What’s best Mace, Pepper Spray, OC? Whatever...

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
mschadt
Posts in topic: 1

What’s best Mace, Pepper Spray, OC? Whatever...

Post by mschadt »

A few of the recent posts have me thinking since I can’t carry my Concealed Handgun to class and few other places, what is the next best thing?

Are there any laws / limitations on Mace, Pepper Spray, OC, etc. in Texas? I know some states limit the size (oz.) or the potency (% of something / Scoville Heat Units) of what you can have.

I keep hearing Fox Labs make the best. But what else is out there?

I saw a Gel version of a Pepper Spray at one of the local shops and the pictures on the package just scream painful.

Is the Gel or Foam truly any better than the spray? I imagine in a confined area like a classroom one of those options would be better than dousing classmates in spray.

So what's the best stuff out there for when you can't be armed or for when a threat isn't quite enough to justify pulling a gun?

Lumberjack98

Post by Lumberjack98 »

I've read on other forums that FOX is one of the best.
NRA Lifetime Member
TSRA Lifetime Member

onerifle

Post by onerifle »

Fox Labs.
"A man who asks is a fool for five minutes- a man who does not ask is a fool forever."

orc4hire

Post by orc4hire »

Last edited by orc4hire on Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 3

Post by stevie_d_64 »

"Fox one" :lol:

Flashback from my Navy dayz...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

ghentry

Post by ghentry »

Without having the experience of taking shots to the face with various products, I went with the suggestions of the carrying community. My wife and I have Fox 5.3

5.3 SHU sounds like some serious pain to me.

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 2

Post by txinvestigator »

I am certified in OC, I have been sprayed. Fox makes great stuff. I was hit with 2 million SHU, I can't imagine over 5. :shock:

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

txinvestigator wrote:I am certified in OC, I have been sprayed. Fox makes great stuff. I was hit with 2 million SHU, I can't imagine over 5. :shock:
I've heard some people who say they put that stuff on their eggs in the morning...

Obviously they're full of it...But funny when they say they would...I just smile and say nothing...

Tex...Did they ever mention (in those classes) that its a "really" good idea though to wash your hand(s) after you have discharged the device???

I know there's some neutralizing hand wash and towels you can use if a wash sink is not immediately available...Some PD folks keep that stuff in the trunks of their patrol vehicles...

I kinda wish that stuff was convienient for civilians to have on hand...Can't seem to find anywhere where that is available...

Sure they'll sell you the Fox (OC spray) dispensers...But when it comes to the things you may want to have to keep you from getting "too" contaminated...

Retailers are saying nope...L.E. only...

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me I suppose...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 2

Post by txinvestigator »

stevie_d_64 wrote:
txinvestigator wrote:I am certified in OC, I have been sprayed. Fox makes great stuff. I was hit with 2 million SHU, I can't imagine over 5. :shock:
I've heard some people who say they put that stuff on their eggs in the morning...

Obviously they're full of it...But funny when they say they would...I just smile and say nothing...

Tex...Did they ever mention (in those classes) that its a "really" good idea though to wash your hand(s) after you have discharged the device???
Unless it has dye in it I guess it could be edible since it is made from peppers, but I don't wish to test that theory. :(

I handle OC containers in class often to show the different types and as we discuss the laws regarding OC (see below) and I ALWAYS get residual on my hands. :oops:

Its showering the night after being sprayed that was no fun. The water seens to reactivate the OC, and of course it runs down your body to your................***shiver*****

Texas Penal Code
§46.05. Prohibited weapons.

(a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally or
knowingly possesses, manufactures, transports, repairs, or sells:

( 8 ) a chemical dispensing device

§46.01. Definitions.

In this chapter:

(14) "Chemical dispensing device" means a device, other than
a small chemical dispenser sold commercially for personal protection,
that is designed, made, or adapted for the purpose of dispensing a
substance capable of causing an adverse psychological or physiological
effect on a human being.

Scott Murray

Post by Scott Murray »

stevie_d_64,

The link mentioned above sells "Decontamination Wipes." I bought some when I got my Fox Labs key chain units. I didn't need them when I did my test. Somehow I avoided getting any on my hands. But It's good to have them available.

Scott

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Scott Murray wrote:stevie_d_64,

The link mentioned above sells "Decontamination Wipes." I bought some when I got my Fox Labs key chain units. I didn't need them when I did my test. Somehow I avoided getting any on my hands. But It's good to have them available.

Scott
I guess I am just overly cautious (need to break that idea)...

Reside myself to accepting some will get on your shooting hand anyway...Then you forget about it and start wiping things with that hand...The rest is history...

Its a mighty discomfort to have that stuff get on you...We carried the wipes and a bottled solution of decontaminate in the departments fire-apparatus and ambulances just in case we or L.E. needed it...

I've not been to lucky, or rememebr to ask for this stuff when I think about it sometimes...Muh bad...
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”