Anyone Else Remember Gibsons?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Anyone Else Remember Gibsons?

Post by RPBrown »

I have one of the Ithica 37 shotguns that my dad passed down to me. I don't shoot it anymore but it is still quite functional. He told me that he had bought it at Gibson's back in the day I just have newer shotguns I use. Not sure yet id I will pass it to my oldest grandson or my oldest granddaughter. She would probably appreciate it more since she is into skeet and trap shooting in college.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

Excaliber wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:16 am We have a Gibsons in Weatherford.

Their firearms section is huge, and they sell more guns than anyone else in the area, including Academy and Lonestar.

All the LEO's shop there. Great selection, great service, great people.

It's also a hardware store, clothing store, toy store - like a huge old time general store. I really like shopping there.
Yep, have bought several guns from the Weatherford store, along with knives and accessories. I’ve been into the Kerrville store a time or two but don’t remember if they had the same gun selection (or any) compared to Weatherford. Love doing business with them.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Mel

Post by Mel »

Sure, I remember Gibson......I used to have a Gibson 335. Great Guitars!
Mel
Airworthiness Inspector specializing in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft since the last Century.

crazy2medic
Posts in topic: 2

Post by crazy2medic »

GIBSONS was the Walmart of it's day!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

carlson1 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:59 pm I bought a bow and arrow there. My Dad bought me a .22 from there. It had to be the 70’s. Check out these prices…

Look at that Nylon 66, probably the best .22 semi-auto ever made.
-Ruark

jamminbutter

Post by jamminbutter »

Remember Gibson's very well. Growing up in Midland we had a very large one and my dad worked for them in Odessa for many years.

mr surveyor

Post by mr surveyor »

After reaching 21 years old in 1974, I bought my first handgun from Gibsons - a 22 cal H&R 949 revolver, It turned out to be a really good shooter (for about $40) but got stoilen in a home burglary in 1986. In our area, Gibsons and Treasure City were the beginnings of the big box store era.

jd
It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

jamminbutter

Post by jamminbutter »

carlson1 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:33 am Are there any Walmart’s that sale guns anymore?
The one in Bowie still has some rifles.

E10

Post by E10 »

The Kerrville store is everyone’s favorite place to visit, let alone shop. Very friendly staff. We like Candy and Wanda at the registers, and Mr. Buddy knows everything about everything. Good selection of firearms and ammo, and they’ve sold THREE of those crazy 9mm Gatling guns in the last couple years. Voted best guns store in town for the last several years.
A side note: I bought my first firearm, a .38 Special Ruger Speed Six, at the Duncanville Gibson’s in 1974. IIRC, $89.95. How time has flown.

GhostTX

Post by GhostTX »

E10 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:03 pm The Kerrville store is everyone’s favorite place to visit, let alone shop. Very friendly staff. We like Candy and Wanda at the registers, and Mr. Buddy knows everything about everything. Good selection of firearms and ammo, and they’ve sold THREE of those crazy 9mm Gatling guns in the last couple years. Voted best guns store in town for the last several years.
A side note: I bought my first firearm, a .38 Special Ruger Speed Six, at the Duncanville Gibson’s in 1974. IIRC, $89.95. How time has flown.
I make it a pointed effort to go there every time I visit my folks. That store was the best game in town for toys and models when I was growing up.
XD40 Service in Supertuck
"Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

E10 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:03 pm The Kerrville store is everyone’s favorite place to visit, let alone shop. Very friendly staff. We like Candy and Wanda at the registers, and Mr. Buddy knows everything about everything. Good selection of firearms and ammo, and they’ve sold THREE of those crazy 9mm Gatling guns in the last couple years. Voted best guns store in town for the last several years.
I think I need to make a run to Kerrville soon.

I first heard of Gibson's when I went to college in Lawrence, KS. I really appreciated them because they would sell me 22LR ammo without any problems. Back then, when I was 19, a lot of places would say it was illegal to sell me the ammo because it could fit a pistol. Having bought my first gun, a Marlin lever action 22, Gibson's said fine and no problems. Just had to log the sale in their notebook, like everyone else back then.
Steve Rothstein

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”