Sellier & Bellot Rubber Buckshot.. Why?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
puma guy
Posts in topic: 5

Sellier & Bellot Rubber Buckshot.. Why?

Post by puma guy »

I don't know why this came in a message about defense ammo. I can only see rubber projectiles appealing to Law Enforcement for riot crowd control. Or maybe issued to trigger happy Capital Police.

Sellier & Bellot Rubber Buckshot Shotshells - 12 Gauge - 15 Rubber Pellets - 25 Rounds

KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

JRG
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Sellier & Bellot Rubber Buckshot.. Why?

Post by JRG »

Law enforcement overruns? I have no need for them though.

Joe

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Maybe there’s a commercial market for less-lethal options? After all, many of us also carry pepper spray and/or other compliance tools. Although I probably wouldn't buy this load, I can see how someone who is sort of uncomfortable with using deadly force to defend their home or family, might feel comfortable buying a shotgun and keeping it loaded with "rubber bullets"—believing that it will give them a means of forcing compliance and/or surrender from an intruder.

I already stockpile birdshot, buckshot, and slugs. I don’t personally want the potential confusion that could come stocking a 4th kind.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:38 pm Maybe there’s a commercial market for less-lethal options? After all, many of us also carry pepper spray and/or other compliance tools. Although I probably wouldn't buy this load, I can see how someone who is sort of uncomfortable with using deadly force to defend their home or family, might feel comfortable buying a shotgun and keeping it loaded with "rubber bullets"—believing that it will give them a means of forcing compliance and/or surrender from an intruder.

I already stockpile birdshot, buckshot, and slugs. I don’t personally want the potential confusion that could come stocking a 4th kind.
Appreciate your take on the question. Like you, I considered it could possibly appeal to someone uncomfortable using deadly force for defense, but when I consider the stories of attackers being struck multiple times by large caliber bullets and continuing their attack I don't think I'd trust rubber buckshot to be a sure way to halt an adrenaline fueled perpetrator. At the short ranges in a home defense scenario an ounce and a half of #7½ will make a significant wound area and in a vital area would most likely be fatal. I was loading my Win 1300 Defender with Federal LE #1 buck since it had 15 .30 1100fps pellets, but I found some 12 pellet 2¾" 00 buck .33 1290fps rather than the typical 9 pellet loads. I'm not worried about carrying thru the wall since it's just me and my wife and I would almost certainly have her behind me or in a known safe place should I every have the need to defend our home from an intruder.

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

i am thinking for MOLES in the yard
technically its not violating my HOA rules on shooting these critters, its rubber bullets and they only prohibit lead and steel shot???

but for an attacker, does not make much sense to me , might make them madder
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

jerry_r60

Post by jerry_r60 »

Made me think of the old school "rock salt"...I don't know if that was real or legend but my understanding, used to chase off trespasser, thief, etc. I don't know of anyone actually using rock salt just heard anecdotes.

We have talked on here before about not wanting to use lethal force to respond for property protection. In theory this might not be bad for that however how to practically use it like that??? Need one gun loaded with lethal rounds and one with this. Then you run the risk of grabbing the wrong one.

Boxerrider

Post by Boxerrider »

If I have to shoot, then it will shoot because I am in fear for my life.
If I need someone to stop endangering my life, then rubber buckshot is not the correct message to send.

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

I’ve seen this stuff marketed towards hunters as a way to deter dangerous animals without killing them. Other than that I don’t know what use it would be to civilians.

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

I hate to disappoint anyone who uses rubber buck shot in a home defense scenario, but it ain't gonna help that much. At that close a range, it is still a 12 gauge firearm being used and will probably penetrate the skin. I would not be surprised if it did kill in a inside the house scenario. And using a firearm in Texas is a presumption of deadly force anyway, no matter how it is loaded or what part of the body you aim at (shoot the legs?).
Steve Rothstein

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

srothstein wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:34 pm I hate to disappoint anyone who uses rubber buck shot in a home defense scenario, but it ain't gonna help that much. At that close a range, it is still a 12 gauge firearm being used and will probably penetrate the skin. I would not be surprised if it did kill in a inside the house scenario. And using a firearm in Texas is a presumption of deadly force anyway, no matter how it is loaded or what part of the body you aim at (shoot the legs?).
Wisdom.

…on top of which, I don’t ever want to discharge a shotgun inside the house if there’s an alternative. I’ve done it outside without earpro…ONCE while hunting…and it’s not an experience I care to repeat indoors. I’d do it if I had to, but only if I had no alternative. Fortunately, I have alternatives. This is why both of my HD weapons, an AR carbine and a G17 pistol, are suppressed.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

kragluver

Post by kragluver »

I bought a box for snakes that have come up on our patio deck. My wife is usually home alone when this happens. I have cautioned her about ricochet off the deck injuring her or breaking glass on our rear patio doors. I figured the rubber shot would kill a snake but not cause serious injury in case of ricochet. The round after the rubber buck shot is the real stuff and she knows that too.

The Krag rifle is the Swiss watch of MILSURPS.
NRA Member
TSRA Member

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

powerboatr wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:34 pm i am thinking for MOLES in the yard
technically its not violating my HOA rules on shooting these critters, its rubber bullets and they only prohibit lead and steel shot???

but for an attacker, does not make much sense to me , might make them madder
I have read that these are often marketed for non-police use as a way to get rid of unwanted critters of the four-legged variety without killing them. I would have to have a couple of boxes for testing to see how they hit at various distances, and these days, ammo of any sort is too expensive to just be playing around with, at least for the average person.

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

srothstein wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:34 pm I hate to disappoint anyone who uses rubber buck shot in a home defense scenario, but it ain't gonna help that much. At that close a range, it is still a 12 gauge firearm being used and will probably penetrate the skin. I would not be surprised if it did kill in a inside the house scenario. And using a firearm in Texas is a presumption of deadly force anyway, no matter how it is loaded or what part of the body you aim at (shoot the legs?).
K.Mooneyham I have read that these are often marketed for non-police use as a way to get rid of unwanted critters of the four-legged variety without killing them. I would have to have a couple of boxes for testing to see how they hit at various distances, and these days, ammo of any sort is too expensive to just be playing around with, at least for the average person.
Though the tests are not for S&B ammo I found a couple of sites with reviews of 12 Ga. rubber shotshells, buckshot and slugs. Less than lethal loads are meant to be just that, less than lethal. As one of the reviewers mentions; their use brings up an interesting legal question. Both reviews indicate they turn a semi-auto into a manually operated weapon. The slugs appear to me to be a better choice for anyone who wants to use these rubber projectiles.

Link to the TFB test.
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/201 ... ber-slugs/

Paul Harrell's test

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

jerry_r60 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:43 pm Made me think of the old school "rock salt"...I don't know if that was real or legend but my understanding, used to chase off trespasser, thief, etc. I don't know of anyone actually using rock salt just heard anecdotes.

We have talked on here before about not wanting to use lethal force to respond for property protection. In theory this might not be bad for that however how to practically use it like that??? Need one gun loaded with lethal rounds and one with this. Then you run the risk of grabbing the wrong one.
My dad told me a story about him and a friend getting shot with rock salt when he was a kid. They thought a farmer's watermelons were free for the taking. Needless to say, he dropped the melon immediately. Said his lower back, rear-end and upper legs burned bad for a couple days. Said that ended his watermelon snatching.

True or not, makes for a good story and lesson.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

mojo84 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:22 pm
jerry_r60 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:43 pm Made me think of the old school "rock salt"...I don't know if that was real or legend but my understanding, used to chase off trespasser, thief, etc. I don't know of anyone actually using rock salt just heard anecdotes.

My dad told me a story about him and a friend getting shot with rock salt when he was a kid. They thought a farmer's watermelons were free for the taking. Needless to say, he dropped the melon immediately. Said his lower back, rear-end and upper legs burned bad for a couple days. Said that ended his watermelon snatching.

True or not, makes for a good story and lesson.
When we were kids always heard stories about rock salt loads. Never experienced them myself. Reminds me of a story about a farmer who protected his watermelons by posting a sign saying "One of these watermelons has been injected with strychnine poison". Nest day there was a note on the sign. "two of these water melons have been injected with strychnine poison".

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”