I have to learn altered shooting skills

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
P12
Posts in topic: 3

I have to learn altered shooting skills

Post by P12 »

I was fitted with "mono-vision" contacts. Since my right eye is dominant he put the reading lens in the left eye.

Now I have to learn to shoot right handed, left eyed.

This is going to suck. I've always shot pistol right eyed with both eyes open.

But, at least I can see the front sight, nice and crisp.

nemesis
Posts in topic: 1

Re: I have to learn altered shooting skills

Post by nemesis »

P12 wrote:But, at least I can see the front sight, nice and crisp.
You can see the sights? Ya got me beat.

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

nemesis wrote:
P12 wrote:But, at least I can see the front sight, nice and crisp.
You can see the sights? Ya got me beat.
Amen, did you think to ask about having the reading lens in your right eye? Someone on another board posted a similar thread where he had the reading lens fitted to his dominant eye. I'm thinking of doing the same thing there is an optometrist here in Beaumont who is a pistol shooter that I'm going to go see.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

too-tall

Post by too-tall »

I aint learned to shoot the "old" way yet and I've been shooting for 40 years. I would hate to try and learn a new way now....LOL
I may have to save up my money and get a Laser-Max or a set of Crimsom Trace laser grips.......

Too Tall
" Behind every silver lining,
there is a cloud..." NRA Life Member

Topic author
P12

Post by P12 »

MoJo wrote:Amen, did you think to ask about having the reading lens in your right eye?
We talked about putting the reading lens in the right eye. He said that my right eye is so dominant that I may not ever adjust to the mono-vision and may not be able to drive.

I also thought about getting a reversed set to shoot with. But, then practice and real life would be different. I think that will jump up and bite me in the butt.

So after a couple more weeks (if my brain adjusts to these lenses) I will begin practicing with my left eye.

I think I will start here a home by drawing with an unloaded gun in front of a mirror. I will likely have to cover my right eye with tape on shooting glasses to begin with.

sensei

Post by sensei »

I went through the same exact thing. Luckily my eye doctor is a shooter. We tried several combinations. Found that just what you are doing ended up being the best.

It took me about 1 month (shooting twice a week) to get to where I find that sight picture naturally. I have to squint abit to first pick it up. The only problem now is if I have on my glasses instead of my contacts. Then I shoot the old way. (Both eyes open.)

I figure for self defense I won't be too concerned about a sight picture anyway. Just get in the right area.

You can get a lens for the right eye made also if you are just going shooting, range, etc. I found I didn't need to do this after I practiced enough with the contacts.

sensei

bobrogers

Post by bobrogers »

P12 wrote: But, at least I can see the front sight, nice and crisp.
What's a 'front site'? I don't think my gun has one. :cry:
Bob Rogers
--------------------
Glocks 19, 21, 30, 34 (2) gotta luv em!
AR15 DPMS
IDPA
GSSF
Master of Space and Time

Lindy

Post by Lindy »

The first time I went into the shoot house at Thunder Ranch at night with my bifocals, I spent a bit of time on the first target moving my head up and down to get the front sight into focus. After some thought, I decided that what I needed to do was to ensure that the front sight was lined up on what I wanted to shoot, rather than to have it in sharp focus. It works. If the front sight is lined up on the target when the trigger breaks, you will hit it.
"Amateurs practice until they can do it right. Professionals practice until they cannot do it wrong." -- John Farnam

Topic author
P12

Post by P12 »

Thanks for the input guys.

It will be a couple more weeks before I start working on the adjustments.

I want to make sure that I keep these lenses.

By the way, I don't know if any of you guys suffer from migrain (sp)headaches, but to just let you know, getting the glasses off my head fixed mine.

And you want to know the sad part? I've had these headaches at least 3-5 per month for the last 30 years.

But, heh, they seem to be gone now. :D

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”