Hey 1911 guys...

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
JLaw
Posts in topic: 1

Hey 1911 guys...

Post by JLaw »

Had an interesting conversation with a fellow from work today. I found out he carries a Rock Island 1911 with a 4" barrell (Commander length??). He made his choice on the 4" because he felt is was easier to conceal a 4" than a 5". Does 1" really make it that much harder to conceal, even with a OWB belt holster? He did mention he was a little nervous about the 4" due to some 4" barrell designs having feeding problems, but has had no problems with this one. Is it just a myth that the short barrell 1911's have feeding problems?

Reason I ask is because I'm curious. I like this sort of stuff. And just maybe I'll luck into a 1911 purchase someday.

JLaw

PS- Sorry if I'm --------------- :deadhorse:. HaHaHaHaHa!!! Love those emoticons, Charles!

HighVelocity
Posts in topic: 2

Post by HighVelocity »

A Commander is actually 4.25".

Anyway, a 4" isn't a whole lot easier to conceal based on size but it is a bit lighter weight.
As far as reliability goes, I have 1911's in 5", 4" and 3" and they are run 100%. Some out of the box, some after a bit of tweaking. Most 1911's can be made reliable but there are some that are just plain poorly made and you'll break the bank trying to correct things that are "built in".

The 3" guns can be trickier than the longer barreled counterparts. A lot of folks complain about problems with them.

check out http://www.1911forum.com

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I carry a both 5" and 4" in 1911. I do not find any difference in concealment. In fact I use the same holster for both. The mag holster is also the same. I have never had a feeding problem out of either. I have the Kimber CDP Pro (Commander), the Colt Commander, and the Colt Government model. I find it easier to carry 1911 than I do a glock. IMHO.

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

I carry both a 3" and 5" and no problems concealing either. For me the 5" works better OWB than IWB but I believe it's because of my shape.

As far a reliability I've had no issues with either out of the box. Neither has missed a beat. I don't own any 4"ish 1911s so I can't comment on those. I hope to correct that soon.

Warhorse545

Post by Warhorse545 »

I got many full size 1911's and a couple of Springfield compacts. I do not see a lot of difference in keeping them concealed. And have had no issues with the compacts feeding. You can do a search on compact 1911's on the 1911 forum and read the good the bad and the ugly.

http://www.1911forum.com
TSRA Life Member

flintknapper
Banned

Re: Hey 1911 guys...

Post by flintknapper »

JLaw wrote: He did mention he was a little nervous about the 4" due to some 4" barrell designs having feeding problems, but has had no problems with this one. Is it just a myth that the short barrell 1911's have feeding problems?
JLaw
!
Barrel length should not be a factor as concerns feeding problems.

Shorter than 5" (government length) guns, will have a different cycle rate because the recoil stroke is shorter. If the firearm has the proper springs in it, it should cycle correctly...assuming: It is properly lubricated, has no burrs or tooling marks slowing it down, has a good magazine, and has a properly tensioned extractor.

We could talk all day about doing reliability work on a 1911, but suffice it to say.... that barrel length alone, does not determine how well a 1911 feeds.

It wouldn't hurt...if your friend put a set of "Wolff" springs in it, and purchased a "Wilson or McCormick" magazine for it...if he intends to use it as his carry pistol. Just my opinion.

The reviews I have read about this pistol are actually quite favorable. Just the same, "reliability" is THE word for carry.

Happy New Year all!

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Hey 1911 guys...

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

flintknapper wrote:
JLaw wrote: He did mention he was a little nervous about the 4" due to some 4" barrell designs having feeding problems, but has had no problems with this one. Is it just a myth that the short barrell 1911's have feeding problems?
JLaw
!
Barrel length should not be a factor as concerns feeding problems.

Shorter than 5" (government length) guns, will have a different cycle rate because the recoil stroke is shorter. If the firearm has the proper springs in it, it should cycle correctly...assuming: It is properly lubricated, has no burrs or tooling marks slowing it down, has a good magazine, and has a properly tensioned extractor.

We could talk all day about doing reliability work on a 1911, but suffice it to say.... that barrel length alone, does not determine how well a 1911 feeds.

It wouldn't hurt...if your friend put a set of "Wolff" springs in it, and purchased a "Wilson or McCormick" magazine for it...if he intends to use it as his carry pistol. Just my opinion.

The reviews I have read about this pistol are actually quite favorable. Just the same, "reliability" is THE word for carry.

Happy New Year all!
:iagree:

As the slide gets shorter, the timing gets more and more critical. The same operations must be accomplished in a 3" 1911 as in a 5", only much faster and with a smaller margin of error. As Warhorse545 said, you can read volumes on the decline (or not) of reliability as you go below a 5" barrel/slide. Some people swear by their 3" Kimbers and Colt Defenders, others have had insurmountable problems. I've heard and read of very few problems with 4 1/4" Commanders (or Springfield Champions @ 4").

I have the full range of 1911's: 3" Kimber (wife's carry gun); 3 ½� Colt Officers ACP (my BUG); 4 1/4" Commanders and 5" Government Models. I've had ammo that works in all of them, ammo that none of them like, and ammo that works well in the 5" Govt. Mod. but less well in the Commander and shorter guns.

My overall experience leads me to believe the shorter guns can be reliable, but you have to be a bit more careful about the systems, including ammo. Poor reloads will show up quickly in a 3" 1911! Limp-wristing, while always risky from a FTF perspective, is highly likely to cause a problem with 3" and 3 ½" guns. Trying to lower the slide when charging the pistol rather than letting it “slam� closed will jam a shorter 1911 more often than a 5" gun. These are just some of the issues we face with "short" 1911's.

If I didn’t think shorter 1911's could be reliable I certainly wouldn’t let my wife carry one for self-defense. They take more time and TLC and I require a longer break-in period before I pronounce one “reliable� for self-defense. That said, many people won’t let their wives carry them and it’s not because they like them more than I like mine. :lol: I also have to admit that the custom pistolsmith I have used for years will flat tell you his experience with customers is that a Commander ( 4 1/4") is as short as people should go when reliability is the prime goal. However, he also has and sometimes carries a Colt Officers ACP (3 ½�) but he addresses the issues we all face with shorter 1911's.

Sorry for the long-winded response, but it’s a subject I’ve spent a lot of time addressing over the years.

Regards,
Chas.
Last edited by Charles L. Cotton on Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

Good info!

To clear up one point...(and I know Charles knows this), the "Commander" barrel length is 4-1/4" instead of the 4-3/4" he inadvertently posted. Just in case we have a "newbie" amongst us. :)

As Charles pointed out, regardless of length.... make sure your weapon is "ready to run", if you plan on using it for carry.

And Thank You Sir, for providing this fine forum for all of us. I hope to see it continue to grow in the coming year.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

flintknapper wrote:To clear up one point...(and I know Charles knows this), the "Commander" barrel length is 4-1/4" instead of the 4-3/4" he inadvertently posted. Just in case we have a "newbie" amongst us. :)
Oops! Another "Sometimers" moment. :oops:

Sorry about that; I'll edit my post.

Chas.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

+1 for all of the above. I carry a Kimber Compac & totally reliable. As to the longer barrel being harder to conceal NO. The barrel has little to do w/ conceal, especially IWB. The 5" barrels have a one round larger grip & magazine. The larger the grip the harder to hide. Especially if you are small. That is the reason I think my Kimber is easier to conceal than a double stack Glock. Custom thin grips help another one eighth inch. Not a :deadhorse: issue. (Thanks from me too Charles. I have been waiting on a chance to use that one. :lol: ) Get a quality 1911 & you will love it.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

I carry a full sized 1911 daily, even in Texas summers. :thumbsup:
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

KinnyLee

Post by KinnyLee »

I've been carrying a full size 1911 90% since fall of this year. Most don't even know I carry unless they pat me down. lol. Sparks's VMII does wonders.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

KinnyLee wrote:Sparks's VMII does wonders.
Yes it does. It's surprising really. When you first look at one it appears too bulky to be comfortable, but when you put it on it seems so natural.

I've just started trying a C-Tac from CompTac and it's another holster that is surprisingly comfortable. And being a Kydex holster, it's also the fastest IWB I've ever used; even faster than the Sparks #1 Heritage and that's one fast IWB!

Chas.

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

Ahh Chas has been bitten by the c-tac bug. :lol:

It is fast and I like the ability to adjust the tension and the cant AND the ride height.

Kalrog

Post by Kalrog »

When (not if) I get a 1911 - the C-Tac is what I plan on carrying it in.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”