The 1911 now retired from US military service

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
rtschl
Posts in topic: 1

The 1911 now retired from US military service

Post by rtschl »

You can read the full article here: https://redstate.com/wardclark/2023/10/ ... e-n2164750

The immortal 1911 really has no historical equal. It has been the longest-serving sidearm in U.S. military history. Almost every company in the business of manufacturing handguns today makes some variation of the 1911.

Ron
NRA Member

Rafe

Re: The 1911 now retired from US military service

Post by Rafe »

I wonder why, after the article title got it correct, that they let the error in the body of the article remain? In the article, Ward Clark writes, "After 123 years, the immortal Colt-Browning 1911 pistol has finally left U.S. military service. This is after a long history without parallel in the annals of American arms, a history that began well before the Great War." The article states 123 years twice.

Nope. Not 123 years. Otherwise we'd be calling it the 1900.

But, yeah. We knew about 20 years ago that the last orders by the military for 1911s had been placed. That didn't mean individuals in certain SpecOps units couldn't still elect to use them. I don't know if that's still the case. Something wiggling in my memory tells me that even the SEALs have to select a firearm type/model that's carried in inventory, even if they use one that's been customized for them personally.

Doesn't affect civilian carriers--which is one reason the 9mm in modern, hollow-point loadings has become so popular--but the U.S. policy (and again, I don't know if it's still the case) was to follow international protocol and use only FMJ bullets. So in some instances there was an advantage to the bigger, heavier .45 ACP.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

orionengnr

Post by orionengnr »

As a lifelong 1911 lover, owner, shooter and carrier, I salute JMB, the 1911, and (as a USN vet) I will even tip my cap to the USMC. :)
Finest semiauto pistol ever designed, and over the years, the vast majority of the handguns that have occupied my safe (and graced my hip) have been 1911s and S&W revolvers.
A legacy that was hard-earned and well-deserved.

equin

Post by equin »

My Dad had to qualify with one when he was drafted in the Army back in ‘69.
Ed

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

The CMP offers surplus 1911's. Grabagun has a sale on Tisas 1911's, which get good reviews, for as little a $319.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”