Some interesting firearms rumored to be for sale

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
srothstein
Posts in topic: 2

Some interesting firearms rumored to be for sale

Post by srothstein »

I was in a hobby shop yesterday when a couple other customers started talking about Drivetanks Ranch and Museum. One former paid employee and one former volunteer said that Drivetanks will be shutting down and selling everything soon. I don't know what a 105mm Howitzer goes for these days, but they said they expect the Crazy Eights M4 to sell for between 4 and 5 million. Unfortunately, they do require ATF clearance for these as "destructive devices".

I am not able to verify this in any way, but if it is true and you want your own armor or artillery, you might want to start saving up.
Steve Rothstein

powerboatr
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Some interesting firearms rumored to be for sale

Post by powerboatr »

srothstein wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:14 pm I was in a hobby shop yesterday when a couple other customers started talking about Drivetanks Ranch and Museum. One former paid employee and one former volunteer said that Drivetanks will be shutting down and selling everything soon. I don't know what a 105mm Howitzer goes for these days, but they said they expect the Crazy Eights M4 to sell for between 4 and 5 million. Unfortunately, they do require ATF clearance for these as "destructive devices".

I am not able to verify this in any way, but if it is true and you want your own armor or artillery, you might want to start saving up.
i could use a howitzer,,,, that would drive my neighbor back to IL
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Do they have any Carl Gustavs? I’ve long thought that a Carl Gustav and 10 rounds of HE would make an ideal truck gun. :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

PUCKER

Post by PUCKER »

SWEEEEEET!!! Now if only I had enough land to "run" a tank on... :biggrinjester:

Butt seriously, I'm supposed to be looking at a HMMVW to purchase this week...sadly, nothing firearms-related comes with it...but it does have a nice pintle hitch...it could tow some serious howitzer action...think that would discourage tailgating? :biggrinjester: :cheers2: :tiphat:

gregthehand

Post by gregthehand »

As cool as that place is, I was worried it wouldn't ever make it. The cost to operate those machines and actually fire a round is just too high to really generate a steady flow of customers. Add in travel for people that don't live in the area, and it gets even more expensive. I'm sure a tank round (not sure if their tanks have the 75mm or 76mm gun) is really dang expensive. Then add in the $200 tax stamp for each round. Then add in the fuel to drive the tank around. Then add in the crew and other costs to operate such an endeavor. I bet the tank is $1000 an hour to operate without firing a single shot. Actually.... I went ahead and looked it up and then circled back.... It's $3500 to drive and shoot one round from the tank. https://www.drivetanks.com/tanks-tracks/.

Also, last I saw, they don't let you fire the tank from inside the turret due to insurance reasons. They run a lanyard through the pistol port and you stand about 20' away from the tank and yank the lanyard. You get to see the muzzle blast and impact, but you're not in the tank. Having fired and been in tanks (Abrams) when they fire, not being inside the tank just robs a lot from the experience. I've also fired smaller howitzers (M116) and it's fun. But, they want a lot to do it.
My posts on this website are worth every cent you paid me for them.

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

gregthehand wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:22 am As cool as that place is, I was worried it wouldn't ever make it. The cost to operate those machines and actually fire a round is just too high to really generate a steady flow of customers. Add in travel for people that don't live in the area, and it gets even more expensive. I'm sure a tank round (not sure if their tanks have the 75mm or 76mm gun) is really dang expensive. Then add in the $200 tax stamp for each round. Then add in the fuel to drive the tank around. Then add in the crew and other costs to operate such an endeavor. I bet the tank is $1000 an hour to operate without firing a single shot. Actually.... I went ahead and looked it up and then circled back.... It's $3500 to drive and shoot one round from the tank. https://www.drivetanks.com/tanks-tracks/.

Also, last I saw, they don't let you fire the tank from inside the turret due to insurance reasons. They run a lanyard through the pistol port and you stand about 20' away from the tank and yank the lanyard. You get to see the muzzle blast and impact, but you're not in the tank. Having fired and been in tanks (Abrams) when they fire, not being inside the tank just robs a lot from the experience. I've also fired smaller howitzers (M116) and it's fun. But, they want a lot to do it.
Thanks for the detail. And, wow. $3,500 to drive a little while and fire one round. I would not have guessed it to be that high, but when you break it all down and include maintenance, it makes sense.

And, yeah. Even if the only plan was to try to break-even with as a hobbyist pastime, ya gotta wonder what the business model looked like.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

That's the problem once you're "out"; Uncle no longer picks up the tab for the toys...... :???:
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Topic author
srothstein
Posts in topic: 2

Post by srothstein »

JustSomeOldGuy wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:52 am That's the problem once you're "out"; Uncle no longer picks up the tab for the toys...... :???:
That is my complaint.
Steve Rothstein

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”