Glock 20 SF Gen 3

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
carlson1
Posts in topic: 1

Glock 20 SF Gen 3

Post by carlson1 »

I am just curious if anyone Carrie’s a Glock 20 or even a Glock 21. I was fortunate enough to be given a Glock 20 SF Gen 3 unfired. It is tempting not to order a Safariland ALS and give it a try. I just like concealed carry better and I don’t think the G20 is easy to conceal without carrying IWB. I know the 10mm was accepted by the FBI after the shoot out in Miami Dade, but they couldn’t handle the recoil this the .40 S&W.

Here is a good video.

Looking forward to what the experts have to say.

Jose_in_Dallas

Re: Glock 20 SF Gen 3

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

I have a Gen 4 Glock 21 along with a 10mm conversion barrel that I use when I go camping in wild animal country (Northern New Mexico and Colorado). Love the gun but it is heavy for what it is, 13 rounds of .45 ACP. I have several holsters for it including a Safariland ALS. I don't feel it conceals very well and when I do carry it, I use an old Raven Concealment Phantom holster that really carries close to the body. When I took my first MAG-20 class, this is what I shot it with and I did good (don't know the score off hand). I transitioned to my regular carry Glock 17 years ago as it was much cheaper to shoot regularly.

If you want to try out the ALS holster, let me know. We still need to meet up at Shoot Smart sometime. I've been up there twice the past week so it may be a little bit before I go again. The AC is being replaced in the traditional lanes right now. When I went last week, it was really hot in there. When I went yesterday, they had it closed and had to use the private suite which I didn't care for much since I was shooting handguns and it was a little crowded with people that didn't know how to shoot :roll:

Rafe

Re: Glock 20 SF Gen 3

Post by Rafe »

The video surprised me just a bit. I thought the times on the steel plates would be noticeably faster with the .45 ACP.

And I've never shot the G20. But a friend of mine has a year-round, long-term deer lease (and a pretty snappy setup on his piece of property; more like glamping than camping, complete with satellite internet, two bedrooms, 65" TV). I've never been able to convince him to carry. His wife is fine with locked-up rifles in the house, but not handguns. But I did convince him that he absolutely did need a sidearm at the lease.

After much research and considering the limited purpose, what he chose was a G40 long slide with an RDS milled slide. He carries it in the field in a drop-holster. And I actually love that thing. It's definitely a thumper. Don't know what kind of muzzle velocity he gets compared to the G20, but I have to think it's at least a little bit higher out of the 6" barrel. And it's a bit heavier, but I think it's the overall length that makes it shoot like a smaller caliber pistol in terms of recoil. I wouldn't want to go taunting a full-grown berserk grizzly with it, but I don't think there's much in Texas deer country that could stand up to 15+1 of quality 10mm out of that 6" barrel. ;-)
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”