or inadvertent movement; however the placement of these lock screws butt up against the rear sight. So, to zero the Vortex I had to loosen the lock screws; mount the RDS; zero the red dot; remove the RDS to lock the lock screws; re-mount the RDS; then re-shoot to confirm zero was still good. So, while I'm not un-happy with the Vortex, I will be looking for something different for the Sig 365 XL.

DanD

Post by DanD »

Mike S wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:38 pm I mounted a Vortex Viper RDS on mine. The Vortex is alright, but it doesn't have the 'shake awake' feature mentioned above. Another pain with the Vortex is it has lock screws to prevent the zeroing adjustments from drifting or inadvertent movement; however the placement of these lock screws butt up against the rear sight. So, to zero the Vortex I had to loosen the lock screws; mount the RDS; zero the red dot; remove the RDS to lock the lock screws; re-mount the RDS; then re-shoot to confirm zero was still good. So, while I'm not un-happy with the Vortex, I will be looking for something different for the Sig 365 XL.
I started using Red Dot sights for IDPA competitions a few years ago. Once I got the draw down and was not hunting for the red dot anymore it became a joy to shoot. I'm much faster with a red dot than iron sights, mainly because I can just focus on the targets instead focusing on the front iron sight.

My first red dot was a Vortex Venom. I had no problems zeroing the sight or it holding zero. The only issue I had was the battery door coming off. I resorted to using some blue thread lock and tightening it down much harder than I would like then it would stay on.

I'm now using the HOLOSUN HS507K-X2 micro-red dot that I now carry. The build quality is really good and the shake to wake is a very nice feature. I turned my red dot on 5 months ago and the battery will get changed out once a year on my birthday.

I can change the battery on both the Vortex Venom and HOLOSUN HS507K-X2 without having to re-zero, which is nice.
Given a 50/50 chance, you will pick wrong 80% of the time. NRA Life Member, IDPA

Topic author
JRG

Post by JRG »

Mike S wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:38 pm

When you bought the G48 MOS, were there any plates in the gun case? I picked up a G19 MOS a couple months ago and there were 3x plates, screws, & a hex wrench shrink wrapped onto a cardboard backer inside the case.

I mounted a Vortex Viper RDS on mine. The Vortex is alright, but it doesn't have the 'shake awake' feature mentioned above. Another pain with the Vortex is it has lock screws to prevent the zeroing adjustments from drifting or inadvertent movement; however the placement of these lock screws butt up against the rear sight. So, to zero the Vortex I had to loosen the lock screws; mount the RDS; zero the red dot; remove the RDS to lock the lock screws; re-mount the RDS; then re-shoot to confirm zero was still good. So, while I'm not un-happy with the Vortex, I will be looking for something different for the Sig 365 XL.
I went back to the box and scoured it. I found the torx tool to take off the cover plate screws. In the documentation it states "that the 48 and 43X with a MOS configuration have slide cuts designed for specific micro-optics and do not include adapter plates. Please contact the manufacturer of your optic of choice for compatibility."

So, that provides me with no help.

Joe

Topic author
JRG

Post by JRG »

carlson1 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:55 pm
I did the same with my G48 and G43. I put a Trigicon RMRcc on them and have had great success.
Carl,
Did the Trijicon RMR need a separate plate for your 48 MOS?

Joe

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”