Standardizing on Glock 9mm....

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
JRG
Posts in topic: 1

Standardizing on Glock 9mm....

Post by JRG »

I am wanting to standardize on Glock 9mm for my carry and home defense purposes, mainly for the mag compatibility. I have the 19X for home and sometimes carry, but want something just a bit smaller for EDC. I believe my choices are the Glock 26 and the Glock 19. I can get the MOS version for the 19. I can also get the slide milled for a red dot for the 26, at extra expense.

What opinions do you guys have on my idea? Which gun is more shootable? Accurate? Easier to EDC? Better all around gun?

Thanks,
Joe

Rafe

Re: Standardizing on Glock 9mm....

Post by Rafe »

IMHO, the G26 is smaller than I want for typical EDC, yet too large--as in wide--for me for pocket carry. Everyone is different, but I've had both a G27 and a G26. The G26 is, obviously, easier to control than the G27, but I don't feel comfortable with accuracy at distance or follow-up shots with my little finger off the grip. So I considered them EDC eligible only with a magazine extension...which pretty much defeats the purpose of the subcompact size for carry since the height of the gun is generally more of an issue to cancelability than is the barrel length. But that's just personal opinion.

I have no experience with the 19X, but the 19 looks like its significant dimension difference from the 19X is that its overall height with standard-fit mag is 0.4" less. In the 19X, the G17 frame looks like it takes a recessed, flush-fit magazine while the 19 leaves the butt-plate hanging off and adding to the height. If that's correct, it doesn't seem like it's much smaller from a carry perspective. I guess maybe it comes down to handling both of them side by side to see if it's worth getting a 19 rather than a second 19X. There's always something to be said for having two of the same model of gun.

I checked the Glock website to make certain, but it seems odd to me that they offer the 19 in a factory MOS version, but evidently not the 19X.
Last edited by Rafe on Sat May 13, 2023 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

Had both in the past plus a 17. The 19 is definitely easier to control and shoot than the 26 plus added capacity. Yes, you can use 19 mags in a 26 but then why not just have the 19. If I were choosing between the two for myself there is no debate or choice, the 19. YMMV
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I had a Glock 48 and now I have a Glock 43. They are thin frame Glocks. You can change the mag release to a metal one and buy 15 round Shield Arms mags. Mine has not failed in three years that I have had them. Not one failure. I also had the slide killed for a RMRcc. Works great!

If between the G26 and G19 then I would have to choose thr G19 just because of the grip size.

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

i daily pocket carry a 26, in a desantis nemesis pocket holster with the 20 round magazine +1 for 21 rounds ready to go

Glock 26
sometimes with the glock 17 mag with a +3 piercegrip and the x-grip mag spacer for 20+1 rounds,

sometimes with the Glock 19 mag with or without a +3 piercegrip for 15+1 or 18+1

Every once in a while with the 10/12/13 round mag (10 round with +2 or +3 piercegrip mag extension, no x-grip is needed)

That's my BUG

primary is either a primary Glock 26 with 20+1 rounds & extended ported barrel
or
Glock 30S .45 with 15+1 rounds(using pierce grip +2 grip extension and x-grip mag spacer on a glock 21 magazine) in .45 or

of course the 30 round glock mags are under car seats, and scattered around the house etc. in case 42 rounds of my two EDC 9mm isn't enough. with two Glock 26 pistols at 20+1 guns each

yes i do own glock 19 and glock 17 but those are house guns, I carry 26s

x-grip rubber mag spacer seems to absorb some recoil

i have owned two glock model 17L long barrel ones, thinking longer sight radius longer barrel more accurate, i learned i shot higher with longer barrel sight radius due to glock grip angle and the 26 works great for me, and on the longer ones, i replaced sights with a taller front sight to shoot lower. 17L was so far off i sold them, 17 was shooting high, 19 was better, 26 i grouped where i aimed Range officer told me to carry the 26 after seeing me shoot several, it is more accurate for me.
ymmv

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”