Colt Python New VS Old model.

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
puma guy
Posts in topic: 1

Colt Python New VS Old model.

Post by puma guy »

A question for any members who may have shot or may own both the older Colt Python and the new version. Is the new model double action as smooth as the old? I handled a new one at my local gun store in nickel or maybe it was stainless, anyway the workmanship seemed to be very good. I would like to see a blued model to see if they have been able to replicate the excellent deep blue that Colt did on the old Python.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

couzin

Re: Colt Python New VS Old model.

Post by couzin »

Owned three Colt revolvers in late '60s and early '70s. I have handled the most recent (in '23) Colt revolver products and, while smooth, they do not seem as smooth as I remember the old Colts (trigger smooth, glass snap, cylinder effortless). I guess the only real way to tell would be find a couple of untouched (no trigger jobs, no fluff and buff) Colts from back in the hand fitted days and compare them to the current crop. You are correct about the bluing on the old colts, it was beautiful.
“Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.”

carlson1

Re: Colt Python New VS Old model.

Post by carlson1 »

I have two Colt Pythons. One in four inch and one in three inch. I have not shot either one of them. In fact selling both. The cylinder is much larger than a S&W K Frame. So going with my S&W 66 2.5” and M19 2.5”. That being said I have dried fired the new one and they are not what my 1979 Colt is. It could be they just need shot and would probably smooth out some. They workmanship is still high quality I think.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”