1911 gun work

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
markthenewf
Posts in topic: 1

1911 gun work

Post by markthenewf »

Houston area: looking for a gunsmith to put checkering on the front & back strap of my stainless 1911A1 as well as a dovetail front sight. It's a milspec one with the front sight pegged in place and I'd like to change that.
Cheers!

Mark

flechero
Posts in topic: 2

Re: 1911 gun work

Post by flechero »

No offense to any local gunsmiths, but that's serious enough work to justify send it out. (although backstrap is just MSH swap) And if you are going down this road, you may as well make out the full & complete wish list and do it all at once, trust me it's WAY better than piecemealing! :lol:

There may be a great smith on Houston area but my point is to find the right smith, not necessarily a close one... Wait times are another killer sometimes...
My recent project went to Innovative Custom Guns in Pa. Jim is a fantastic Smith and machinist. (also worked at EGW earlier in his career)

Just checked APG and it looks like there may be a couple in your area to check out:

https://americanpistolsmithsguild.com/A ... tion/Texas

Just remember- pics when finished!

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

Agreed. Something like that, I wouldn't necessarily want to have someone locally working on that out of convenience. Because it's not like a cerakote job that if you don't like it, you can get it done again. No idea what wait times are with Wilson Combat but that might be someone to think about. I know it's a hassle to mail a firearm but really not that bad. And once you find a good FFL, it's always good to have one handy if you need to mail something back to a manufacturer or custom work.

LTUME1978

Post by LTUME1978 »

I recommend Ed Vanden Berg. He has done work for me on three 1911s and two shotguns and it has all been excellent. He is on the list of American Pistolsmith Guild. There are others here that will vouch for him as well.

flechero
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flechero »

I just looked through the list- several in the houston area. I'd start making a few calls next week if I were you.

AndyC1911

Post by AndyC1911 »

LTUME1978 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:18 pm I recommend Ed Vanden Berg. He has done work for me on three 1911s and two shotguns and it has all been excellent. He is on the list of American Pistolsmith Guild. There are others here that will vouch for him as well.
2nd for Ed.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”