Postal carrier dies from attack by five dogs.

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
LDB415
Posts in topic: 1

Postal carrier dies from attack by five dogs.

Post by LDB415 »

She should have been armed. And the FOOL neighbor who had a gun and fired into the air in a futile attempt to disrupt the attack should have shot the damn dogs.

https://news.yahoo.com/mail-carrier-die ... 58286.html
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

philip964

Re: Postal carrier dies from attack by five dogs.

Post by philip964 »

Fired in the air- geez

Paladin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Paladin »

Sad story about the death. Prayers for the victim and family.

I keep my OC spray in hand whenever there is any question about a dog being hostile. That keeps my reaction time/OODA-loop as short as possible.

If you have to shoot and don't shoot a dog before it makes contact with you, it can be remarkably difficult to get a clean sight picture. Dogs move continuously and quickly. Been there, done that.

What does work during a dog attack is point shooting, but not everybody has those skills.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I was attacked by a Coyote at the deer lease a few years back. The instant that dog didn't run away, I knew it was rabid or very sick in some way. It ran right at me and four shots later was dead at my feet. I know at least two shots connected but it is not easy shooting a dog running at you full steam. I really don't think OC spray would have stopped him.

Paladin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Paladin »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:23 pm I was attacked by a Coyote at the deer lease a few years back. The instant that dog didn't run away, I knew it was rabid or very sick in some way. It ran right at me and four shots later was dead at my feet. I know at least two shots connected but it is not easy shooting a dog running at you full steam. I really don't think OC spray would have stopped him.
Each situation is different, but dogs are very sensitive to OC spray and I have stopped a lot of dog attacks with it.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

cirus

Post by cirus »

I don't mess around with mean dogs. I've probably killed at least half a dozen over the years that have wandered up on my place and acted aggressive. AR or 12g. with 3" mags does the trick.

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Love dogs and have a Doberman. That said, I’ve been in enough protection classes with dogs to know how quickly just one capable dog can make your day, much less five.
Even having gun on you may not work, right away. No OC spray for me however.
Prayers for the poor lady and her family.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

The article mentions the dogs were "fenced". The fence appears to be concrete reinforcing mesh which obviously doesn't contain them. It's not designed for that. Prayers for the poor lady's family. Another case of pit bull dogs behaving according to their instincts.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Paladin wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:43 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:23 pm I was attacked by a Coyote at the deer lease a few years back. The instant that dog didn't run away, I knew it was rabid or very sick in some way. It ran right at me and four shots later was dead at my feet. I know at least two shots connected but it is not easy shooting a dog running at you full steam. I really don't think OC spray would have stopped him.
Each situation is different, but dogs are very sensitive to OC spray and I have stopped a lot of dog attacks with it.
That is not always the case. A couple electric company guys tried to get into my back yard without notifying us and the sprayed my two Rotties preventing them from entering. The spray had no effect and they were unable to gain entry. They left us a note complaining and telling us about the easement and all. I called to explain they were lucky I wasn't there since they are required to give written notice before entry and I would have been able to keep my dogs in and gate unlocked so they could have access to their equipment, but since that didn't happen they might have gotten themselves shot for attempted trespass and assaulting my dogs. Anyway, my experience is that OC spray effectiveness on dogs is hit and miss.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”