Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Paladin
Posts in topic: 4

Re: IDPA-Branded Airsoft 1911

Post by Paladin »

carlson1 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:03 pm
Paladin wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:26 pm
puma guy wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:22 am Interesting that Green Gas has that name since it's propane; a hydrocarbon. I did some looking around and found that there are adapters for sale to use normal 1 lb propane cylinders sold for gas appliances such as heaters, stoves, lanterns, etc. I assume the adapter could be used with the larger cylinders by putting the adapter on the hoses that attach to a 20 lb bottle with the 1 lb cylinder connection on the other end. Of course always use caution when dealing with pressurized flammable gases.
The adapters work well for a small propane cylinder. Please note that Green Gas has a lubricant in it. A good propane adapter will allow you to add lubricant to the propane. This is what I use:

Mad Bull Propane Adapter Version 2 Oil Reservoir
Do you find it cheaper using the propane and then the lubricant or just more easier since you use so much. Just curious how the cost off sets buying propane and lubricant versus just the green gas. I do know the green gas is not cheap.
If you use a lot of gas, propane is the way to go. The lubricant required is small and goes a long way.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

carlson1
Posts in topic: 9

Post by carlson1 »

My 1911 came today. I know there some who may think this is a money pit, but I see a huge reward in this for me. The best I figure is green gas, BB’s, targets, etc.. equals to about .03 a round. Much cheaper than .45 ammo and range fee.
So it makes sense to me for me with my situation and location. I can work on skills and then go to the range once a month. Even on days I do not feel really well I can still walk to my back yard. Because of being in the middle of big “City” I decided to leave the orange tip in so IPD doesn’t just shoot me. The blow back actually equals the sound of a silencer on my wife’s Airsoft G19X. I haven’t shot the 1911 yet.

Topic author
Rafe
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Rafe »

Woo hoo! I didn't know you were buying one! Speaking of in-city practice and when not necessarily feeling as mobile as normal, I have a two car garage with some stuff around the periphery. Can only get one vehicle in there, but there's plenty of room for the one. If I scooch it over as far as it will go, I have room on the driver's side to position some of the IDPA cut-out targets. Haven't tried it yet, but I think this could be a decent option for practicing draw from holster in driving position and engaging targets through the window from up close to about 15 to 18 feet away. I don't have anyplace I could actually live-fire from a vehicle unless it was a stage in a competition. So a plus for a new kind of practice.

One of my biggest worries are when I miss the cut-out down-zero zones. Gonna have Airsoft BBs rolling around. Easy enough to sweep up if they're out in the open, but if they get behind the shelving and lawn mower and whatnot, I could be looking at months of accumulating BBs before I get to them to sweep them up. I don't want to walk out in the garage some wee hour of the morning and go skating across some BBs... :shock:
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Yes I bought the 1911 for me and the Glock for my wife although she carry’s the S&W EZ Shield it was close enough. I also bought the metal stands below along with thr IDPA targets. I am sure I will be using mostly paper targets on top of the IDPA targets. Stopped at Home Depot and bought my 1x2’s today and I also picked up a couple of the blue barrels you see on ranges from time to time. Preaching a conference next week so it will be two weeks before I get to try them out fully set up. Wife has already ordered NO BB’s in the house. I am sure my landscaping guy will be thrilled. :lol:

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

This guy has a nice set up.

Topic author
Rafe
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Rafe »

And his garage is almost empty and way too clean. :shock: My garage hasn't looked that clean since the day I moved in.

But some really nifty ideas in there, and just goes to show what you can do at home. I don't think I'll, uh, graduate to the 1/4 size targets anytime soon, though. And who knew you could find tiny poppers like that? They look about the size of my TV remote. But for some of the targets it looks like he's doing the same cut-out-and-cloth-capture method. And, yeah; I need to get on building at least one highly mobile and maybe collapsible cover barricade, maybe one with a center slot cut out of it so it can do double-duty: I can just pretend it's solid when I'm not shooting through the slot.

What's next? Swingers? A Texas Star for Airsoft? :tiphat:
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Well after about two hundred rounds my 1911 would not go into battery after shooting. Every round I would have to push the slide closed. I am assuming it is time to clean it already. Not for sure how to do all of that. Something else to learn soon. I do have a two cans of the silicone spray. We shall see. If you have any suggestions I am open.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”