Surviving a Disaster - Lessons Learned

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
SRVA

Surviving a Disaster - Lessons Learned

Post by SRVA »

Here is a great document from someone who had first hand experience dealing with the results of Katrina. It is long but worth the time to read.

http://www.frfrogspad.com/disastr.htm

gigag04
Posts in topic: 1

Post by gigag04 »

It was very long, but a very good read! I am going to try and raise the "survival team" issue with friends of mine here at A&M and families we know here.

As younger college guys we can pull that later shifts of security and would feel more comfortable going out for supplies, while families could handle camp and food and stuff.

Thanks for the post!

-nick
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 2

Post by stevie_d_64 »

One of the things I learned is that it was a blessing to have a place to go...Like this guy, he had 1.8 acres...Lots of elbow room...

One thing I am working on is that I plan on prepositioning some "stuff" so that there will not be that much to bug out with...

That also means I will have certified copies of important documents so that I can use that if I can't grab the folder with that stuff...

I am also considering prepositioning and securing, so that no one knows or can use...ammo...For all my firearms...

And keep just enough down here for getting out of dodge...That of course does not include practice ammo...

I've already worked a deal with one family member up where we'd run to, to keep that prepositioned stuff secure and unmolested...They understand the big picture...

I think that is an outstanding link to some extremely valuable information to help you plan your bug-out...

I'm sure as heck am going to review it further and see if I can apply some of that info to my plan...

You did good "SRVA", thanks for the info...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

KinnyLee

Post by KinnyLee »

I had the pleasure listening to one of the rescuers on his experience with Louisiana while working for Blackwater. From what he explained, the people in New Orleans (I'm sure from most of Louisiana) are a very tribal group. Quite a few of them don't appreciate help, but they demand help. From what I've read on other forums about the refugees at the Astrodome, I tend to agree. I think they are quite different from us. But when it comes down to survival, I think people will dump their civilized manner and act aggressively just to stay alive. I guess I was one of the lucky ones who has not been approached by anyone while evaculating from Rita. Then again, I had enough sense to stay in a more well lit and populated area then an isolated rest stop. And just to be prepared, I had 2 loaded pistols within arms reach (one on me while the other in the glovebox) as well as a loaded 12 ga. in the back.
Excellent read btw. :)

USMC-COL

Prepareness

Post by USMC-COL »

This is "Must Read" material. Good capture of lessons learned.
Respectfully and Semper Fi,
F. Phil Torres
Colonel of Marines, Retired
Independent Security Contractor
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
Unarmed Combat Instructor
NRA Life Member

couzin

preparations etc.

Post by couzin »

Having a folder with important documents is fine for planned evacuations - but scanning everything into an image file (PDF, etc.) and writing the files to a CD is better if faced with cut and run. I have everything, wills, living wills, birth certs, personal documents and identifications, life/health/vehicle/house insurance, school records, on and on, along with digital photographs of my home and contents - on a CD that is in a safety deposit box and a second CD that is in safety deposit box of a relative in another part of the country. I also made a CD to give to my insurance agent that just has our house and contents on it marked with our policy numbers. I do occasionally update whatever needs to be updated and replace the existing copies.

Now - about those three cases of MREs I have stored in the garage...

CaptDave

Post by CaptDave »

+1 on the article. A very good (and, yes, long) read, but well worth it.
Also, good tips from the members as well.
"An armed society is a polite society"

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 2

Post by stevie_d_64 »

couzin,

Yep, having an electronic copy of those files (images) is another "portable" method of document retention...That may be better to have stored securely off-site, or wherever you may go on your bug out...

ANother thing to consider along with a CD disk...

One of those "flash card" keychain memory drives...I bought a Kingston 1GB keychain drive from Dell about 6 months ago...And have it handy just incase I have to save something quick or transfer it from drive to drive, instead of emailing it...1GB is plenty of room to stow a bunch of files if you need to...

Mine set me back about $120...They have other capacities like 128KB's to 4 GB's...$$$ is the driving part of how much memory/storage you want...They work with just about any USB ported computer...The USB's have some speed and transfer differences, but it works for the most part...

Just some more food for thought...

Maybe this tidbit should have gone in the Techy thread up there...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”