What to Carry??

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Drvajeep
Posts in topic: 2

What to Carry??

Post by Drvajeep »

I want to get my CHL, what is a good gun to carry, i like the S & W Sigma , but it is rather large. I bought my daughter a Taurus 24/7 pro c model, i like the size of it, but not the 10 round capacity

What is a litle bit smaller than the Sigma with about the same mag capacity

nuparadigm
Posts in topic: 1

Re: What to Carry??

Post by nuparadigm »

You'll get many answers to your question, but ....

A person needs to carry the weapon they:
(a) are most proficient with
and
(b) the most comfortable with.
The last train out of any station will not be filled with nice people.

Remember Newton and Azrak.

bdickens

Post by bdickens »

Ooh, ooh, ooh! I get to go first!

I would say that you should go to a range that has rentals and try a bunch of different ones out that you think might fit the bill.

Keep in mind that carrying will be a compromise on all fronts: dress, habits, size and location of gun, etc. Everyone would like to have a gun that is the size of a business card that transforms itself into a 12-Gauge shotgun when drawn.

Dress around the gun, but with only very minor alterations to your wardrobe, you will be able to hide a larger gun than you think at first. I'm a jeans and t-shirt kind of guy myself, and my Glock 19 vanishes under relaxed-fit jeans and a one-size-larger shirt. And I don't look like a ragbag, either.
Byron Dickens

bdickens

Post by bdickens »

Dang! beaten to the punch! I need to learn how to type for real.
Byron Dickens

Topic author
Drvajeep

Post by Drvajeep »

I think i'll go back to the gun show and handle a bunch of different guns, then i'll head on over to pasadena gun center and shoot a few different models

It never really crossed my mind to my CHL until a couple of weeks ago at a stop and go about 9:30 p.m. a guy got jacked for a 12 pack of beer by 5 young thugs. I was waiting in line to pay for a sprite when i noticed 2 guys at the magazine rack eye-balling me, well they were actually eye-balling the guy in front of me with a 12 pack of beer, he paid and was talking to one of the guys in the doorway, i paid and walked in between them and left, i made the block and when i got to the stop sign i just happened to look back at the store, because i had an eary feeling when i left, there were 5 guys beating on this guy, they saw me at the stop sign jumped in the car and left, turns out the guy was already drunk and didn't want any police involvement, so he left to

macktruckturner

Post by macktruckturner »

I second the suggestion to find out what fits your hand well, and what you shoot well. The largest bullet, in the highest magazine capacity on the planet is meaningless if the bullets don't go where they're supposed to go. Should you ever have the misfortune to have to even aim a weapon at another human, you gotta know for sure you're about to put lead where it needs to be, until the threat ceases. Fortunately, even jihadists are often stopped cold the the presentation of and clear intent to use deadly force.

For me, the 1911 offers everything I deem required in a fighting handgun. The Kel-Tec P11 does as well, when concealment options and other logistical requirements dictate I carry a smaller package. Neither leaves me feeling undergunned in any way, shape, or form.
I am the Infantry, FOLLOW ME!

Blog, photo site, Flickr page

TxCHL holder, NRA Member (EPL program), Combat Veteran (3/3ID, OIF3/OIF5), Constitutionalist

Bullitt

Post by Bullitt »

When I left the Army I purchased a Colt .380 Gooberment Model. It's smaller than the issue .45 cal I had, but breaks down just like it's bigger brother. The familiarity of the weapon is why I purchased it.

PhilR.

Post by PhilR. »

Drvajeep wrote: What is a litle bit smaller than the Sigma with about the same mag capacity
A Glock 26 would meet your requirements. They aren't hard to find, not greatly expensive, are totally reliable, and there are many aftermarket parts/supplies.

PhilR.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”